Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

CG3100D-2 Cable modem drop outs

Hi,

I have a Cable modem CG3100D-2 with the following spec as per the Gateway status.

Standard Specification CompliantEuroDOCSIS 3.0 and DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware Version2.02
Software Version5.5.7.mp2.V2.06.05
Software Version(Linux)2.6.30.V2.06.05

I am running Windows 7 am using Microsoft Office Live meeting.  I am on a Cable Ultimate plan, which should be 100Mbps Download and =~2.4Mbps upload.  I keep on getting intermittent dropouts, and it's been going on for months.  Today, I'm trying to use Outlook Office Live meeting and every now and again (10 times today over a 5 hour period) the whole connection drops out for a few seconds and then reconnects.  This is very, very frustrating.  When I do a speedtest I get a Ping of 8ms, 110Mb/2.3Mb, so the actual speed is fine, just the drop outs.  The same thing happens using Office Communicator except I hear everyone fine, but the consistent feedback at the other end is that I drop out with them.  What is going on?  I'm on my 3rd CG3100D-2 modem since we moved in 18 months ago.  It makes any type of voice communication over the internet virtually impossible.

We also  have Foxtel on the same cable coming into the premises using the correct Telstra splitter.  Below are the errors over today (with the MAC address removed).  Can someone from Telstra please let me know what they think might be the problem and how to fix, as this is driving me craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy.  Thanks a lot.

Thu Jul 17 06:18:16 2014   Error (4)  DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=[removed by client]CMTS-MAC=[removed by client];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Thu Jul 17 05:36:46 2014   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=[removed by client];CMTS-MAC=[removed by client];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Time Not Established  Warning (5)  DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=[removed by client];CMTS-MAC=[removed by client];CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Time Not Established  Notice (6)  Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC;CM-MAC=[removed by client];CMTS-MAC=[removed by client];CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=[removed by client]CMTS-MAC=[removed by client];CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Thu Jul 17 02:11:48 2014   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=[removed by client];CMTS-MAC=[removed by client]CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 
 Wed Jul 16 22:05:55 2014   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=[removed by client]CMTS-MAC=[removed by client]CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0; 

Also, below are the statistics for my connection, which unless I'm mistaken seem to be within tolerances.

Startup Procedure
ProcedureStatusComment
Acquire Downstream Channel438000000 HzLocked
Connectivity StateOKOperational
Boot StateOKOperational
Configuration FileOK 
SecurityEnabledBPI+

Downstream Bonded Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol rateFrequencyPowerSNRDOCSIS/EuroDOCSIS locked
LockedQAM642176952000 sym/sec438000000 Hz-0.5 dBmV40.4 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM642186952000 sym/sec446000000 Hz-0.4 dBmV40.7 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM642196952000 sym/sec454000000 Hz-0.4 dBmV41.6 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM642206952000 sym/sec462000000 Hz-0.3 dBmV40.7 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM642216952000 sym/sec470000000 Hz-0.3 dBmV41.9 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM642226952000 sym/sec478000000 Hz-0.4 dBmV40.5 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM642236952000 sym/sec486000000 Hz-0.6 dBmV40.9 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM642246952000 sym/sec494000000 Hz-0.8 dBmV39.8 dBEuroDOCSIS

Upstream Bonded Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol RateFrequencyPower
LockedATDMA15120 Ksym/sec47000000 Hz51.5 dBmV
Not LockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV

Current System Time:Thu Jul 17 07:06:08 2014

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: CG3100D-2 Cable modem drop outs

Hi Domchamp,

Are these conferences only Audio are are you also sharing files/desktops or presentations? I do know that if the upload bandwidth is maxed out, this can cause cable modem to perform an internal restart, which is my initial suspicion about what is happening. 

I would start by suggesting (if possible) is to lower the audio quality from HD to SD. I was unable to find any information if this is possible via Microsoft Office Live Meetings [ current version now offered as Microsoft Lync http://products.office.com/en-gb/lync/]. 

If you have a BYO router available to you, I would also suggest bridging the Netgear (by Disabling the WiFi Interface and NAT) to that router and see if that resolves the issue. 

If the disconnections continue, then please contact Tech Support on 133 933 so that a technician can be organised to check the network between the tap on the street and the outlet within your home.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Shelly,

Generally it is audio, but sometimes it's also presentations.  However, it seems to happen at random times - that is sometimes I'm sharing a lot and there seems to be no issue whatsoever; other times when I'm not doing much it just stops.

So, can you please answer the following additional three sets of questions:

1.  Is there a way to stop this internal resetting of the modem?  For example, would this internal re-setting of the modem stop if I make the following change in my CG3100D-2 in the Services menu (see below picture) by turning OFF "IP Flood Detection"?  (I appreciate that this may not be recommended but if it solves my problem, given that I've got strong virus protection and other security measures, it may be worth trying). 

Services

Firewall FeaturesOff
Ipsec PassThroughEnable
PPTP PassThroughEnable
MulticastEnable
Port Scan DetectionEnable
IP Flood DetectionChange to disable

Assuming 1 above won't work:

2.1  Where do I find the EXACT instructions to Bridge my CG3100D-2 (so that I can use another Router).  That is, what exact settings do I need to change when I log in at 192.168.0.1 to turn it into a modem only?

2.2  And if I do this, other than using one of the ethernet ports from the modem to the router, am I still able to use any of the remaining 3 ethernet ports of the Bridged CG3100D-2?

3.  I have a spare CG3100D-2.

3.1   Is it possible to use that spare as a router (with my main CG3100D-2 in bridge mode)? And if so:

3.2  What are the settings I need to use to turn my spare CG3100D-2 into a router only?

3.3. Or do I need to go out and buy a BYO Router?

Thanks in anticipation of your answers.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Domchamp,

I don't have an answer for number 1, I will have to refer to our product lead for that one. As advise that this doesn't seem related to when you are doing alot of uploading specifically, we will leave this for now.

To set the Netgear Cable modem to bridged mode you need to access the modem interface via http://192.168.0.1, then disable the WiFi interface and then disable NAT.

You can then connect the BYO router of your choice.

As the BigPond Cable network authenticates via the modem itself, in order to swap modems you will need to register the new modem to your account. Be warned, there is an issue where sometimes these registration orders fail to complete, and registering an old modem may be the cause of the problem.

I would also suggest making sure that you are using the correct power pack. If you went from a CG3100 to a CG3100-2 then please take a look at the following link: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Cable-Wifi-speeds-and-power-pack-used/td-p/3769...

I wouldn't set one CG3100D-2 as a modem and another as a router, it sort of seems to defeat the purpose bridging the modem.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Thanks Shelly.  I look forward to the further technical advice on point 1.  Please answer 2.2 (I think you missed that one).

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Domchamp,

We still haven't received a reply from our product lead team concerning point 1.  

As for 2.2, bridging a modem is not supported by BigPond technical support so we are unsure if those remaining 3 ethernet ports on the bridged modem will work.   It would depend on how the modem is set up.  My concern is that bridging a modem turns it into a 'dumb' box, so there is no guarantee that the other features, like port forwarding or firewalls will work, therefore,  we are advising that it is not recommended.  If you would like further information about this 'point' I would recommend talking to our Telstra Platinum or a private IT technician.

- Ben D

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more