Inky1
Level 1: Cadet

Bridge Mode Technicolor TG799vac

Answered

Can someone give me simple instructions on how to put my new Telstra Gateway Max into Bridge Mode.

I can enter the Modem menu but cannot find were I can do this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darren_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Bridge Mode Technicolor TG799vac

Hi Inky1,

We have limited information on setting up bridge mode in modems, but give this a try.

After logging into the modem, click on Advanced on the top right. This should give you access to the full modem interface information.

Click on Technicolor Gateway on the left hand side of the screen.

Under Pick a Task in the middle of the screen click on Setup my Technicolor Gateway.

Run through the Setup Wizard and select Bridge when prompted.

Hopefully that can help you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
38 REPLIES 38
Darren_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Inky1,

We have limited information on setting up bridge mode in modems, but give this a try.

After logging into the modem, click on Advanced on the top right. This should give you access to the full modem interface information.

Click on Technicolor Gateway on the left hand side of the screen.

Under Pick a Task in the middle of the screen click on Setup my Technicolor Gateway.

Run through the Setup Wizard and select Bridge when prompted.

Hopefully that can help you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

gibsonm
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Bridge Mode Technicolor TG799 on NBN

So this comes with a useless "How to Guide" which basically says unpack and plug in.

Once you login to it the "interface" is equally childish.

Any chance of a PDF manual or a proper menu system so things like putting it into bridged mode, etc. can be done.

Or am I stuck with spending an hour or more on hold to Telstra?

IvanS
Support Team
Support Team

Hi gibsonm, 

Is this the manual you require? 

http://setuprouter.com/router/technicolor/tg799vn-v2/manual-1059.pdf

gibsonm

Hi,

I don't think so.

The box in the manual you posted has USB ports on the side, the Telstra product doesn't.

The manual refers to CDs which don't come with the Telstra box.

The default IP in the manual is different to the Telstra box.

The interface screenshots in the Manual are different to the Telstra device's interface.

This thing is a "Technicolor TG799vac".

Perhaps I should return it and go to a store and buy a third party product which is supported.

gibsonm

It would seem this is not a unique request.

A similar thread is here:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Manual-for-ADSL-gateway-max-TG799vac/td-p/4472...

IvanS
Support Team
Support Team

Our Tech Team are not in over the weekend, however I can flag this with them, and they can follow up from Monday. 

gibsonm

So more fun.

The Telstra user guide (brochure) gives me an IP address for the device but no default admin username or password.

I've tried admin/admin and admin/password but to no effect.

So when I get to the config page I can't log in?????

Then on the LAN page I do find a button labelled "bridge mode" but no indication as to whether it is "on" or "off".

What is the default admin username and password?

How do I tell if bridge mode is on or off?

Of course such information would be probably in a manual if Telstra bothered to include one. Smiley Frustrated Smiley Mad Smiley Sad

gibsonm

@IvanS wrote:

Our Tech Team are not in over the weekend, however I can flag this with them, and they can follow up from Monday. 

Hmm interesting compared to:

"BigPond Technical Support. Phone number. 133 933.

Opening hours

24 hours a day, 365 days a year

If you're not in Australia and need to speak to a
consultant, please call us on +61 2 9242 0570"

I look forward to finding out on Monday - since I install this new box on Thursday and need it up and running by then.

IvanS
Support Team
Support Team

You are welcome to call Tech Support, however if you require assistance from out Social Media Tech Team, they can help when back in. 

gibsonm

@IvanS wrote:

You are welcome to call Tech Support, however if you require assistance from out Social Media Tech Team, they can help when back in. 

Ivan,

No lets see if the social medai team can help.

I don't have the luxury of describing the issue, sitting on hold for an hour, having the call disconnected, redialing, describing the issue again, sitting on hold for another hour ...

gibsonm

So its 1030 Monday ....

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi gibsonm,

Please find following, the answers to the questions you have raised.

• Due to the technology associated with an NBN connection you do not need to configure the modem, as you did with ADSL, it should just be unpack and plug in.
  • The TG799 has 2 USB ports located on the back of the device (as shown in the below picture.)
  • In it's 'out of the box' configuration, the default IP to access the TG799's user interface is 10.0.0.138, and you do not need to enter a username or password to access it.  You should be taken directly to the home page.  (Pressing in and holding the reset button, on the back, for 12 seconds will restore the modem to it's factory default settings.)
  • As it is not part of our standard configuration, by default, bridge mode will be off on the TG799.

gibsonm

@Ben_Telstra wrote:

Hi gibsonm,

Please find following, the answers to the questions you have raised.

