whathisname
Level 3: Gumshoe

can i block m.home

hi all, my daughter recently updated the firmware of my netgear mr2100 modem/router [unbeknown to me], since this update there is a continous stream of data getting downloaded by m.home . this also happened 2 years ago and i got the modem replaced and this solved the problem until now. i do not know what m.home is ,but if i borrow a friends modem [zte] there is negible data flow and no m.home. i would like to block this m.home somehow. i have searched netgear support for previous version of firmware to rollback to, but no. i use a free app called glasswire to see where the data is going. i now have to turn pc off or modem off to prevent loss of data, but my wife likes to have it on most of the day to check emails and messages. our avg monthly usage is 8-15 GB month . we are over 23 GB used now and still 4 days to go of our plan. i will try and post image..any suggestions will be very muchly appreciated...thank you..dennis...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: can i block m.home

http://m.home (or http://192.168.1.1Is the address that is entered into an internet browser on a connected device to access the modem settings

It could be worthwhile checking for a firmware update as per p73 of the User Manual (just to be sure that you have the latest firmware).

If that does not fix it, you could perform a reboot, and then possibly a Factory Reset as per pages 81 and 79.

whathisname

thank you for your time and reply ,the latest update is what causes this problem, i have rebooted and done factory reset twice now,this does not roll back the firmware .  yesterday i left pc on for approx 10.5hrs max. we used 590MB for the day ,397MB of that, was used by m.home [ 67%]. this did not happen before firmware update nor does it happen with my old 3g modem or a friends 4gx modem using the same sim in them there is no sign of m.home in the traffic using these modems. i am starting to suspect some sort of spyware installed into modem by netgear or telstra.  i will try and paste a link here

Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Hi @whathisname 

Its not much data anyway. Looks like your PC is updating something (OS or app).

Maybe go into your windows updates and see that it is all current.

My body's absorbed so much hand sanitizer that when I pee, it cleans the toilet. 🙂

Footnote: I dont work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
whathisname

@Ozmoz wrote:

Hi @whathisname 

Its not much data anyway. Not for you, but a lot for me, about 10GB month  half of my  20GB plan. I am not getting a lot of work the last year ( covid). So I don't want to have to upgrade my plan . It is not updates, MS seems to do updates every day and I can see what's what with the glass wire app. The only time I don't see this m.home downloading is  around 3am. I did go into modem settings today and untitled a few boxes , VPN , upnp , dlna ? And some other one.this seemed to stop one of the m.homes downloading and slowed the other down I am not sure if it will last or if these settings will have any effect on other apps . I am doing an Arvo shift tonight so I won't know till tomorrow.thanks

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more