Mallum
Level 1: Cadet

Connecting another modem to an existing modem in the same house

Hey, I have a Telstra gateway max 2 as the main modem in my office. However, the issue is that my computer room is quite far away from the modem and I would like to boost the connection. I already have a lan cable running from the main modem to the room. I was wondering if I could connect a second Telstra gateway max 2 and use it as a form of booster.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Connecting another modem to an existing modem in the same house

You can use the second gateway max 2 as a network switch and wifi access point by.

1. Turn off IPv6 in second gateway max 2 (Advanced > Local Network).
  2. Change  LAN IP off second gateway max 2 so that it is not the same as main Max 2. Example change to 10.0.0.139. (Advanced > Local Network).
  3. Turn off DHCP in second gateway max 2 (Advanced > Local Network).
  4. Connect LAN port of second gateway max 2 to LAN port of main gateway max 2
  5. For best results should also change WiFi SSID and WiFi password of second Gateway Max 2 to the same as the main gateway max 2.
Mallum

So would I just plug the Lan cable running from my main gateway into the second ones Wan port? Then connect to it and change it settings that way?

cf4

No. Change the settings on the second gateway by connecting to it. The Gateway doesn't need to be connected to internet to change the settings. Once you have changed the settings connect the LAN port of the the second gateway to a LAN port of the main gateway. Devices will have connected to second gateway will have internet access but the online and link light will be off. You will be able to access the second gateway's GUI by navigating to its new IP address if you want to change any settings.

Mallum

Yes this does give me internet access on the second gateway but it removes internet access on the second.

cf4

If you don't have internet access on first gateway one of the settings is incorrect.

Can you still access the first gateways settings?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more