Just_confused
Level 1: Cadet

Can't access Arcaydian Smart Modem home page

My anti-virus s/w has decided I can't access the modem home page at 192.168.0.1 and tells me it has JS-Redirector. This is only recent as no troubles previously. I changed the default password long ago. Have now set back to factory defaults and then rese the password again but still the same. I run AVG on various devices with Windows 7 and 10 and they seem to be clean. I have an older modem I was thinking of putting back in play. Any other suggestions to clear the virus?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Can't access Arcaydian Smart Modem home page

You don't have a virus. Your security software is being over protective. You could set an exception in AVG for 192.168.0.1.

Just_confused

Don't think so.  I also started getting extra message in the browser saying I had to log on to my network.

So, I got the old Technicolor modem out and it goes fine apart from having to set up all devices again. 

No messages from AVG on that one.

Still think there is something wrong with the Arcaydian.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

My guess would be that AVG detected (probably a false positive) a possible virus amd has blocked the connection to 192.168.0.1 hence the 'Log On To Network' message.  You can remove that blocking action and at the same time create an exception to allow future access.

It is very unlikely that the modem/router is the real cause of the error

You should try using a different browser - Chrome, Brave etc. to see if the same behaviour occurs.

You should also clear rhe cookies, data and cache in Microsoft Edge, because retained data might be causing the false positive.

Also, while free versions of Anti-Virus programs can be OK and have their place, they aren't as good as the paid version in most cases.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4

When you try to log into modem at 192.168.0.1 the modem (192.168.0.1/js/global.js) redirects your browser to 192.169.0.1/home.htm). This is normal but AVG is interpreting this as a malicious redirect and blocks the connection. You will either have to disable AVG or make a exception for 192.168.0.1. 

Just_confused

Thanks for the response.

OK. I did think originally it may have been a "false positive" as I did not have the problem with AVG turned off.

With AVG on I tried on a Win7 and a Win10 machine and different browsers (Firefox, Edge & Chrome) on each but got the blockage each time.  I have set them to clear history etc. and cookies at closure and regularly clear each machine with Ccleaner.

Anyway, all is working OK after setting up the older modem without an exception, so I'll wait and see.

Later I'll get around to setting up the Arcaydian outside the network after a full reset and try the address exception.

YT2
Level 2: Rookie

Do you sort this as I am having the same problem, after 5 hours to Telstra they are sending a new modem even though I don't think it is and after 2 weeks of AVG support are saying its a malicious script and don't turn off or exception as its the address to the modem.

cf4

The threat indicates that the modem is infected not the PC. It is a false positive. This is not the first time that AVG has indicated that there is security risk that did not exist. As a test I installed AVG on my computer and got the same message. 

192.168.0.1/js/global.js is a file on the modem that has to be run at login. Adding the exception 192.168.0.1 will allow you to log in to modem 

YT2

Hi I did do an exception and a week after AVG looked at the Javescript said "Since the AVG detected the threat as malicious and also our threat detection team have analyze and confirmed the detection is malicious.
We would not recommend you to turn off the AVG shield to access the concerned router site. For further details, please revert to our senior team email".
Telstra support have been useless at answering this problem and are sending a new modem.

SteveW_52

You could try using the free version of a different AV - Avira, Bitdefender, trend Micro for eample and turn of AVG to test the other one, then see what happens..  I use BitDefender (and previously Avira - fully paid versions), and no such issues has been detected...

Also, setting an exception for the router IP is not yhe same as 'turning off" AVG..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4

If the new modem is the Arcadyan version instead of the Technicolor version you will have the same problem. This is not the first time AVG has falsely detected a malicious redirector.

Solved: Are AVG Users getting notice of REDIRECTOR -BKG Tr... - Page 3 - The eBay Community

YT2

An AVG update looks as if it has resolved teh issue, anyone else fixed?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more