stewiesno1
Level 3: Gumshoe

Connect older Telstra Gateway Max to new Telstra Smart modem

We are doing a knockdown and rebuild and have just had our internet and phone disconnected ( it is mostly a NBN issue and shifting our Telstra pit that used to service both our neighbours and our place). We have a temp shed setup for accomodation at the rear and our neighbour is letting us access her internet via ADSL and her Telstra smart modem for the next year or so. I've strung an ethernet cable connected to a LAN port on her modem and connected the other end to a LAN port on our modem. We need to connect via WiFi on our modem to a three year old MacBook and maybe to our older Mac via an ethernet cable ( it's old but has my CAD program that I drew the plans for our DA and a lot of other associated documents that will need to be updated as we progress with the build ). Have I got the cables connected right and/or do I need to put our modem into bridging mode to make this work properly? Or should I shelve the Gateway Max and just get a router with WIFI? TIA, Stewie

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: CCoonnect older Telstra Gateway Max to new Telstra Smart modem

nnect the WAN port on your gateway to the LAN port on neighbours modem and it should work.

stewiesno1

Hmmm, I just tried that, rebooted both modems and still nothing. The power light on our modem is on as is the 2.4GHz and 5GHz lights, the downstream light is flashing but the WAN and upstream lights are both off.

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - may be worth giving the Gateway Max a Factory Reset which will remove all previous settings.  First remove all WAN and LAN cables. With power ON the modem, insert a paperclip into the Restore hole for around 10 seconds and you should see the modem commence a factory reset with flashing LEDs. After it boots successfully, reconnect your WAN port to your neighbour's LAN port.

cf4

There are two gateway max. One for DSL the other for csble. It looks like you have the cable gateway max which I doesn't have the WAN port enabled by default and also uses the same LAN IP address as Smart modem. This makes it harder to set up.

There are two ways you can set it up. One way is to set up as access point in which case both you and your neighbour will be able to to access each others devices.  The other way is to use gateway max as a router. In this configuration you will be able to connect to your neighbour's devices but your network will be isolated from your neighbour. Which method do you want to use?

stewiesno1

Thanks for the info. We are/were on cable so as you say we have the cable modem whereas our neighbour in on ADSL. I guess we will go the second way you mentioned and use our Gateway max as a mere router. I presume that we could still use the WIFI function if we go down that route? Cheers

cf4

I did not realize you had the cable version before the second your post  I assumed you had the DSL version of the Gateway Max as you had mentioned ADSL. You will be able to use both WiFi and ethernet ports in both configurations.

To set the Gateway up as a router that can connect to the Smart modem.

1. Open a Web browser on a devices connected to Gateway Max and go to http://192.168.0.1. Default user name is admin and default password is password.
  2. Go to Advanced View > Local Network > LAN
  3. Change IP address so that it doesn't use 192.168.0.xx. Example change to 192.168.1.1.
  4. Select Apply Modem will reboot.
  5. Log into modem again using its new IP address. In the example above it would be http://192.168.1.1
  6. Go to Advanced View > WAN Setup
  7. Select WAN Backup from drop down list.
  8. Select Enable WAN Mode.
  9. Select Apply. Gateway will reboot.
  10. Connect WAN port of Gateway Max to LAN port of Smart modem.

You should now have internet on Gateway Max.

stewiesno1

Thanks for the comprehensive instructions. They were easy to follow but sadly I still can't connect through our Gateway Max.

I did all the above and thought maybe it was a cable issue. I have the first 20m cable from our neighbours place then a connector in the roof with the second cable strung out over our ceiling joists and then down through the plasterboard to our Gateway Max. I thought maybe one or both of the cables ( about 10 years old - the Gateway Max is probably 5+ ) could be faulty so I took the gateway Max across to our neighbours and used a brand new short 2m ethernet cable, plugged into her LAN port then to the WAN port on ours. Same result. The power, 2.4GHz and 5GHz lights are green after powering it on and waiting a minute or two for the flashing to stop but the WAN light is blue. Any other suggestions?

cf4

The WAN light should be blue. when the WAN port is being used for the internet and the connection is working correctly. It will flicker when data is transmitted or received. If you log into the gateway you should see "Your cable service is working normally. You are connected and online"

stewiesno1

Trouble is, when I select our WIFI network, Safari throws up an error message saying 

"Your WAN connection is down.
Check your link and Internet connection settings..."

I get this when I log onto the Gateway Max..."Your gateway cannot detect a Cable signal or is having problems connecting."

cf4

What model is the telstra smart modem (DJA0230, DJA0231 or LH1000)?

