meche_chell_iam
Level 1: Cadet

Can't connect laptop wirelessly to TG799 modem

hi, I'm trying to connect my inlaws laptop to their new NBN service wirelessly with no luck.

They have the TG799 modem and are using a very old (maybe 8+ years) laptop running Windows Vista.  The wifi network adaptor is an 802.11 b/g.

It will connect to the network but cannot get an internet connection. 

I can connect my phone and their tablet ok.

I've also tried connecting the same laptop to my home (Optus) network and it won't connect there either.

Is the laptop past its useby date?

Why I thought I could teach two 80 year olds how to use Netflix is beyond me Smiley Wink  HELP, please!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Can't connect laptop wirelessly to TG799 modem

Can you try changing the password to WEP and see if it connects then. It could be the older laptop isn't compatible with WPA2 passwords.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

cf4

Re: Can't connect laptop wirelessly to TG799 modem

No its not beyond its useby date. You can get a Wi-Fi N USB dongle for about $30.

The Wi-Fi on your laptop might work if log into gateway and  check that the 2.4G band is set to b/g/n and 20 Mhz channel width. Some Wi-Fi adapters don't work with channel 11 and above so set channel between 1 and 10. Also make sure security matches security type set up in gateway.

admin/admin or admin/password or admin/blank (no password)

In my Gateway Sagemcom F@st 5355  Go to Advanced click on 2.4 GHz Wireless.

Capture12.JPG

Capture11.JPG

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more