ACC18
Level 1: Cadet

connecting M5 Mobile router to netgear V7610 modem

I have just purchased a Net gear M5 mobile router. I need it to connect several ethernet devices. My existing modem is a Netgear Telstra smart modem V7610, How do i connect this to the new M5 router?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: connecting M5 Mobile router to netgear V7610 modem

The M5 Router is a 5G mobile router, so are you intending to use that instead of the V7610 for your internent service?

I believe the M5 is primarily a Wi-Fi device. While there is an ethernet port, it seems to be an input for an alternative internet service (backup) rather than an output that you can use to connect a small switch to, for wired ethernet distribution. In which case it may not do what you want as it is. An additional Access Point connecting to the M5 by Wi-Fi would be the way to go I think, for that requitement.

Happy to be corrected on this, I haven't had much hands on with an M5 but that was what I figured out when I set one up, luckily that set up required no copper connections.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - there are a few posts on CrowdSupport that show people having difficulties with connecting the Telstra M5 to a LAN Switch, a PC or a Modem using the Ethernet port, so it remains a mystery as @SteveW_52 has outlined. Not sure if Telstra firmware has limited the Ethernet port's functionality. The User guide shows a USB-C connection from a PC to the M5 - no examples of a Router connection per previous M1 and M2 user guides. I couldn't find a Telstra User Guide previously. Suggest you contact Telstra Platinum Support to verify if the M5 can be used the way you want it to be and ask them how to set it up. 

The Netgear Datasheet on the MR5100 makes it appear 'simple' implying some automatic recognition but their User Guide conveniently omits any mention of how to do it giving a reader the impression it is restricted to working as a Mobile Hotspot. Contradicting this, Whirlpool posts show two examples and settings used with the M5 front ending a Synology Router and an Orbi Router with some issues that may have been addressed with firmware NTGX55_12.04.12.00 October 5th. - its a long post - look for [phoenixfx dated 7 June 2021 re IP Passthrough] and [Vanguard-Anon dated 4th August 2021]  https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/9vyk7yx3 

Netgear Datasheet Words.

At Home / Office / Hotel

[1] If Fibre, DSL or Cable Internet speeds are not optimal in your area, 5G can be more reliable as your primary Internet connection. Simply connect your Nighthawk M5 Mobile Router to your existing home router to deliver 5G speeds throughout your home.

[2] For always-On WiFi, the Nighthawk M5 Mobile Router can also provide a reliable backup Internet connection over the mobile network. If Fibre, DSL or Cable is interrupted or unavailable, automatically switch from Ethernet to the 5G/4G network and all devices will remain seamlessly connected.

Note:- I think this can only happen with Routers that have a Dual WAN feature.

The V7610 has a Dual WAN feature enabling it to sense when the primary WAN is down and switch it over to 4G LTE WAN. Telstra offer this function to customers who were given an accompanying special Huawei Data 4G USB Wingle that is inserted to the V7610. If you had that arrangement previously, ask Platinum Support if you can replace the Huawei Wingle with the M5 using a USB-C to USB-A cable connection as there may be some other changes required to the V7610 Settings.  

When enabled, the IP Passthrough feature of the M5 implies it turns OFF its NAT function and passes all data through to another Router/Modem. Whirlpool posts indicate the feature works with IP Passthrough ON or OFF, however when enabled, it reduces speed to 200 Mbps - I think that is more the limitation of the router/modem.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It would appear to be a problem with the base Netgear firmware causing the problems with the Ethernet port functionality as the problem has been reported elsewhere as well.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mkrtich

Yes it seems something is not right with Netgear's history of issues with the LAN/WAN port on previous versions of the Nighthawk units - hoping Platinum Support could confirm for the customer. Sometimes difficult to recommend a possible workaround as we don't know full usage requirements. 

If configuration [1] was desired, I would have expected with M5 Settings -  IP Passthrough Enabled, DHCP OFF, Ethernet Standby Disabled and WiFi OFF would make the M5 a 5G front end modem for the continuing use of the V7610 if that was required; also removing the battery to save it if a 24/7 operation. Makes it inconvenient if the unit is required for mobile use away from the home as it would need re-configuration again to restore to default settings for that mode. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more