ASUS_User
Level 3: Gumshoe

Cannot access ASUS router admin URL 192.168.1.1 - maybe CVE 20090 related

Up until June this year - I had no trouble accessing the admin page of an ASUS router. I am using an ethernet cable to the router. First issue - I couldn't access the admin page over MS Edge - but could still reach it over Chrome. Then Chrome stopped working. I have since downloaded IE and Firefox - all to no avail. I have cleared my cookies / cache, checked I'm not using proxy settings to connect to the LAN. I factory reset the router and the admin page was available for about 15 minutes - when navigating between "settings" tabs - the browser froze and disconnected. I was very interested to find the vulnerabilities listed under the CVE 2021 20090 and the large number of router models affected. I am on FTTN so have a DSL router - last manufactured in 2018 (I think). ASUS had upgraded the firmware in mid August this year - so I updated the firmware. The only way I have been able to maintain access to the router is to enable access via the WAN which is not recommended. I suspected I may have a virus - I run Trend Micro on the computer (all the time) but downloaded McAfee's Stinger and did a full scan - it didn't find anything. Anyone else having these issues ??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Cannot access ASUS router admin URL 192.168.1.1 - maybe CVE 20090 related

Which ASUS Router do you have and are you using the standard ASUS firmware? I don't use my ASUS routers anymore (quite content with the Telstra Smart Modem 2 nowdays) but when I did, I used the Merlin versions of the firmware, which to me seemed better and more frequently maintained, updated. It could be worth trying for your device - have a look here  ASUS WRT - Merlin to see if they support your router?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - one of my test modems is an ASUS RT AC-68U which was upgraded in early August 2021 to FW: 3.0.0.4.386.43129 and was stable afterwards for the period of observation which was for two days. Do you experience the same symptoms when you connect to the router using Wi-Fi?

Does you ASUS router allow you to manually roll back the firmware to the previous version and if so have you tried that to see if it allows a stable admin access. Maybe your modem sufferered some firmware corruption on its last update. If a rollback is feasible, perhaps let it run until you are satisfied all is OK and then try another manual update rather than an auto update if your model allows it.  

ASUS_User

Hi Mkrtich - I was having the same issue before upgrading the firmware (unable to access admin page).  The router runs perfectly - the kids have been gaming all day since I factory reset it.  The problem is for me to access it to update time of day settings or filtered website lists.

I could roll back the software but the CVE 20090 looks like it something you want to prevent by running the latest firmware.

Thanks

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Do you get an error message when trying to access the modem's GUI?

Have you tried accessing the modem's GUI using a phone or tablet?

ASUS_User

Hi cf4 - good suggestion to try the phone but no joy there either.

Error message varies a bit by platform - over Edge it is - http://192.168.1.1/ is unreachable.

Android phone - 192.168.1.1 refused to connect.

Firefox - Unable to connect - Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at router.asus.com.

I've run ipconfig from a command prompt to confirm the gateway is 192.168.1.1

cf4

Suggest you install the Fing app on an Android or IOS device that is connected to the modem and do a scan for connected devices. Check if there is device with the same IP address as the modem.

Also check if you can ping 192.168.1.1 and checkif you can log into modem using https://192.168.1.1.

ASUS_User

OK - Fing app is a useful little tool.  No other devices on the network with the same IP address.  The gateway and DNS were listed as 192.168.1.1.  No joy using https instead of http.  I was able to ping 192.168.1.1 from the command prompt.

Mkrtich

If you don't have a lot of custom programming to redo, and given that you have you previously done a Factory Reset which didn't help , a rollback scenario may be worthwhile to see if that allows a log-in connection. If successful, it then be upgraded to current firmware version.

cf4

When using https://192.168.1.1 do you get a different error message similar to those shown below? If you do go to Advanced and select continue to site.

Edge:

"Your connection isn't private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from 192.168.178.1 (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

ASUS_User

No - the error message for https is the same as http - cannot reach address.

To approach this differently this morning - I factory reset the router and changed its LAN IP address first up (192.168.10.1).  I have been gradually adding back all the settings I had previously set.  I log out of the router, shut down the browser periodically and re-open the browser and navigate back to the admin login screen with no issues so far.  I am also working off an old laptop to setup the router as I was amazed how much the ASUS GUI "remembers" even after a factory reset when working from the same computer I've set it up from before.

ASUS_User

Sorry SteveW - missed your reply yesterday.  Thanks for the suggestion BUT because we're on FTTN we've got to run a DSL router - fewer and fewer manufactured and it looks like Merlin haven't produced software for the DSL version of the AC3100.

I have teenage kids so I use the web filtering, time access settings and wi-fi time control settings in the ASUS.  Otherwise the Smart Modem would deliver what we need.

I think I have solved it by changing the LAN IP address on the router.

SteveW_52

Wasn't sure what model your router was, but though it was worth suggesting the option anyway.

Yours is an odd problem, even odder that you can fix it by a change to the LAN IP Range..  but you don't have another DHCP server on the network..  I have seen a lot of things over the years, but not that scenario!

Your next option might be to try a different router perhaps, possibly a different brand as well?

Stevo 52
ASUS_User

I'm wondering if someone is smart enough to exploit the vulnerability in the CVE 20090 thing for routers with web access enabled - could they also make it "difficult" to reach the standard IP address for the admin page.  This would make people less likely turn off the web access if it remains the only way of accessing the admin features.

Admin page remaining accessible for the day and over multiple devices.

Re: new router - nothing new appears to be coming for DSL - I'll have to wait until they roll out FTTP in our town.

SteveW_52

Anything is possible, but the question is it of any worth to someone to do that?

The problems with accessing the default internal IP would seem an unlikely reason.

With that internal IP addressing, in your shoes I would test a number of different IP ranges, especially in the 3rd group (the one you changed to 10).  I would  also try IP ranges in the 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 as a comparison. All that testing is relevant to how important it is in relation to the the time required to prove the issue?

It would be time consuming and need careful result analysis but the results of that might show a pattern in addresses that have the issue. If so, then it is likely to be a fault in the router.

I wasn't suggesting a new, as in 'latest' router, just a different brand/model with DSL capabality - if it is a hardware issue swapping the modem would prove it. Would be quicker than doing the IP addressing tests above?

Stevo 52
RyanH
Support Team
Support Team

Hey ASUS_User,

I have sent you a PM to see if we can help.

- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more