Mahutch
Level 3: Gumshoe

Chromecast and Telstra Essential Pro 2 not connecting to Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Answered

I recently received a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and now my Chromecast and Telstra Essential Pro 2 phone will not recognise the wifi on the new modem. I previously had a Telstra Smart Modem/Telstra Frontier Gateway. All my other devices (laptops, Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Note 10+, etc) connect without an issue.

Any assistance would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mahutch
Accepted Solution

Re: Chromecast and Telstra Essential Pro 2 not connecting to Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Thank you. It does seem that the modem's 2.5 GHz WiFi is faulty as the following your steps above the 2.5GHz WiFi SSID does not show up. I will now contact Telstra for a replacement one.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Chromecast and Telstra Essential Pro 2 not connecting to Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

The Telstra Essential Pro 2 only has 2.4 GHz WiFi.  The problem could be due to the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi being faulty. All your other devices are probably dual band WiFi devices. To check if the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty suggest you log into the modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra) and turn of band steering in the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. Turning of band steering adds -5G to the name of the 5 GHz WiFi network. If the 2.4 GHz WiFi is working you should see two WiFi SSIDs in the list of available WiFi networks on your other devices. If you only see the modem's WiFi name with -5G added then the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty. 

Mahutch
Accepted Solution

Thank you. It does seem that the modem's 2.5 GHz WiFi is faulty as the following your steps above the 2.5GHz WiFi SSID does not show up. I will now contact Telstra for a replacement one.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more