Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond Cable - Optimal Router / Modem - How do I change from original 1930's Netgear CGD24N

Answered

Hey Crowdfolks,

A big stress that I don’t imagine is a unique problem, that i have accepted and tolerated until now has reached intolerable levels. I suspect having a legacy out-dated modem and router is probably a key factor.

My Environment

I have everything bundled - Cable (Bigpond Elite Liberty 500Gb), home phone, foxtel from Telstra and 3 mobile services. I have been a Telstra customer for well over a decade and my Bigpond was first connected in 2009 I have a NetGear CDG24N.

My Problem/s

1: Range and Speed

Whilst my Ethernet connected speeds are fantastic, my Wi-Fi range and speeds are absolutely rubbish. I have now placed a NetGear extender on my network to at least mitigate the drop outs, due to range of cgd24n being approximately 3 to 4 meters unless direct uninterrupted line of sight maintained. Which is not possible in our domestic configuration and with a now mobile infant in the house even less so.

For example: If my daughter is looking at YouTube on an iPad, the rest of us have either painfully slow responses and page loading times or complete loss of connectivity. 

2: Security and Control

My daughter is a typical 13 year old in most regards, however she has Autism Spectrum Disorder which has manifest in a great deal of naivety and forgetfulness. Subsequently I'd like to have a router based option to enable parental control and URL monitoring and logging, the current difficulty and stress of keeping a watchful protective eye over her is wearing me down!

My Devices and Connectivity Needs

We have connected at our peak time:

• Ethernet: Desktop PC and Smart TV
  • via Netcomm power line: Foxtel IQ box (x2 but only working on one)
  • Wi-Fi via NetGear extender, 2 x IPad’s, 3 x Mobiles and possibly 1x notebook

What I’ve learnt so far

My research into this has certainly given me some insight that my modem/router, the original NetGear CGD24N is somewhat famous or infamous for being quite poor. 

I have read that I could perhaps turn NAT off on the existing NetGear and turn it into a modem, and then get a router that will achieve better connectivity and range as well as boosting speed? 

My Questions

1. What would be the best setup with Bigpond cable, to deliver reliable connectivity and range along with delivering reasonable speeds for me and giving me appropriate parental controls?
  2. Extending on Q1. Are there specific brand and models Modems, Routers, Modem/Routers, and any other products that would be considered Excellent and also any that are Best in Class and more than sufficient?
  3. is there a plan or product upgrade I should be considering?
  4. I originally went down the path of attempting to use OpenDns before realising how locked down the Bigpond branded cable is, is that something a change in hardware/firmware and setup would still benefit from and if so does that alter any recommended products? 

In Conclusion

I have a reasonable degree of technical capability, above average but below expert, ideally given i suspect this is not a unique situation perhaps we could keep any advice at that level of understanding it could serve others as well.

Thanks for taking the time to review my significantly frustrating scenario - Having cable internet and having my limit increased by 60% as a loyalty thank you (and thank you for that Telstra) from 200Gb to 500Gb yet not being able to even use YouTube without upsetting the family and being protective parent of an at risk child I’ve reached my wits end and need all the help guidance and advice I can get….

Sincerely yours,

SpecialDave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Bigpond Cable - Optimal Router / Modem - How do I change from original 1930's Netgear CGD24N

Hi SpecialDave, 

If your connection is working then there is no impact on how we have listed your address in our billing systems. If your account was incorrect (in terms of connection) you would have no access whatsoever. With the form I included in my last post our team can rectify the address listing for you. 

-Patrice 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Bigpond Cable - Optimal Router / Modem - How do I change from original 1930's Netgear CGD24N

I myself use a specific router for the reasons you mention.

If you disable NAT, it also disables Wifi so you would need a new wifi router.

I can't really help with which modem does the best content filtering.

You don't need a new plan the one you have is fine.

If you could a seperate router you could put OpenDNS on it.
Highlighted

I also just discovered and am going through the joys of livechat and explaining a simple request over and over... That the service address Tesltra have listed for my bigpond, despite using move home feature and even having a Telstra tech on site, is still my old address - Would this have any impact on servce performance?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Considering that the first modems utilised your telephone handset [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem], I can't help but feel you are exaggerating somewhat in the subject on this thread. Smiley Wink 

That being said, the Netgear CGD24N uses the older Docsis techniology where as the modems currently on offer (Netgear CG3100D-2 & C6300BD) takes advantage of the Docsis 3.0 technology that is now available to BigPond customers.

If you are not within contract, then you may wish to take a look at the bundles currently on offer: https://www.telstra.com.au/bundles

Customers using Docsis 3.0 modems have the option to remain on the 30mbps plans or to select the speed boost which will allow up to 100mbps. 

You can do a search on Crowd Support for these modems which will provide you with an understanding of other users experiences with these modems.

I can also confirm OpenDNS is available on the C6300BD. 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Hi Shelley,

Firstly thanks for the reply and indeed for demonstrating some humor!

Couple more items which I believe remain of value to the viewing public that were mentioned in my post:

Parental control / ability to monitor web traffic (url's) passing through router or even devices on the Docsis 3.0 proposed solutions is one of my significant and key requirements - I've read here: Crowdsupport: C63BD Parental Controls unavailable on firmware that unfortunately the firmware Telstra have installed has removed the netgear featires that are highly desirable.  Upon deeper exploration i have now discovered that this is because Telstra have decided to sell these features rebadged as an additional product and I quote;            
As a BigPond Member, you can purchase BigPond Security (includes a content filter and parental controls), including a 2 month free trial. Visit BigPond Security for more details.

