Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Connecting multiple Wireless Access Points to my home network

I currently use a Telstra Smart Modem (Arcadyan, LH1000) as my modem, connected to an NBN box, both located at the front of my solid brick house. I recently connected a second Telstra Smart Modem (Technicolor, DJA0230) as an Access Point (not in Bridge mode), replacing a TP Link Wireless Access Point, located at the rear of my house, in an effort to provide better coverage in a Loft built over the top of my garage at the rear of my property. The DJA0230 devise was successfully connected as suggested in my prior post: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/using-second-telstra-smart-modem-in-bridge-mo... However, the Wi-Fi connection in the Loft above the garage continues to be unreliable with a fairly weak signal strength. I have just discovered there is a Cat5E ethernet cable that runs between the house and the garage, but is not connected to my network. My thinking now is to connect the ethernet cable into my home network and install the (spare) TP Link Wireless Access Point inside the Loft. I will still need to retain an Access Point (currently the DJA0230) at the rear of the house as this is needed to provide Wi-Fi coverage in the rear of the house. My questions are: 1. I assume I can have multiple wireless access points, in my case two (in addition to the LH1000 device), connected to my home network? 2. My understanding is that the ethernet cable to the Loft must to be connected to the LH1000 device at the front of the house, as this device is doing the routing functions as well as providing wireless access for the front of the house... and that I cannot connect the ethernet cable to the Loft to one of the LAN ports on the back of the DJA0230 device at the rear of the house, as this device is operating as an Access Point and does not perform any routing functions... is my understanding correct? 3. Assuming I must connect the ethernet cable to the Loft into the LH1000 device, and given this device has no spare LAN ports, my understanding is that I can purchase an Ethernet Switch to effectively expand the number of LAN ports available at the LH1000 device. Are there any features or specifications that I need to ensure this switch has to function effectively?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Connecting multiple Wireless Access Points to my home network

The Tp-Link can be connected to  a LAN port on the DJA0230. The DJA0230 is functioning as both a access point and a switch.

Alternatively you can connect thr Tp-Link to a switch connected directly to a LAN port on the LH1000.

Highlighted

Thanks cf4 for the prompt response... and I am glad I asked.  Connecting to the LAN port on the DJA0230 is a shorter (and hopfully easier) cable run.

Highlighted

Since my last post, I decided to proceed with the option to connect the TP-Link to a LAN port of the DJA0230.

I've completed the connection of the ethernet cable between the Loft (for the TP-Link, Model TL-WA901ND) and the rear of the house where the DJA0230 is located.  As previously outlined, the DJA0230 is connected over ethernet to an LH1000, the primary modem and router.

The TP-Link is active and I can connect to it using my mobile phone, however, the connection (on my phone) states it is "connected without internet", which is validated by not being able to access web sites through my phone using this connection.  I have not changed the configuration of the TP-Link since it was located at the rear of the house (before it was replaced by the DJA0230) and it remains in Access Point Mode.  I have also left it with it's original SSID and password, that is, I've not made it the same SSID and password as the DJA0230 and LH1000 (which have the same SSID and password).

I am seeking help as to what I need to change to enable internet connection over the TP-Link?

Highlighted

Does the TP-Link appear in the list of connected WiFi devices with a valid IP address on the Wi_Fi Devices Tab of the LH1000 home page?

If connected directly to LAN port of the LH1000 do devices connected ti its WiFi have Internet access?

Highlighted

The TP-Link does not appear in the list of connected WiFi devices on the Wi-Fi Devices tab - refer to following screen image.

The TP-Link does appear on the LH1000 Home page, under the Ethernet/Wired column, with a valid IP address, in this case 192.168.0.137 - refer to following screen image.

In reply to your second question - if I connect the TP-Link to a LAN port of the LH1000 and I connect to the TP-Link's Wi-Fi  using my mobile phone, I do have internet access over the TP-Link's Wi-Fi. 

Highlighted

There is no green tick next device so the device is not actually connected.

Have you tried connecting to the TP LINK to DJA0230 with a short LAN cable to check if new cable is faulty?

Highlighted

I wish I had thought of that, very logical to test connected via short cable to DJA0230... and yes, the TP-Link does connect with internet access in this set up.  Therefore, I understand there must be a problem with the ethernet cable I am trying to use between the DJA0230 and location in the Loft above the garage where I intend to locate the TP-Link.

I think I will try re-wiring the jacks at each end of the ethernet cable, in case this is the problem, otherwise I will need to replace the ethernet cable... which would be a bummer.

Thank you very much for your assistance. 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

All wifi connections must have the same SSID and Password. The reason you can connect but not access the internet is because you haven't changed the SSID and Password.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more