JohnnyChristo
Level 1: Cadet

Configure OpenWRT router to use telstra sim

Hi all

I have a router with OpenWRT firmware 19.1101

It has a SIM slot

1) how do I configure to Telstra pre paid sim?

2) Also will this use the "Telstra Air" network when in range?

Thanks

JC

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Configure OpenWRT router to use telstra sim

If we knew what model router is was, then it would make it easier to help. It would also let us figure out if it was compatible with the Telstra network.

But the answer to Q2 is no. It won't use the Telstra Air network.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JohnnyChristo
Level 1: Cadet

Thankyou for your reply. 
it is a AC Link

Jupiter

I can't find any reference to an "AC Link" router or modem. Is there any other model number written on it?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - would it possibly be a TP-Link Archer AC ..... or other TP-Link model - they are highly represented on the Openwrt.org web site. Generically, the process would involve selecting a dual WAN configuration where you would program the 4G WAN as auto Back-Up mode for when the wired primary WAN was down or make the 4G WAN on 24/7 -i.e make it a mobile broadband only modem.

Next you would need to program the Telstra Access Point Name (APN) details for your Pre-Paid SIM into the modem. Telstra has a variety of APNs for different devices - maybe do a web search on APN and try one till you find one that works. I have used telstra.internet with my iPhone 6 Aldi SIM in a Telstra V7610 modem with additional line entries for other associated input requirements. I have also seen telstra.wap on others.

If you paste a picture of your modem's dual WAN settings pages it would assist @Jupiter  and me to provide any additional assistance if required. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more