Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Cant turn off remote access from anywhere in router homepage FAST 5344 Segemcom

I'm not very technical and after several phone calls to Telstra I have not been able to get this matter resolved. In modem homepage under access control, settings, advanced in router settings the "Allow remote access from everywhere" will not switch off. By default this feature should be turned off but for some reason every time i switch it to off it always comes back on.

I have tried resetting modem turning everything off etc but can't seem to turn off the remote access from anywhere.

I'm worried that this is a potential security issue. The only advice I got from telstra was that and I quote  "The remote access feature is not functioning because its not well developed by Telstra".

So in other words even though it says its on from the router settings its not really? After 3 phone calls I decided to try and get some assistance from here.

Any idea why this feature is on and why we can't turn it off? I do have a strong router password so don't think anyone has potentially hacked the remote access feature but I can't be 100% sure. Any assistance would be great. Thanks in advanced.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Cant turn off remote access from anywhere in router homepage FAST 5344 Segemcom

If remote access Enabled is off at Services > Remote Web Access then even though no one can access your gateway remotely even if "Allow remote access from everywhere" is enabled. The option "Allow remote access from everywhere" only applies when Remote Web Access is enabled and even if Remote Web access is enable the person accessing gateway has to know the port and password to access gateway's GUI 

Highlighted

Re: Cant turn off remote access from anywhere in router homepage FAST 5344 Segemcom

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked services and remote web access is off. Its strange that the remote access from everywhere wont turn off though.

Does it matter that the use random password is on under services? Just trying to make sure everything is secure.

Highlighted

Yes it is secure to leave random password on. The "Random password" and "Allow remote access from everywhere"  for have any effect if Remote Web Access is enabled.

It does sound a bit scary that "Allow remote access from everywhere" is on but if you use the example of a houses electrical wiring. If the main circuit breaker is of (Enable Remote Web Access Off) then all the other switches and circuit breakers in the house (Other Remote Web Access Settings) have no effect.

Highlighted

That makes sense. Thanks again for your help.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more