Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Can't connect Laptop to Cable Modem via ethernet port ; WiFi ok

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a Samsung laptop to my Netgear GC3100 cable modem via the ethernet port on the laptop.

I haven't connected the laptop via the ethertnet port before.

However, I have set up the wifi connection to the cable modem and its working satisfactorily.

The ethernet port itself seems to be ok based on the Control panel  port diagnostics. This is showing the port as 'media enabled'.

The cable is known to be working.

I've set up a cable network connection and using this I then get a 651 error "Sorry the modem has reported an error".

I've tried to log into the modem directly but this also isn't working. (using ip address  192.168.0.1 )

I'm not an expert user, any help / guidance would be appreciated.    

regards,

John

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Can't connect Laptop to Cable Modem via ethernet port ; WiFi ok

Also, when I've run the Windoews Network Diagnostics, I'm getting rhe error message "Ethernet port doesn't have a valid IP Configuration ".

regards,.

John

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Hello,

Please.... if you are able to ......Can you go to a neighbours to check the laptop ethernet on another modem.

You will need to isolate if it's your port or the modem.

Once you have determined that, if it is your modem, you will need to ring Big Pond technical support on 133 933,

Thank you

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

Hi Prof,

thanks for your good suggestion.  Where I live that isn't easy to do but worth a try.

Another data point, my son's pc was able to connect directly via the ethernet port up until a Telstra cable network outage earlier this week. He came home last night and tried his pc and got the same result.

I'm begining to think the issue is more to do with the modem.

Also both ipads can't connect to the cable modem either. The recognise the wifi network and show the device as being 'connected' but on the network selection part of the screen the display the connection isn't shown as being locked in.

John

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Hello Johnox

If you are now having difficulty with the connection on both iPads, you could try 2 things.

Firstly, "forget" the connection on both iPads, then make fresh WiFi connections, ensuring that both iPads have different names, so there is no confusion.

If that fails, do a Network reset on both iPads and start do  wifi connections again, also being sure both iPads have different names.

Many thanks

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Hi,

as feedback for the crowd support forum, the problem turned out to be a faulty CG3100 modem.

The modem was replaced  by Telstra as it was still under warranty.

After installing the new modem, all is good and the pc's & tablets all connected successfully without any further problems via wifi and / or ethernet ( based on what they could support ).

John

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I have Telstra Cable internet and it mostly works ok.

Have been unable to connect via Ethernet for a while and wasted a lot of time trying to resolve it.

Eventually found out that the Ethernet plug needed to be firmly pushed in to my laptop.

I assumed that once the plug clicked in, it would be ok. I now realise there is a fair amount of slop in the RJ45 connection.

Always good to check the basics. " ... Is it all switched ON, is it all Plugged IN? ... "

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more