Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Jenny65
Level 2: Rookie

Re: can i turn off the wi fi with with a telstra gateway max modem?

Hi

Is it possible to use a fixed line phone that isn't DECT with Telstra NBN? 

For example using own modem and home phone? Just checking as I would like to reduce EMF in our home as much as possible.

thanks

Jenny

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

It is possible to use a phone connected to the first green port on the back of the supplied modem. It is not possible to disable DECT on the Technicolor modems at this time, however feedback has been passed on to the device teams regarding this feature. 

The standard modem currently being offered (Sagemcom F@ST 5355) does have the option for DECT to be disabled. 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jenny65

Thanks Shelly.

So can my own non-DECT phone be plugged into a Sagemcom F@ST 5355 modem?

Jenny.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

It sure can, into the first green port on the modem. - Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

happymaple

Hi Shellock  I am very interested in finding out when will a modem without DECT and WiFi be available on the market. Same issue with Optus whom I am with now, turned WiFi off but still has very high EMF reading.  I will consider switching supplier to Telstra if such modem is available. As a major broadband supplier Telstra should consider this issue seriously as more and more consumers are aware of the danger of microwave radiation from wireless technology and are equipped with EMF detectors now.

happymaple

How about check this website out?  ehtrust.org  Biological effects from microwave radiation occur at a much much lower level than what those authorities set.

Jenny65

Hi Shelly,

Has Telstra tested the radiation emitting from the Sagemcom F@ST 5355 modem when wifi and DECT are turned off?

As this is something being rolled out across Australia with the potential to impact health, I would think this would be a concern.

thanks!!

Caterpillar2
Level 1: Cadet

Hi,

Could I please ask whether there has been any progress with your vendor regarding providing a Telstra modem that does not emit any wireless radiation when wifi is disabled?

I have spoken to a number of Telstra consultants in the last month who are not aware of this significant issue. I hired a acoustimeter and was so upset to see the wireless radiation stay on maximum despite wifi being turned off.

I feel this is an urgent issue that must be addressed.

Telstra sent me a Telstra Gateway Max 2 after a lot of discussions however this has not rectified the situation either. As others have found, the wireless radiation is still at maximum with the wifi turned off.

I am not technical however I have followed wimple's instructions and have placed my Telstra Gateway max 2 to bridge mode and found a router that does not emit any wireless radiation when it's wifi is disabled. I have all Ethernet connections now.

Unfortunately I had to send back my hired meter before I could measure my Telstra Gateway Max 2 in bridge mode. Is someone able to tell me what the wireless radiation reading is please with the Telstra Gateway Max 2 in bridge mode? Is it any less?

The EMF Acoustimeter I hired recommended that the modem reading be under 0.1 v/m. Telstra Gateway Max 2, with or without wifi, measured 6.0 v/m when I measured it.

My 10 year old son was diagnosed with cancer and has recently completed 2.5 years of chemo treatment. I would like to limit his wireless radiation as soon as possible. I have the modem and router switched off unless we need internet and ensure all my children are in another room when the modem is on however I would like to be provided with a Telstra modem that does not emit any wireless radiation when wifi is disabled. I do not use a cordless phone due to DECT and use a corded phone.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me with this issue.
veganyogi
Level 3: Gumshoe

hi,

I have telstra broadband and I don't use a telstra modem anymore,because of not only this issue,but also because the telstra modem also emits ethernet speeds of gigabytes per second.My nervous system and health has been destroyed by wireless radiation and these gigabyte frequencies are also very aggravating to my now damaged nervous system.I own an acoustometer am10.I went to offficeworks and bought a tp link nbn ready modem for $89.There is a button on the back which entirely turns off the wifi and the ethernet speeds emits is 100mbs which is less agravating.I called tp link help desk and they helped me configure the modem for telstra broadband.

Hope this helps.

geriEMR

So a year on from this post, can I ask how this is going Shelly? Having just installed Gateway max 11 for nbn rollout model number f@st 5355 this emits seriously high radiation. I can't have it switched on at all. I now have no land line, no computer, no printer.

I am seriously affected by wifi and Telstra have done nothing to help. I am unable to use a mobile phone. Telstra should be ashamed, if it is fixable by disabling DECT then they should come out and fix it given my circumstances. Telstra have me listed as Priority Assist due to my health condition, what exactly does this mean?

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi geriEMR, 

The following instructions show you how to disable DECT on the Sagemcom f@st 5355.

1. To access the modem interface point enter the following into your browsers address field
telstra.gateway/  
or

2. You'll be asked for log in details.  If you haven't made any changes to this the default Log in is:

Username = admin
Password = admin

3. Along the top of the page you can see the modem's interface is broken up into the following sections:

4. Click on Advanced, and wait for the page to load (see image below)

5355-adv-1a.png

5. Once the Advance screen has loaded you'll see a tile titled DECT, click on this tile.  (notice in the image above the DECT icon has a green box around it, this indicates that DECT is enabled.

Once you click on the DECT tile, a new page will appear. The first options is Enable DECT and it should show as On (if DECT is enabled).  Click on the blue On button to turn it off. 

6. The page should refresh and and you should then be shown that the DECT is off.

When you go back to the Advanced page you should now see that the DECT tile has a red box around the DECT icon to indicate DECT is now disabled.

Hope this helps.

happymaple

Have just switched NBN provider from Optus to Dodo as tested Dodo's modem, 0 reading from my Acoustimeter when wifi is turned off. (persuaded the guy at Dodo to let me testing their modem at home). Optus is as bad as Telstra, high EMF reading (red!)despite WiFi turned off. Covered Optus modem with a metal mesh food cover then wrapped with shielding cloth, this did reduce the readings on the meter a lot but still at an alarming range (yellow).  

happymaple

Sorry to hear that your son was sick. I have just changed from Optus to Dodo as I have tested their modem with acoustimeter, 0 EMF emission. One of my colleagues had Dodo and I tested at her house found no reading after wifi was off. This prompted me to change. Another issue you may need to consider is dirty electricity, you can find information on emfileds-solutions.com. It's the company that sells the acoustimeter.
JBK1
Level 1: Cadet

To Telstra Technical Support: I have the Sagemcom F@st5355 modem and am also concerned about EMF emissions. I've followed the above instruction and have successfully disabled the DECT. So if I connect my computer via ethernet and disable wireless, can you confirm that the modern will not transmit ANY EMFs? Unfortunately I don't have an EMF detector or acoustimeter... 

AlistairQWA
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi JBK1

If you disable the DECT as well as the WiFi networks there should be nothing broadcasting wireless signals from your modem.

- AlistairQWA

happymaple

The only way to confirm is to use an acoustimeter.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more