Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Can't connect playstation or printer to wifi via telstra smart modem gen 2

Hi there,

We had our modem changed out for a Telstra SmartModem Gen 2 and now my playstation and printer can't find the network for me to connect. All the smart phones and laptops in the house connect fine, but I can't get those to find the network, even when typing in the details manually. 

Can anyone please help?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Can't connect playstation or printer to wifi via telstra smart modem gen 2

The printer and playstation might only support 2.4 Ghz WiFi and the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi might be faulty.

To check if 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty you could disable band steering in the modem, this will result in -5G being added to the end on off the 5GHz WiFi band's SSID. If both WiFi bands are working you should now see two WiFi SSIDs on the devices that can connect to the modem. If the devices that can connect only see the SSID with _5G on the end then 5GHz band is faulty and you should contact support for a replacement modem.

To disable band steering open a web browser on device connected to modem and go to http://192.168.0.1 (password is Telstra). Go to WiFi, remove tick next to band steering in the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings and save settings.

Highlighted

Hi there,

Thank you for your help. I can see both the 2.4 and 5 on the network through my laptop now that I have disabled the band steering, yet I still can't see it on the playstation or the printer to connect to unfortunately. 

Highlighted

Try changing the 2.4 GHz WiFi channel.

Highlighted

Tried that, still no luck unfortunately. Telstra is sending a new modem tomorrow, the one we got might be faulty. Thanks for your help!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more