Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

Blue Light on nbn FTTP Connection Box: Extra Ethernet cable plugged in

Answered

Hi there,

On a single user Home Broadband with the the default 5GHz freq turned down to 2.4 (for extra range), plugged another ethernet cable into the router and replaced the original (red) connection to the Telstra Gen2 leaving the original red cable connected at the FTTP box. All Telstra TV apps worked fine with the blue light hard on the modem.

At installation, the techs might have mentioned this was non standard, and only one ethernet cable out of the box is allowed. Also, please refresh my memory as to whether two modems are allowed in anything but a daisy chain config.

Given we are installing a 70m ethernet link to an outhouse, is the best plan to keep the modem at the outhouse (preferable), or back near the FTTP box?

Thanks.

Crowd Support? What about support for the masses?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Blue Light on nbn FTTP Connection Box: Extra Ethernet cable plugged in

Hi - if I have understood you correctly, suggest you reconnect the Telstra Modem back to the NBN FTTP  NTD as soon as possible  Direct connections to the FTTP NTD are OK for short term testing the Internet only for fault diagnosis - that port on the NTD has no Firewall leaving your network vulnerable. The reason why you have a Blue LED ON is that the Telstra Modem has no WAN link and is using its 4G LTE SIM to provide your TV with Internet - limited speed of 6 Mbps/1 Mbps with 10 GB download allowance a month. 

The 70 metre cable is within the nominal 100 metre limit for Ethernet CAT 6E cable (rated up to 1000 Mbps). I haven't any experience with long runs past 20 meters.  Positioning is a personal matter - some people like the FTTP NTD and Telstra Modem co-located for ease of management, others like to see the modem next to their PC or to connect other LAN devices to it at the remote location.

If the outhouse location is on the same circuit as the FTTP NTD and the Telstra modem room, you may wish to consider a set of Ethernet to Power Line Adapters to locate an Ethernet outlet at the outhouse or to position the Telstra modem there.  - DLink make a family of models for various data speeds which may vary due to your distance requirements. Speeds on the packaging are theoretical and could comfortably be halved for the real world.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi - if I have understood you correctly, suggest you reconnect the Telstra Modem back to the NBN FTTP  NTD as soon as possible  Direct connections to the FTTP NTD are OK for short term testing the Internet only for fault diagnosis - that port on the NTD has no Firewall leaving your network vulnerable. The reason why you have a Blue LED ON is that the Telstra Modem has no WAN link and is using its 4G LTE SIM to provide your TV with Internet - limited speed of 6 Mbps/1 Mbps with 10 GB download allowance a month. 

The 70 metre cable is within the nominal 100 metre limit for Ethernet CAT 6E cable (rated up to 1000 Mbps). I haven't any experience with long runs past 20 meters.  Positioning is a personal matter - some people like the FTTP NTD and Telstra Modem co-located for ease of management, others like to see the modem next to their PC or to connect other LAN devices to it at the remote location.

If the outhouse location is on the same circuit as the FTTP NTD and the Telstra modem room, you may wish to consider a set of Ethernet to Power Line Adapters to locate an Ethernet outlet at the outhouse or to position the Telstra modem there.  - DLink make a family of models for various data speeds which may vary due to your distance requirements. Speeds on the packaging are theoretical and could comfortably be halved for the real world.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

@Mkrtich: Gotcha, thanks.

Not familiar with PLAs, they do explain them nicely here, one won't be required here it seems.

If the modem /router remained at the FTTP NTD, do you know if there is a cost effective way of generating a wifi signal at the outhouse?

Thanks again. Smiley Happy

Crowd Support? What about support for the masses?
Highlighted

Thank you for the feedback. Apart from using the Wi-Fi strength signal on your mobile phone or tablet as an indication of signal strength, Telstra has a free App called Home Dashboard which gives you an insight into your Internet and Connected Devices showing names. Handy to have as it also has a Speed Test and a 'Map My Wi-Fi' screen. I haven't used the latter, but it may give you a reasonable understanding of the your current Wi-Fi coverage area and may assist with planning for placement of a Wi-Fi Booster or Remote Access Point/ Extender. 

If the area between your home and the outhouse is open and in line of sight, you may find that if the Telstra modem location is moved to somewhere within the home near to a window that overlooks the outhouse and place a Booster in the outhouse in view of the Telstra modem that the two may link - in your case each signal would have to cover at least a 40-50 metre distance which in theory should be possible outdoors.

Telstra has the Smart Booster Gen 2 which is intelligently controlled by the Telstra Modem and a second Booster can also be added if needed - they are in the order of $220 each. There are more economical options but I have no experience with them - some are limited to 2.4 Ghz and don't have a high power amplifiers. Third Party Add-On Mesh Networks also come at a high cost entry point, sometimes sold in pairs or three units.  I have assisted a neighbour with his old Netgear EX6200 Range Extender when he migrated to the NBN and it worked OK - he had a lot of internal walls. It featured a 700 watt high-power design for range coverage; I think it has been superseded and is just as costly as the Telstra Booster. 

There is no harm leaving both Wi-Fi bands on the Telstra Modem as the default Power Signal Setting for each is 100%. If you Disable the Bandsteering on the 2.4Ghz page and SAVE, you will see both Network SSIDs broadcast and can select the best band for your situation; the Booster/Extender will also have both bands working in unison with the main. You can link any of your mobile phone or wireless devices to both bands which may be handy if are moving around in the Wi-Fi Network coverage areas.

Highlighted

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more