Coul you post the Advanced View > Local Network > LAN and the Advanced View > WAN Setup >  WAN Backup.

cf4

This is what you should see

Gateway Max as Router connected Smart modem WAN settingsGateway Max as Router connected Smart modem LAN settingsGateway Max as Router connected Smart modem Home page

stewiesno1

It is an LH1000.

cf4

I was using a Technicolor modem in my setup but will try using the Arcadyan.

Has your neighbour changed the IP address of the Smart modem from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1. If he has that would be the reason its not working.

The other alternative is to set gateway as access point by.

1. Change its IP address to  192.168.0.2 and set DHCP to no in gateway (Advanced view > Local Area Network LAN)
  2. Connect LAN port of Gateway to LAN port of Smart Modem.

In this configuration want be able to connect to gateway without gateway being connected to Smart modem. The home page and lights will indicate no internet but you should have internet on your devices.

cf4

Has your neighbour changed the IP address of the Smart modem from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1. If he has that would be the reason its not working.

The other alternative is to set gateway as access point by.

1. Change its IP address to  192.168.0.2 and set DHCP to no in gateway (Advanced view > Local Area Network LAN)
  2. Connect LAN port of Gateway to LAN port of Smart Modem.

In this configuration want be able to connect to gateway without gateway being connected to Smart modem. The home page and lights will indicate no internet but you should have internet on your devices.

Mkrtich

I may have solved the mystery - on my test setup, the LH:1000 Firewall appears to be blocking the Internet connection for reasons unknown. I had the same unfortunate experience as stewiesno1 for two hours today with a few factory resets when connecting the C6300BD WAN port to the Arcadyan LAN port - WAN BackUp mode activated and IP address changed in the Netgear to 192.168.1.1.

I removed the LH:1000 and directly connected the C6300BD to the NBN HFC modem which immediately snapped into the Internet no worries - typing this reply using it.

@stewiesno1 - do you have another spare old modem with a WAN port or an ADSL modem with 4 LAN only ports that can have one LAN port changed to a WAN port in it's GUI screens. 

EDIT: my C6300BD is Hardware Version C6300BD-202 with Software Version: 5510_V10415

stewiesno1

@cf4. "Has your neighbour changed the IP address of the Smart modem from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1. If he has that would be the reason its not working."

I'm unsure on this. I can ask her later tonight.

I tried your " The other alternative is to set gateway as access point" but when I accessed the Gateway and typed in the new address 192.168.0.2 I get this error message...

stewiesno1

@ Mkrtich,

cf4

Change the starting IP address to 192.168.0.3 and it should accept the change. Sorry I missed out on that step.

I tried my gateway max in router mode with the connected to LAN port of LH1000 and had the same results as you and @Mkrtich 

I can confirm that connecting gateway max as access point to LH1000 using steps in my previous post does work when you include the step I missed out in the post.

stewiesno1

Hi again. I tried what you suggested but still no connection. I even went next door and logged into her Telstra Smart Modem using the address 192.168.0.1. This was the result from the advanced box...

cf4

It looks like there is already a device (Galaxy J1 Pro) using the IP address 192.168.0.2. Try changing the IP address of the Gateway Max to an IP address not used by any other device connected to the DJA0231. You could try 192.168.0.50, that address doesn't appear to be used. You might have to change the starting IP address to 51.

stewiesno1

I tried your suggestion and changed the IP address of the Gateway Max to 192.168.0.50 and the starting IP to 192.168.0.51 and the DHCP server to no then tapped the apply button. After rebooting the MacBook won't pick up the WIFI signal of the Gateway Max so I have to do the paperclip in the hole and reboot the Gateway Max back to default settings to have WIFI access to it.

cf4

Was the gateway Max's LAN pprt connected to a LAN pprt on the LH1000 when you tried to connect the MAC? With DHCP turned of the Gateway Max has to be connected to LH1000 to for you to be able to connect to it.

stewiesno1

It appears we my have had a hardware connection problem. We have a Telstra TV also so I thought about bypassing the Gateway Max altogether and by use of another connector and the existing network cable from the modem/router above directly from our neighbours new smart modem and the cables that I had already run that we could connect to it. But no . So I replaced one of the cables and both ethernet connectors and voila, we have lift off. So now we know that I can connect directly to our neighbours smart modem and our place and that the cables and connectors are all good. I'll run though the steps outlined by cf4 in the posts above either later tonight or tomorrow and report back. Eventually I'll run a single 30m ethernet cable between our neighbour modem and our temporary accomodation.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more