Coldchips
Level 4: Private Eye

Can I use an existing ADSL filter splitter with an NBN modem?

Answered

I have NOT yet tried to connect to NBN via the recently installed node on the street. I have a barely working ADSL2+ connection just now.

Question 1. Can the existing ADSL2+ filter / splitter be used with the Telstra NBN connection kit as delivered last week?

Question 2. Can the existing landline phone be used instead of the portable phone in the kit? PLEASE READ 1. The computer is about 10 metres from the phone connection. The filter / splitter supplied with the kit is about 12 centimetres from the modem, obviously the cable is not long enough. It would save a lot of mucking about and crawling on my belly under the house if I could use the cable I put in back in 2006 and the filter /splitter from then. There is no 240 V power point convenient to the phone connection, it is on the far side of a different room, so putting the modem near the phone isn't very practical.

2. There is no 240 V power point convenient to the existing phone so a power supply for a phone can't be plugged in there. If I remove the existing touch tone wall phone I have an ugly hole in the wall, which is the first thing seen when the front door is opened. Can I retain and use the existing phone which was put in about 1995 with an NBN connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Coldchips
Accepted Solution

Re: Can I use an existing ADSL filter splitter with an NBN modem?

"When connecting to NBN can only use the existing Landline phone if it has a RJ11 plug that can be plugged into the phone socket on the modem."
"The existing phone can only be used if it has a RJ11 plug that can be plugged in to the Modem. If the phone is hard wired into the existing phone wiring the wiring leading to the wall mounted phone will need to be disconnected from phone lead in cable and connected to new RJ11 phone socket near the modem. The new socket can then be connected to modem using a normal RJ11 phone cord."

This means I would have to run another cable from the fixed wall phone to the modem, a distance of 10 metres. This is exactly what I have been trying to avoid.

Looks like I will have to dump the old phone, replace it with the battery operated hunk of junk, who knows where I will plug that in. Then cover the hole in the wall with some kind of picture.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

1. Your existing ADSL2+ Filter / Splitter can be used with the NBN modem.
  2. When connecting to NBN can only use the existing Landline phone if it has a RJ11 plug that can be plugged into the phone socket on the modem.
  3. The existing phone can only be used if it has a RJ11 plug that can be plugged in to the Modem. If the phone is hard wired into the existing phone wiring the wiring leading to the wall mounted phone will need to be disconnected from phone lead in cable and connected to new RJ11 phone socket near the modem. The new socket can then be connected to modem using a normal RJ11 phone cord.

When connected to NBN the modem can be connected to phone socket without using a ADSL filter / splitter.

max007
Level 1: Cadet

fghjkl
Max Henry
Coldchips

Coldchips
Accepted Solution

"When connecting to NBN can only use the existing Landline phone if it has a RJ11 plug that can be plugged into the phone socket on the modem."
"The existing phone can only be used if it has a RJ11 plug that can be plugged in to the Modem. If the phone is hard wired into the existing phone wiring the wiring leading to the wall mounted phone will need to be disconnected from phone lead in cable and connected to new RJ11 phone socket near the modem. The new socket can then be connected to modem using a normal RJ11 phone cord."

This means I would have to run another cable from the fixed wall phone to the modem, a distance of 10 metres. This is exactly what I have been trying to avoid.

Looks like I will have to dump the old phone, replace it with the battery operated hunk of junk, who knows where I will plug that in. Then cover the hole in the wall with some kind of picture.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more