CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

cable wireless router

Answered

We are wondering why we need to pay for a Telstra replacement wireless router (I forget the techno jargon of what it is actually called) $299.00 when the old Telstra supplied one is so old - possibly over 10 years., Motorolla surfboard s85100.

Our own supplied wireless router has just died & friends told us they have a wireless router supplied by telstra & I checked into this yesterday, but we have to pay for the replacement of the exsisting router.

Why do Telstra make it so hard for long time customers.  New customers always seem to get so much better deals.?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: cable wireless router

We are wondering why we need to pay for a Telstra replacement wireless router (I forget the techno jargon of what it is actually called) $299.00 when the old Telstra supplied one is so old - possibly over 10 years., Motorolla surfboard s85100.

For starters, you are not leasing the equipment – for which part of the monthly fee or ‘rent’ would go towards lifecycle management of a Telstra-owned service asset – as part of the ongoing delivery/access of the broadband service. Clear title of your modem or modem-router has passed to you from Day One, and so any replacement costs at the end of the device's useful life is yours to bear.

The BigPond monthly plan fee is for the broadband access service only.

Why do Telstra make it so hard for long time customers.

Are you saying that the replacement cost would create financial hardship for you?

Just in case you're going to ‘go there’, I have been a BigPond Cable customer myself since some time in the 20th century, and have had to replace my first cable modem (after a power surge) at my cost, as well as pay the upgrade fee when I signed up for Ultimate Cable service, so it's not as if “it costs you but it doesn't cost me, ha-ha.”

New customers always seem to get so much better deals.?

Not ‘much better’ deals per se, but there are often some incentives to ‘help’ prospective customers overcome their psychological activation thresholds and commit to a fixed term contract (usually with a 24-month minimum term). Inertia itself makes current customers predisposed towards accepting the status quo, unless an available alternative represent a significantly better value proposition to be ‘worth’ the hassle of switching service providers. Call it human nature. People want companies to understand them – and understanding customers means taking human nature into account, and working with it (as opposed to them) to secure the desired business outcomes.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

So, there is no incentive at all to spend $299.00 on a Telstra wireless router when I can just go out & purchase an 'anybrand' wireless router just like we have had for a lot less than 1/2 of what Telstra are charging

Just keep in mind that while you can use any BYO (wireless) router, only a BigPond-supplied modem (or modem-router) will allow you to connect to the network and access BigPond Cable service, even if you decide to source one secondhand from a (former?) BigPond customer.

<EDIT>

The Motorola SB5100 is only a cable modem (without routing capability), so if that is what needs replacing, you must source one of those (or Netgear CG814WG or Netgear CDG24N, both of which are cable modem-routers) that is ex-BigPond, if you don't want to buy a new one directly from Telstra/BigPond.

</EDIT>

Would it be worthwhile getting her a mobile phone attached to our plans(our mobile plans also expire in Sept & we are thinking of going with the new iphone) with data for her to use as a hotspot - that way between the 3 of us, we could 'share' the data?  Is this possible or should we just go prepaid for her.

Business Mobile Advantage plans, which are targeted at Business and Enterprise customers, are the only Telstra mobile telephony plans that I can think of (off the top of my head) that allow multiple services on the same account to share a single pool of monthly data usage allowance. Nothing in the Consumer space that I know of, although rumour is that a new family of post-paid Consumer mobile plans will be released tomorrow.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

For starters, you are not leasing the equipment – for which part of the monthly fee or ‘rent’ would go towards lifecycle management of a Telstra-owned service asset – as part of the ongoing delivery/access of the broadband service. Clear title of your modem or modem-router has passed to you from Day One, and so any replacement costs at the end of the device's useful life is yours to bear.

The BigPond monthly plan fee is for the broadband access service only.

Why do Telstra make it so hard for long time customers.

Are you saying that the replacement cost would create financial hardship for you?

Just in case you're going to ‘go there’, I have been a BigPond Cable customer myself since some time in the 20th century, and have had to replace my first cable modem (after a power surge) at my cost, as well as pay the upgrade fee when I signed up for Ultimate Cable service, so it's not as if “it costs you but it doesn't cost me, ha-ha.”

New customers always seem to get so much better deals.?

Not ‘much better’ deals per se, but there are often some incentives to ‘help’ prospective customers overcome their psychological activation thresholds and commit to a fixed term contract (usually with a 24-month minimum term). Inertia itself makes current customers predisposed towards accepting the status quo, unless an available alternative represent a significantly better value proposition to be ‘worth’ the hassle of switching service providers. Call it human nature. People want companies to understand them – and understanding customers means taking human nature into account, and working with it (as opposed to them) to secure the desired business outcomes.

——

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

So, there is no incentive at all to spend $299.00 on a Telstra wireless router when I can just go out & purchase an 'anybrand' wireless router just like we have had for a lot less than 1/2 of what Telstra are charging - I think I paid around $80.00 for the last one.  I am glad you work for Telstra, because you are aware of what Telstra offer, so I will now just go to JB Hi-fi.

I have 1 more question - as we have a country weekender property, we are using a usb broadband 3G device & paying a seperate plan for this.  The contract for this expires in Sept & meanwhile we have changed mobiles & now have data attached to our mobiles.  As we don't use the internet a lot on weekends (mainly just emails) - we are trialling just using our phones as a hotspot for our laptops while at the weekender.  We currently have given my mother our 3G wireless device as she is getting back into emailing after a long illness whereby she cancelled her landline plan.  When this device expires in Sept, we are looking at going to prepaid for her as she hardly uses any data.....  Would it be worthwhile getting her a mobile phone attached to our plans(our mobile plans also expire in Sept & we are thinking of going with the new iphone) with data for her to use as a hotspot - that way between the 3 of us, we could 'share' the data?  Is this possible or should we just go prepaid for her.  We have trialled our mobiles using thier data for the last 2 months & have never received a message to say we were close to using all our data - so we believe this will suit our needs for our weekender & save us the $30 per month.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

So, there is no incentive at all to spend $299.00 on a Telstra wireless router when I can just go out & purchase an 'anybrand' wireless router just like we have had for a lot less than 1/2 of what Telstra are charging

Just keep in mind that while you can use any BYO (wireless) router, only a BigPond-supplied modem (or modem-router) will allow you to connect to the network and access BigPond Cable service, even if you decide to source one secondhand from a (former?) BigPond customer.

<EDIT>

The Motorola SB5100 is only a cable modem (without routing capability), so if that is what needs replacing, you must source one of those (or Netgear CG814WG or Netgear CDG24N, both of which are cable modem-routers) that is ex-BigPond, if you don't want to buy a new one directly from Telstra/BigPond.

</EDIT>

Would it be worthwhile getting her a mobile phone attached to our plans(our mobile plans also expire in Sept & we are thinking of going with the new iphone) with data for her to use as a hotspot - that way between the 3 of us, we could 'share' the data?  Is this possible or should we just go prepaid for her.

Business Mobile Advantage plans, which are targeted at Business and Enterprise customers, are the only Telstra mobile telephony plans that I can think of (off the top of my head) that allow multiple services on the same account to share a single pool of monthly data usage allowance. Nothing in the Consumer space that I know of, although rumour is that a new family of post-paid Consumer mobile plans will be released tomorrow.

——

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more