This is a signifciantly important question:

And as my follow up reply indicated - My Service Location Address remains wrong and from what I can see there are many nodes between the listed address and my actual address where the service is running - Would that impact my service?

My account address, billing address, the address Telstra came to and installed my foxtel and cable broadband after using the move home feature several years ago are all correct - However my service location details remain as my old residence. The 90 minutes or so of frustratingly ludicrous ineptitude when I attempted to get this changed atr that question above answered yielded aboslutely no outcome, I have a transcript copy of said chat conversation and am considering simply reading it aloud at next years comedy festival, gaurateed laughs...

and finally - Letrs say I decide to go with a new gateway/modem solution - Would I lose the 300Gb per month gift Telstra provided me that takes me to 500Gb per month on a 200Gb plan? y/n?

Again my most genuine and sincere and unfortunately suprised thanks for being the first Telstra representative to actually provide me with relevant guidance this week, Not for this forum however lets just say my 90 minute chat with 2 Telstra staff that achieved nothing other than to give me casue to consiider leaving will be escalated. 

Cheers

David

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi SpecialDave,

To answer your questions:

- The new Firware update for C6300 due to be released in the coming months will have “Time of day parental control” added to the user interface which should assist you.

- If your service location address is still incorrect I would recommend completing this form: http://tel.st/LeaveItWithUs so we can review this further for you. Our team will be able to assess what we can do from there as we really need account access to review this (which we can’t access via CrowdSupport).

- If you choose to simply upgrade your modem only (to the C6300 - Cable Gateway Max) you will not lose the additional usage. This can only occur if you change your plan. 

I hope this information helps. 

-Patrice 

Thank you very much - definitely making progress here...

And finally, my contender for most dodged question ever asked:

Would the wrong address (ie multiple nodes away) impact cable performance on a Liberty elite package?
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi SpecialDave, 

If your connection is working then there is no impact on how we have listed your address in our billing systems. If your account was incorrect (in terms of connection) you would have no access whatsoever. With the form I included in my last post our team can rectify the address listing for you. 

-Patrice 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi SpecialDave,

Your issues sound spookily similar to my own.

Have been using the Telstra-supplied NetGear CDG24N since AAP upgraded to ADSL2+ and ceased to function.

We used to have contract for entire Telstra/Bigpond/Foxtel bundle, but kids have now grown out of cable TV and so we cut back to landline, mobile and Bigpond cable.

Ahhh, Bigpond cable. My problme is I have a T-100/base10 connection at work so know what connection speeds should be like. The pathetic 30/1 Mbps (down/up) available from Telstra cable is infuriating.

Recently it has been a whole lot worse: frequent drop-outs/disconnects and signal-free zones appearing where it used to be decent. And this is after installing a NetComm range extender. My former little darkings are now young adults with voracious appetites for on-line streaming and network gaming - with attitudes to match. 

I suspect that my CDG24N is cooked. It has been powered on continuously for almost 5 years. My tolerance of DOCSIS 2.0 has worn too thin.

Shelly_Telstra makes sense to me in her replies. She has almost persuaded me to pry open my wallet and buy a shiney new DOCSIS 3.0 standard C6300! 

Intersted to hear your experience and solution!

Cheers

dLeaves (another David)

Highlighted

Hey David,

I have the beast 6300.... "Telstra Gateway Max" and they upgraded my connection for free to the high speed...
And it at least tripled my speeds on average! Especially my Ethernet connections..

My wifi is now via the gateway sans extended through walls and up stairs so it's definately a vast improvement, additional bonus is I now have 2 x 2 terabyte external hd's plugged directly into the gateway and am using as a media server!

I get the occasional wifi issue but we have a wireless baby monitor in use and they are notorious for using the same bandwidth...

For a couple of hundred it's taken away a significant frustration...

That being said even calling and organising the purchase / upgrade was the standard offshored ordeal where I was t completely informed of what steps were going on etc the biggest issue was that to their credit my gateway arrived in 2 days as I expresed I would prefer it a sap, what I wasn't told after I unpacked, decommissioned old cdn, plugged in and then got an error code on registration, I called and was then toLe it takes 24hrs once you connect to register the high speed plan change, so I reversed the process, recommissioned the 24n, and the next day when it still didn't work as told I should have been informed it can be up to 48 hours....
Then there was a surprise email saying I'd changed my bundle the next day which was actually only about the speed increase - I called as I thought my free 300gb gift was being forfeited and advised I shoud have been informed.

A lot of should have been informed....

Some of my other issues I used the leave it with us feature and specified I did not want to be called regarding the issue and that email was appropriate to advise me of progress and completion, of course I've had calls....

It's a real shame that an organisation that employs so many Australians and is great for our economy, that has awesome. Mobile coverage and 4g, that when all the bits are right has decent internet connectivity and speed,has Foxtel etc, cannot get the fundamentals of managing our expectations, consistent and accurate customer information and ends up causing so many superfluous phone calls and emails etc from us, the customers,to rectify their errors. Tbh if there was a compatible service provider or if I could be bothered hunting around chances are they would have lost me a while ago....

The only good experiences I've had with representatives have honestly been with the guys on here and when I rang and said it was a complaint call.

Leave it with us,live chat, 99% of phone calls even lots of in store - have been very ordinary if not deplorable customer experiences...

Anyway- that's the good and the bad.... I say go for the gateway max, if fibre to the node via nbn is due in your neighbourhood soon maybe sus out what that means for you regarding hardware as it may be worth holding out.
If you go ahead now, be ready to wait up to 48 hours once you've tried to register the gateway assuming they give you the high speed plan to match it.

I'm moderately happy now 😀

Good luck! Let me know how you get on

Dave

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more