pevans26
Level 2: Rookie

Connecting a shared printer to a Technicolor DJA0231 modem/router Version Champagne (18.1.c)

I was able to connect my printer wirelessly to iPhones, iPads and Macs using a Sagencom F@st 5355. Telstra has upgraded my modem to a Technicolor DJA0231 modem/router Version Champagne (18.1.c) and from what I have read on this CrowdSupport site, I should be able to share my printer, HP LaserJet Professional P 1102w, across my wifi network. But alas, nothing seems to work. Plugging it into the USB port on the modem or using WPS does not allow any printing. The WPS just does not connect to the printer at all.

Is there something I'm missing?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Connecting a shared printer to a Technicolor DJA0231 modem/router Version Champagne (18.1.c)

The DJA0231 modem has a tendency for the 2.4 GHz WiFi to go faulty. The printer only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi, your other devices are probably dual band.

To check if 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty suggest you disable band steering by logging into modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra), go to WiFi, disable band steering in the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi settings and save settings. Disabling band steering adds -5G to the name of the modem's 5 GHz WiFi. If you no longer see the normal modem's WiFi name but the name with -5G added in the list of WiFi networks then the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty and you should contact support for a replacement modem.

If you see both the modem's normal name and the name with -5G added then the 2.4 GHz WiFi is not faulty and the problem might be due to the printer not supporting the WiFi security protocol used by modem. Suggest you first try turning of Protected Management Frames in modem's Advanced > WiFi settings. Scroll down to bottom of the 2.4 GHz settings. If that doesn't work try changing Security mode from WPA2 PSK to WPA + WPA2 PSK

pevans26
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Connecting a shared printer to a Technicolor DJA0231 modem/router Version Champagne (18.1.c)

Thanks for your help, but it seems my problem was much more basic. When I set up the new modem with a new name and password, it hadn't occurred to me to reset the password on the printer even though I am using the same password that used before. Anyway, thank you again

cf4

When I get a new modem I change both the WiFi name and password, I also change LAN IP address to the old modem's LAN IP address, then everything automatically connects.

Marty_M
Level 8: Inspector

I do the same cf4. Just to clarify I assume you mean keep the same IP range address when changing modems so that all client devices connect with the previously established SSID and password.

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
cf4

Yes I do mean change the new modem to have the same IP range as old modem. Most modem's want let you change the LAN IP address without also changing the LAN IP  range to use the same subset as the modem's LAN IP address.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more