willerty
Level 2: Rookie

Cable Gateway Max C6300BD-202 and parental controls.

I have just received my new cable gateway max modem C6300BD. It is connected and works quite well but the live parental controls that I was promised are sadly not working. I have rebooted, reset but there is only a web filtering and keyword filtering option. I do not have the time of day option that some others appear to have.

Can I get this tab on my parental controls because it is the whole reason that I purchased this modem?? I was promised that I would be able control each device in the house individually and I don't seem to be able to.

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
BertieKern
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Cable Gateway Max C6300BD-202 and parental controls.

Hello Willerty,

Here is the offical Telstra manual for that Gateway:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C6300/C6300_UM_15oct14.pdf

- Scroll down to page 29 to see how to block sites at certain times of the day.

- On page 60 it explains how to set up an Access List. Here you can block a device from using the internet by restricting its MAC address.

- If you like you can also scroll down to page 70 and it will tell you how to see a complete log of website usage (What websites were accessed or attempted to be accessed).

Hope this helps.

willerty

Thanks for that but unfortunately I have tried to use the controls through the netgenie and open DNS but I cannot seem to log in to this option. There is supposed to be a tab on the telstra dashboard for this modem but it is not there.
willerty

Also, the modem I have is apparently the AC1900, maybe just a newer model.
BertieKern

Telstra has not been the greatest developer of GUI clients. I suggest opening up the browser and trying to access the router directly using http://routerlogin.net or http://192.168.0.1

Use the default login admin / password.

Can you get past this point?

willerty

I can get past this point, i get to a telstra 'dashboard' rather than the netgear router settings and this is where the tab they promised is missing. There is no access control and no time of day controls anywhere in these settings.

I appreciate your help, but I think Telstra may have again promised something for $216 that they are not delivering.
BertieKern

Ok yeah, Telstra does state that it upgrades its firmware whenever it wants and that is why there isn't an up to date manual. Makes it super hard for the consumer!! The engineers really need to update and upload new manuals on new updates. I wonder why they don't Smiley Sad 

The only thing I can suggest to you now is to find an "Advanced" button to get past Telstras poorly designed dashboard page. The original netgear settings should be in there somewhere (I hope). Good luck Smiley Happy

willerty

Thanks heaps for your time, I will keep looking Smiley Happy
MickMcPieAlford

OK,  the informaiton in the documentation dow not match the Telstra menu on the c6300BD modem.

You can attmpt to restict internet access via advanced - Games and services, Mac filtering.  There is an option to select time of day restrictions.

I have been trying to block between 8pm and 7am, but while the options are there to select, they do not block internet access.  The only way that blocks internet access is to select ALL day and ALL times.  Not what i want.

I guess it has something to do with getting the deivce time matching GMT +10 time, so I'll dig around and try to get that info.

MickMcPieAlford

Setup mac filtering on Telstra Gateway Max, c6300bd modem.

login to 192.168.0.1 (admin password is default).  Go to Advanced, then Games and Services then ac Filtering.

get your mac address, enter it, and enable it. Select your days, and if you want to block it at times (for my son, I want to block his ipad from 8PM to 7am)  I have to enter the times as GMT +1, so block from 9 am to 7:59 PM, should work for AEST 8pm to 6:59 AM.

Also, use permanent DHCP lease for that device via Advanced - LAN, And enter the MAC address in the DHCP lease table.

Greyfox
Level 8: Inspector

willerty,

Improved Parental control with Time of Day settings was one of the items that was changed in the C6300BD-202 cable gateway by a firmware update, however unfortunately not everyone received the update before the roll out was stopped.

So if you have firmware 5510_V10106 then your gateway has not been updated. If it has firmware 5510-V10402 then it has been updated.

Telstra Technical Support staff have recently advised that another firmware roll out  for this device will happen "in the next few weeks", however no one seems willing to say exactly what issues it addresses. 

