aarfmann
Level 4: Private Eye

Asus RT-AX88U with Telstra Smart Modem 2

Answered

If I want to use the Asus router for wifi and lan, what is the best setup? Access point mode? Any settings in either modem to be used other than just connecting my Telstra modem with network cable? I don’t want to bridge the Telstra modem.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Asus RT-AX88U with Telstra Smart Modem 2

To use router as an access point just select access point in the routers settings. All other settings will be configure automatically. You don't need to change any settings in Telstra modem except perhaps to turn WiFi off if router is located close to modem. The only other setting you might want to change if you are still using the Telstra modem's WiFi is the WiFi SSID and password of the router to match that of Telstra modem. In access point mode most of the functions on the ASUS will be lost such as parental controls etc. 

View solution in original post

aarfmann
Accepted Solution

I have sorted it out. Had to repair the adapters a few times before the correct DNS settings were applied.

thank you

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4
Accepted Solution

To use router as an access point just select access point in the routers settings. All other settings will be configure automatically. You don't need to change any settings in Telstra modem except perhaps to turn WiFi off if router is located close to modem. The only other setting you might want to change if you are still using the Telstra modem's WiFi is the WiFi SSID and password of the router to match that of Telstra modem. In access point mode most of the functions on the ASUS will be lost such as parental controls etc. 

aarfmann

Thanks CF4

Does access point mode affect using the asus router for all LAN connections?

cf4

In access point mode devices can still connect to the ASUS's LAN ports but all devices connected to ASUS WiFi or LAN ports LAN IP addresses and internet access will be controlled by the Telstra modem.

aarfmann

Are there restrictions placed on powerline adaptors being connected to the router? One of my adaptors connects but has no internet.

cf4

There are no known restrictions on what type of power line adapters can be connected. Do devices connected to remote adapter get a IP address and is the IPv4 address  in the address range of the modem (192.168.0.xx)? 

aarfmann

Yes to both. I have had issues with my Telstra NBN dropping out and have reset the modem a few time, so I might reset and pair the adaptors again.

aarfmann
Accepted Solution

I have sorted it out. Had to repair the adapters a few times before the correct DNS settings were applied.

thank you

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more