• Due to the technology associated with an NBN connection you do not need to configure the modem, as you did with ADSL, it should just be unpack and plug in.
  • The TG799 has 2 USB ports located on the back of the device (as shown in the below picture.)
  • In it's 'out of the box' configuration, the default IP to access the TG799's user interface is 10.0.0.138, and you do not need to enter a username or password to access it.  You should be taken directly to the home page.  (Pressing in and holding the reset button, on the back, for 12 seconds will restore the modem to it's factory default settings.)
  • As it is not part of our standard configuration, by default, bridge mode will be off on the TG799.

Well I do need to configure it - how patronising can you get!!!

I didn't have ADSL before so how is that relevant???

I need to turn off the WiFi.

I need to put it into Bridge mode as my Firewall and Router provides the DHCP, static routes, internal IP address range, etc.

It also links me into the internal WiFi network I already have.

Also when you do go to 10.0.0.138 there is a "login" option for which I need a username and password. So again answering the question would be good.

So even if the default config is for Bridge to be "off" - how about you answer the question about how to turn Bridging "on" ??!!!

Oh and a link to a relevant manual would be nice.

Or do I stop asking here and start complaining to the Telecom Obudsman and the Dept of Fair Trading?

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

With ADSL, modems (like the TG799) would need the customer to access the user interface and add their username and password in order to gain a connection.  With NBN the connection is configured to the the Uni-D port, so the TG799 is only provided to supply a WiFi connection and VOIP phone service.  Connecting a computer directly to the active UNI-D port on the NBN connection Box (NTD) will also allow you to access the internet.

If you do not require the VOIP phone, then you can connect a BYO NBN Ready modem/router of your choice. If you do require the phone service, then you will need to connect the TG799 that was provided and bridge it to your BYO router.

To disable the WiFi on the TG799 

• Enter the following IP address, 10.0.0.138, into the address bar of your browser
  • Click on the Wi-Fi symbol at the top of the page, so that it is highlighted with a blue square.
  • This will show you to the Wi-Fi administration page.
  • Find the field titled Wi-Fi Radio, and untick the enabled tick box. Do this for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz tab.
  • Alternatively, pressing the ECO button will disable the WiFi network. The ECO light on the modem will be blue when in ECO mode.

Bridge mode for TG799
Placing the TG799 into bridge mode is not part of our standard configuration and therefore not supported by BigPond Tech Support.  If you are needing assistance with advanced configuration or 3rd party devices, I would recommend that you contact Telstra Platinum on 137 587.
You can find out more about the services offered by Telstra Platinum here:https://www.telstra.com.au/connectedhome/enhancements/platinum

Ben

gibsonm

I don’t care about ADSL, I have a cable connection at present so why bring it up?

Why would I pay for 100mbs download speeds and then choke it by using WiFi???????

I wish I could go without the landline but Telstra requires me to have one.

You indicate that it needs to be put into bridge mode to work and then refuse to tell me how to do it.

When we undertook this move the Consultant / Case Manager knew well that we wanted a fixed IP address and the modem in bridged mode.

Now you tell me I have to pay more.

Either:

1. You don’t know (which is fine just say so) or

2. You want to gouge me by connecting to “platimum”.

Given the atrocious support so far with this move (two formal complaints lodged to date, connection cut off to current address three weeks early, etc.) why would I pay more when all you need to do is give me a manual and I could look it up??

I’ll monitor this for another 24hours but if I don’t get a useful response (i.e. how to do it or a manul) then I’ll need to escalate this issue to the Ombudsman / Dept of Fair Trading.

Or just go to iiNet.

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You have asked questions on a post titled Bridge Mode Technicolor TG799 on NBN.

The TG799 is an ADSL / NBN enabled modem, not a cable modem.   Which is why I have been answering your questions with a TG799 in mind and in an ADSL / NBN context.

I indicated that you may need to put the TG799 into bridge mode if you wished to use unsupported 3rd party devices (Firewall and router) but still have the VOIP phone service enabled which an NBN service provides.  As you have a cable service this advice doesn't apply.

If you were provided a TG799 for your cable service then you will need to contact your case manager to advise them that you have been sent the incorrect modem. As this type of modem is and ADSL / NBN modem it is incompatible with the cable network and you wont be able to connect with it.

Cable modems are different and If you wish correct information you will need to provide the correct information such as the modem model number.  Current cable modems we provide are:

Netgear C6300BD,
Netgear CG3100, 
Netgear CG3100v2,
Netgear CG814WG &
Netgear CGD24N

BigPond Cable do not provide a static IP address, they are classed as dynamic so that the IP address may change at some time in the future.  

