CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Blocking devices from my wifi modem

Answered

I would like to remove/delete devices from my wifi modem without having to change the password each time.  How do I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Blocking devices from my wifi modem

Hey Aziza,

It depends on what firmware your modem is currently on. If the background of 10.0.0.138 is prodiminately white, then you'll find the blocked devices within the Parental Control section. 

Alternatively, if the background is predominantly blue, it will be within 'Toolbox' and Parental control. 

Can you check there for the blocked device?

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Hi diymum,

Can you please provide us some more information?  Who manufactured your modem (hint: it wasn't Telstra) and what model number are you using?  This will allow us to provide you with more information on how to setup device blacklisting/whitelisting on your modem Smiley Happy

Please note that I am an Telstra employee posting in my own time and on my own volition, my opinions and advice are my own and do not constitute the views, values or policies of Telstra.

If you like my answer please Kudos my post Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hi,

How can I block devices on the Telstra techicolor gateway TG797n v3.  I spend hours trying to figure it out and the booklet received with the modem does not contain any information on this subject.  A unknown mobile phone is showing up on my modem page and I want to block it permanently.

Thanks

LTempo

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Heya LTempo,

I have flagged this thread with our Social Media Tech Team to assist with your query. Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 16: Secret Agent

Hi

The only way to really secure any wifi is by setting up an "Access Control List" (ACL)

The list defines exactly which computer can connect.... which means that even if someone finds out your password, they can't connect because their computer is not in the access list!

I have looked in the user guide for your modem and can't find any reference for "ACL".

So.. you now have two choices...

one:  get a dedicated wireless access point (WAP).. disable wifi on the TG797 and use the new WAP with ACL enabled

two: change your router to one that has the ACL feature for Wifi.

cheers

Highlighted

Thanks for your comments. I tried to find access control in the software that came with the modem without success . What I have managed to so is create a rule for that device ) time of day rule) and block it for 23 hrs and 45 minutes. When I had the little 4G Mobile modem it was so simple to block a device just by selecting and choose "block". But on this Tg797 modem it's not user friendly at all. Appreciate any assistance.
Highlighted

Hi BMac

I' ve experiencing the same problem. I just want to know how to reconnect the blocked devices to my wifi modem.
The name of my modem is technicolor TG797n v3 and it made in vietnam
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey Aziza,

It depends on what firmware your modem is currently on. If the background of 10.0.0.138 is prodiminately white, then you'll find the blocked devices within the Parental Control section. 

Alternatively, if the background is predominantly blue, it will be within 'Toolbox' and Parental control. 

Can you check there for the blocked device?

Brodie

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi,

I just tried a trick which worked for me.

1. Access your modem webpage by

http://10.0.0.138/

2. Then under WIFI identify the name of the device

3. Go to parental control and add a rule

4. In the host name type in or paste the host name and the system will identify the device connected to it. Select it

5. Change the access time and days.

This worked for me.

Cheers,

Sachin

@Aziza wrote:
Hi BMac

I' ve experiencing the same problem. I just want to know how to reconnect the blocked devices to my wifi modem.
The name of my modem is technicolor TG797n v3 and it made in vietnam

Highlighted

Re: Someone is using my wifi and is changing my passwords.

Hi,

Someone is using my wifi and is listening to  my calls using my internet and changing my passwords and also took off security.  

Can someone pls tell me how I can fix this pls?

Distort

Highlighted

Hi,

I having a problem with a hacker?? who keeps changing my passwords, using my wifi internet and taking off security...Can someone pls advise what I can do pls?

Tia

Distort

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Noob2

Initially made sure you change your WiFi password, and make it complex - no words, names etc. 
You can also change the network name, and then set the modem not to broadcast it. Then you can only connect to your WiFi network if you manually type in it's name since a standard WiFi search won't display your network. 

You can also use the instructions above to block a device from the network.

Highlighted

How can I get the hostname for a particular device? On the Home tab at 10.0.0.138, I can see the Device Name, but when I try to type that into a new rule under the Parental Control tab, it isn't recognised. Is the Device Name different to the hostname?

Also, when I phoned Telstra to get help with this problem, they told me that they cannot provide support for Parental Controls because it isn't a core feature of the modem!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Tech Support only assist with the standard configuration of the modem. If you need assistance with the advanced configuration settings of any modem, please contact Telstra Platinum on 137 587.

You can find out more about Telstra Platinum here: https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/platinum

- Shelly

Highlighted

Hi,

I know this post is old but it is relevant to me.  I am having trouble with someone logging into my wifi.  I have re-set my router back to default.

I have devices logged in again that are not mine.

i am following your instructions and have a question.  What is the host name?  In the list of devices connected, they mention LAN IP or device name.  Some device's "device name" is blank.  So do I type the LAN IP address for this field??

Thanks,

Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Noonie224, 

The easiest thing to do would be to change your WiFi password to something that only you know. Once you change the password and hit the Apply button every device connected to your WiFi signal will be disconnected and will need the new password in order to reconnect.

However, if you are setting up Parental Control and want the Host Name of the device, you can use the LAN IP if the device is currently connected (there is a green tick on the icon to indicate this). If it's not connected click on the icon and you will be shown a new screen which shows the devices MAC address, this is like a fingerprint.  The MAC address will show as unknown-MAC ADDRESS. Copy the numbers (MAC Address) after unknown- and paste it into the Host Name field in your Parental Controls screen, then set up as required. 

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

If your 10.0.0.138 takes you to a screen that has a predominately white background, click on Advanced icon on the end with pictures of a spanner and screwdriver. This will take you to a screen with 4 rows of 4 boxes. The second box on the second row there is a box called devices. If you click on which devices are connected, this will list them all, which has the MAC address for each one. Copy this address and back arrow to the main screen.Choose your Parental Control icon, select Add New Rule' and paste the MAC address into the host name box and create a rule. Don't forget to click the little blue icon with a '+' symbol on the line above the 'Time of day' boxes where you are creating the rule, to create once you have completed your data.

Highlighted

My kids worked their way around this by fiddling with the times on their devices...Telstra.. please come up with a better option and quite frankly for newbies trying to find which device is what by random ip addresses is a nightmare

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@hellonhighheels - Can you log into My Account on the Telstra website to see if Telstra Broadband Protect is enabled? It is included in most bundles these days. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more