Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Connecting Google nest mesh with Telstra Gateway

I am trying to connect google nest mess with Telstra Gateway.  I can’t seem to get the google router to connect with the gateway box, despite following the instructions. Any ideas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Connecting Google nest mesh with Telstra Gateway

Are you connecting the globe ethernet port on the nest router to a LAN port on the Telstra gateway?

What error message are you getting?

Have set the Telstra Gateway to Bridge mode. The google nest will work with gateway in normal mode but there will be double NATs which could prevent some apps working properly. If gateway is bridged the wifi on gateway should be turned off and only the google nest should be connected directly to gateway. 

Highlighted

I have connected it to the WAN port as per the instructions. 

The effort message is saying it can’t connect (and suggests turning off and back on.. which does nothing)

How do you set the Gateway to Bridge mode (I’m not sure what that means, in any event)

Highlighted

Hi, i tried to interpret what you suggested... bit of trial and error... and it seemed to work. Thanks. 

Highlighted

Glad to hear you got it working.

When the gateway is set to Bridged Mode the router function in the Gateway is turned off. The Google Nest has its own router so the modems router function isn't need. If the modem is not set to Bridge the google nest instead of connecting directly to internet has the modem's firewall and NAT between it and the internet. Devices connected to the google nest will have internet access but you might find some apps don't work properly. You will find games consuls such as PS3 and Xbox might complain about strict NAT when playing online games. 

Highlighted

I appreciate your help. Very kind of you.  Thanks 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more