However, even on a BigPond cable service we don't provide support on how to place a cable modem into bridge mode, therefore we are not trained in how to do it.  As previously mentioned if you wish assistance with this you will need to contact our Telstra Platinum team.

gibsonm

We are currently in Sydney and on a Cable connection using a bridged Netgear CG3100D-2BPAUS.

This is bridged and has been for some time.

We are going to NBN at our new address (this is what the comment about static IP and 100Mbs related to).

I spoke to the “moves” team about going from Cable to NBN and needing to RETAIN the bridged mode.

They said that was possible so we agreed to the service.

They then shipped me the 799 for use on the new NBN service.

They also turned our Cable and Foxtel off three weeks early. That is the subject of a formal complaint SR 1-540464489949.

I am now trying to ensure that the 799 will do what we want to (i.e. run in bridged mode).

This is what this post is all about, not cable, not ADSL.

It appears I now need to pay an additional $20 per month for two years ($480.00) to get an answer to a question which the Consultant said was possible but there is now no documention to provide.

I’m currently trying to contact the Platinum team, but what a surprise they don’t answer the ‘phone.

gibsonm

So I agree to pay $120 to find out what the admin password is.

The say they’ll call at 6pm.

Its now half past and NOTHING

So I’m current on a phone que for “16min” AND doing Chat to find out where this “platinum” service is

gibsonm

So 2 and a half hours later ...

I find out that I didn’t even need the Telstra box that I bought because Telstra told me too.

NBN to Time Capsule to rest of network is now working great.

Only downside is we no longer have a land line - no great loss for us.

Still don’t know the admin password, nor how to bridge the Telstra box though.

Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi GibsonM

It's great to see that your services are up and running at last and everything is working great

Did you end up getting hold of the Platinum Team? 

Regards 

gibsonm

Everything is NOT "working great".

Because the Platinum staff refused to divulge the admin password details we had to basically throw out the Telstra Gateway Max ($$$ down the drain) and go without a landline phone.

So things are "working", not "great".

I guess I can put the Telstra Gateway Max up on eBay and try and recoup the money spent / wasted there.

The other option would retain the 'phone but then I would have to forego a whole bunch of services internally (back up, iP address ranges, port forwarding, MAC address acess control, WiFi network, etc.).

Basically the Telstra guy (who even said he wasn't trained on NBN - so why is he part of the NBN Platinum team ???) wanted me to bridge my device not Telstras.

Basically rebuild the dog to suit his tail.

All because Telstra peddles an "all in one solution" for which you don't provide a manual or access details.

Give me a simple box with documentation that I can setup how I want, not how Telstra wants - and I'll be happy.

No stars.

Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I'm passing your post on to our Social Media Tech team so they can make contact with you to investigate this further.

As they work Monday to Friday, the earliest that you will hear from them is Monday. 

Regards 

gibsonm

Which takes us back to post #7

I need an answer, not to be caught in a loop.

Stringman1

You can try what I did on the TG 797.

Go to Advanced Tools
Then LAN
At the bottom is a Switch to Bridge Mode  switch.
Select it and Confirm.

It will take a whie but it works. Also turn off your WiFi signal on the Telstra Gateway

Crawfy

Have just received the Technicolor TG799vac modem/router as part of Telstras forced upgrade to NBN in our area.  

I want to keep my existing home network intact and just put the TG799 in bridged mode so that it is basically only handling the connection to Telstra on behalf of my existing modem/router.

I have a Dlink DSL-2890AL that i have managed to change the settings of and connect via Ethernet cable to the TG799.  I am able to connect all my previous devices to the DLink as before (pre TG799 being sent to me from Telstra) and I have not had to make any changes on those devices to be able to maintain my home network structure and function.  I am happy with this.

When adjusting the settings of the TG799 I opened http://mygateway then the advanced settings page.  I opened Local Network to find the Bridged Mode option.  I clicked on this and accepted the changes.  The TG799 rebooted then i lost all ability to communicate with it.  I could see its wifi name from any pc/device and even login to the wifi network.  however, i could not navigate to http://mygateway as i was informed there was n o Internet connection or dns server.  I tried various ip addresses such as 10.0.0.138 but to no avail.  the wifi connection would also promptly drop out.  I connected the TG799 via Ethernet cable to my PC but there was no Default gateway information and i was again unable to communicate with the TG799.  I had to press and hold the reset button on the TG799 to return to factory settings to communicate then connect it to the Internet.  

I am happy with my internal network function at present but really want to put the TG799 into bridged mode and turn off  its wifi.  Any suggestions???

gibsonm

@Stringman1 wrote:

You can try what I did on the TG 797.

Go to Advanced Tools
Then LAN
At the bottom is a Switch to Bridge Mode  switch.
Select it and Confirm.

