Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Bigpond dial-up

Hi,

I have ADSL broadband and would like to send the occassional fax from my PC.  I have purchased a Star Tech USB fax modem but don't have a Bigpond dial-up number.  Is there a number that can be used for adhoc faxing or would I need to purchase a seperate Bigpond dial-up service?

Thanks,

Bob

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Bigpond dial-up

I'm a little confused as to why you would need this when you have adsl and can send faxes from your PC through adsl anyway.

If you have adsl you obviously have a telephone line running into yourmodem/router, that same line would plug into your usb modem and work.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Highlighted

A fax utilises your existing landline via a line filter You don't need a dial up number just the phone number of the receiving fax machine.

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted

Exactly.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks to Jeff and Dave. (Perhaps in hindsight I should have explained that my level of computer expertise is, on a scale of 1 to 10, about a 3.

I did disconnect the telephone line that runs from the filter to the ADSL modem, plugged in the tel line from the Star Tech fax modem and managed to send a fax.

Am I correct in understanding that I don't need the USB fax modem and can send faxes through the ADSL wireless modem?

Bob
Highlighted

G'Day Bobtie, good to hear that news. Yes you're ready to roll out the old fashioned (bit like me) faxes with your ADSL modem and that's a fax, oops fact.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more