Shab95
Level 1: Cadet

Asus RT-AC5300 random disconnects (NBN)

Hi,

I've had this router for about 2-3 years now. I have FTTP and the router is connected as such (we don't use the landline and so don't need a VoIP setup). I have the router connected via ethernet to the PC and via wi-fi to roughly 6 or so devices at any given time.

Over the past few months 2 instances have occurred with my knowledge where the router will be unable to connect to the internet, the router light stays lit indicating a connection, the NBN modem indicates a connection to the internet. 

The occurrences happened identically, when waking up in the morning the internet is disconnected. The first time I managed to cold restart the router and it eventually fixed itself. The second time, interestingly, I accessed the router's settings and manually turned off the WAN connection and then reinstated it and it immediately connected. 

1 occurrence which hasn't happened again involved a strange issue with accessing Netflix and other media sites, causing the internet to disconnect.

This is a strange issue and I was wondering if anyone might have insight. Every other aspect of the connection and router is perfect.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Asus RT-AC5300 random disconnects (NBN)

Is IPv6 enabled in the router both on the LAN and WAN?

Shab95

Thanks for the reply.

IPv6 is a separate section in the router settings and it's enabled, settings within are:

Conn Type: Native

DHCP-PD Enabled

LAN Auto Config: Stateless

Auto DNS Enabled

Router Advertisement Enabled

cf4

Check that NAT acceleration is disabled (Advanced Settings > LAN > Switch Control > NAT Acceleration). This has cured the same problem in other ASUS routers.

Could also try changing WAN\Internet Connection\DHCP query frequency between "Aggressive Mode" and "Normal Mode"

Shab95

My apologies for the late reply, since I last rebooted and toggled WAN I didn't have any problems so I thought to leave it be to see what happens.

Then yesterday (and today) the issue occurred again so I've implemented both changes that you've suggested and I'll monitor it further to see if it happens again. 

Thanks for the suggestions, it's funny that Asus apparently recommends the normal query mode yet I couldn't find that information even in the router manual let alone elsewhere online.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more