It will take a whie but it works. Also turn off your WiFi signal on the Telstra Gateway

Stringman1

So you can do this without providing the admin login details?

We are moving again from the leased place to onbe we have bought and I'm going through this mess again.

The morons in the Moves team have shipped me another of these even though I told them not to.

They "forgot" the Foxtel move

One Point of Contact for the move has turned into three so far.

If you can get it into bridge mode without the login information I might give it a go on one of the two pieces of landfill I currently have.

gibsonm

@gibsonm wrote:

They also turned our Cable and Foxtel off three weeks early. That is the subject of a formal complaint SR 1-540464489949.

Oh and just in case anyone is curious, we have yet to receive a response about the above formal complaint, nor the one about the lack of documentation and refusal to release the admin login details.

Not bad for what nearly 4 months.

IT-Dude

Hi Gibson,

Im not sure if you have ended up getting a user name and password to log onto the TG799, if you haven't can I recommend you factory reset the modem this will give you access to out of the box configuration i.e: no password required.

Resetting the modem is simple, using a paper clip press the reset button between the two USBs at that back of the modem.

Once you're in at the top right of the page next to logout you should see a "?" symbol click on that and the built in manual will load answering alot of your questions Smiley Surprised)

With Enabling bridge mode,  from the main page click on Advanced then on Local network, when that window pops up scroll down and there you go click on Bridged Mode, you will be prompt to confirm your selection, once done voila the TG799vac is in Bridged mode.

I know I'm bit late but hopefully I was able to give you what you need.

Regards

George your IT Dude
JodiH

George

Just wondering if you had to disable wi fi as well as place unit into bridge mode ?

GBe
Level 2: Rookie

Same question as to whether you were able to turn-off WiFi.  Telstra dont seem to be awar emost people have existing WiFi networks and dont want a modem that has it included.  Worse I suspect Telstra or Thomson or somebody has gone and blocked all websites describing how to configure the TG799.  Its bizarre!

Out of the box from Tesltra my TG799 does not respond to http://10.0.0.138.

Do I really need to reset it to get access?

Telstra doesn't seem to understand its customers at all.  Preferring to believe that only 1 situation fits all.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

In this user guide it advises to access the modem interface via:  telstra.gateway/ have you tried using that instead of 10.0.0.138?

- Shelly

AmyH

If you're connected to the modem via wifi and still not able to access it via either http://10.0.0.138 or http://mygateway then you will need to check your IP settings in your network connections.

If they are to grab IP from DHCP, then try making it manual, and vice versa.

Marko999

Can definitely put TG799 in bridge mode as per pic. Best to disable wifi if you want to use your existing wireless LAN on existing router. If a landline is required in NBN mode, plug it into the FXS port 1 of the TG799. IMG_5450.PNG

Marko999

Once bridge mode has been set, wireless remains enabled as per below, and can be disabled my deselecting the wireless enable box and saving for both the 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ channels. Bear in mind you will have to manage it using an Ethernet cable once this has been done or reset to default. It's worth noting that the standard channels are in the 10.0.0.1-255 range. The guest channels are in the 192.168.1.1-255 range. 

IMG_5451.PNGIMG_5452.PNG

Gerry4

Thank you Marko999

I did the same thing as you to put the Telstra router in Bridge mode:

1. Have a laptop directly connected with cable to the Telstra router

2. Go to 10.0.0.138

3. Go to Advanced

4. Go to Local network

5. Scroll to Bridge mode

6. Confirm this.

7. And then the router restarts into bridged mode

8. Turn off wifi with the button on the front

Now I recently have NBN instead of ADSL 2+, and I have 2 questions:

1.  The internet and Status button remain Red (although internet works fine via my router)

2. My phone (that with NBN has to go via the telstra box) does not work anymore. The lights for 'phone 1' and 'phone 2' dont turn green anymore. It seems that dumbing down my router to a bridge, also killed the landline phone functionality.....

Does anyone have this problem as well?

thanks, Gerry

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Gerry4,

If the modem is bridged, then you will be unable to use the phone services over NBN. The following link is about the modem provided for Business services and how I was able to get this working over NBN. 

This configuration is not supporte by Telstra and if you call Tech Support they will ask you to return the modem to factory defaults and the standard configuration. 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/National-Broadband-Network-NBN/Telstra-Gateway-Pro-V7610/m-p/...

- Shelly

Viscomm

They arnt designed to be used in advanced mode. They are made for ease of use. No ISP supplied unit is worth using if you want a good network.
Rob07

I read all those questions and answers i could not find anything about my technicolor TG800 one anyway but i fund out Telstra  it doen't care customer and the service just looking for$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Cheers

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more