GH23
Level 1: Cadet

Change Telstra modem

The Telstra provided Smart Modem is a piece of junk. Constantly causing drop outs over and over I am about to take a hammer to it. Has anyone swapped our the Telstra router for something more reliable like an Ubiquiti router? Does Telstra modems use a username and password to connect?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Change Telstra modem

Third part modem's can be used provided they have a VDSL modem if the connection type is FTTN or FTTB or a ADSL /VDSL modem for ADSL connection types.  A normal router can be used for other connection types. Username and password are only used on ADSL and velocity connections. All other types of connections don't require a user name and password.

The dropouts might not be due to the modem but a fault on the connection. If dropouts are due to a fault replacing modem want stop the dropouts.

Dowser
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

Is there a test that the OP can do to work out if the modem is at fault?.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Presuming you go to a third party modem, you won't have the 4G fall back.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

@ProfessorPhone wrote:

Presuming you go to a third party modem, you won't have the 4G fall back.

@GH23  And you won't have access to voice services.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
cf4

@Dowser 

There are several test that can be done. The main one is to observe the online and link lights on the modem. If either of these change when devices lose there internet connection but WiFi light stays green then the dropouts are probably a fault with the link.

The only real way to prove if the modem is not causing dropouts is to replace modem.

GH23

Yeh well the 4G backup is a piece of **bleep** too.  It's never worked even with "engineers" coming on site to fix.  

GH23

Voice services never work anyway.  

Emily99
Support Team
Support Team

Hey there @GH23

If you're having issues with the modem - we can look at a replacement for you. You can connect with our faults team via 13 22 00 - or online here: https://tel.st/wttkh

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more