Cojcolds
Level 1: Cadet

I've had a look through the few threads on this topic but nothing has fully met what I'm after. I thought I'd ask here, rather than make a new thread.

We have someone staying with us for a while that we don't want to have any access to the internet through our modem. We only want to allow specific devices (ours) via MAC address.

We have the Netgear modem connected to the internet via Cable. The Netgear is then connected to our Apple Airport Extreme device and everybody connects to the Apple device wirelessly.

So, I'm looking to do the following on our Netgear C6300BD-1TLAUS (f/w 5510_V10413):

* Restrict (by MAC address) all Ethernet connections to the modem, except for my Apple Airport Extreme. I don't want someone to be able to simply connect their device via an ethernet cable to the back of the modem or temporarily steal the Apple device's ethernet cable and connect it to their own device - hence the MAC address filtering on the LAN ports to only allow our own devices).

* Disable Wi-Fi (that's what I use the Airport Extreme for and it serves our files and computer backups. It is currently set to MAC address filtering). I believe I know how to handle that request.

Is this possible? From what I could see, the only real filtering is for the wireless side.I tried the Netgear Genie app but that's more for enabling/configuring OpenDNS, from what I could see.

Your advice is most appreciated!!!

Cheers, Cojcolds

c-f

We have just received the Gateway Max C6300 and in setting the parental controls we have this issue.

Our kids love to abuse their time on the internet.

We would like to block from 9pm to 7am AEST Sunday to Thurdays and 10pm to 6am Friday and Saturday.

Is it possible to set two different time blocks like this?

I know the modem is using GMT so I have to take off 10 hours.

So the Schedules look like below and these seem to work.

Schedule        Device           Time of Day to Block      Days to Block

Kid1                Kid1_iPad     11:00 to 21:00    GMT     Sun to Thu

Kid2                Kid2_iPad     11:00 to 21:00    GMT     Sun to Thu

But I don't seem to be able to set a second time for the other days as the device already has a schedule and cannot be duplicated, which makes it a bit inflexible as we want to give them more time Friday and Saturday night when there is no school next day.

We cannot block the WiFi it would seem or the Adult devices cannot get out. Smiley Embarassed(

Seems to me if we can setup two different WiFi networks 2.4 & 5Ghz or a guest WiFi we should be able to block just the one we need to or set different access times for devices on different days.

Can it be done or are we looking for the parental bliss we'll never find. ;>)

Thanks,

ash

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The trick is that the rules cannot overlap or conflict with each other and need to be from 00:00 - 23:59 for each day.

If you wish to block from 9 pm to 7 am Sunday to Thursdays and 10 pm to 6 am Friday to Saturday, you would set the following rules for each device:

Blocking Rule 1: 21:00 - 23:59 Sunday to Thursday

Blocking Rule 2: 00:00 - 07:00 Monday to Friday

Blocking Rule 3: 22:00 - 23:59 Friday to Saturday

Blocking Rule 4: 00:00 - 06:00 Saturday to Sunday

Let me know how you go.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

c-f

Hi Shelly,

It does not work for me Smiley Frustrated, maybe the firmware is different as i have just noticed mine is a C6300BD-1TLAUS

The time of day blocking rule must be set againest a device or network & it only allows one per device it would seem.

ash
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I have replicated this issue on my test C6300. You can set up to three block times per rule, but only one rule per device.  I will pass this feedback along to see if a resolution is available in future updates, but I cannot advise when or even if a fix will become available.

In the interim, I can only suggest choosing a time frame to apply for the whole week  eg: 

Blocking Rule 1: 21:00 - 23:59 

Blocking Rule 2: 00:00 - 06:00 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Cojcolds

I'm still in the same situation as before. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to Restrict (by MAC address) all Ethernet connections to the modem?

Many thanks!

Brett

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Have you tried setting the Time of Day rules? It should apply to the MAC of the device regardless of whether it connects to the modem via Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

- Shelly

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more