Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Connecting devices to Velocity service

Answered

Hoping that someone can answer what I feel will be a simple question, can't see where it has been covered before though.

I have a FTTP connection to a Telstra NTD that is mounted inside my garage, and a Smart Modem is connected via a data point at a further distance inside the house to provide service, which I'm guessing is the standard MO for Telstra NBN installation a few years ago.  I want to change the Xbox to run off an Ethernet connection as the WiFi is pretty sketchy; I don't have a data point in that room, so when I have an additional data point installed in the room where the Xbox is, where will the tech run the cable to - the Modem or the NTD?  Reason I ask is that the NTD has 'LAN' (that's what they're labelled anyway) Ports, and it seems that you could run a cable from the data point back to the NTD where everything is plugged in, and run a patch cable into one of the unused 3 LAN Ports to get access.  Is this correct, or does the NTD only feed the service in, and the modem should be providing the service to other devices?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting devices to Velocity service

The cable should be run to where the modem is located. All devices should connect to the modem and not directly to the NTD.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The cable should be run to where the modem is located. All devices should connect to the modem and not directly to the NTD.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you.  So in that case the cable should run from the new point in the room where the Xbox is to a new point on the wall where the modem is, and have a patch cable connecting it to the modem?  Not what I need to know really, but for curiosity sake, why all the 'spare' ports in the NTD?

Thanks again

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more