Tigertheliger
Level 3: Gumshoe

Connecting MyQ gateway

Hello everyone and anyone that can help.

Does anyone have the guidelines to get the Merlin MyQ wireless garage door opener to configure to the home internet LAN connection. It will connect on the work computer network but no joy at home with the standard Telstra Smart Modem.

Thank you

Kelvin   

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
45 REPLIES 45
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Connecting MyQ gateway

Your Telstra Smart Modem (2?) might have had the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band fail. If you have a Wi-Fi analyser app on your phone, you can use that to see if there is a 2.4 GHz service being broadcast.

The othe option is to open the GUI for the mosem and go to the Wi-Fi tab, then turn off the Band Steering option and save the setting change. You should then see a 2.4 GHZ band (original wi-fi name) and a 5 GHz  band (same name with -5G added). Password stays the same for both bands. If you can only see the 5 GHz band, then the modems 2.4 GHz band has failed. You will need to report it and request a replacement. Don't the the CS Rep fob you off with a ' but it's 50% working OK' ..  you need that 2.4 GHz band for your device.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Tigertheliger

Thanks Stevo 52,

The device is actually cable connected so would the same issue be applicable? I have tried direct into the modem router and in the house via the network switch with no luck. Cheers TTL

SteveW_52

If it is cable connected then no, it isn't applicable. I was thrown a bit by the fact that it is OK on the work network, but not on the home one and you stated it was a wireless device. 

Are you using the same PC at both places?

Is the IP address set on the device (I would expect the Work and Home networks might be different IP ranges)?

Are you using the correct IP address at hoem or are you relying on a device name and DNS?

Stevo 52
Tigertheliger

The device was cable connected at both. At home the green light keeps flashing noting it has not contacted the server. On the work network, plugged in and it went solid green meaning it connected. I have Telstra Smart modem (and switch but given I took the switch out of the equation) and work runs a different router. 

I think you are right on the differing IP address but there is no PC in play. Once it connects to the network it gets wirelessly accessed by the app on the phone. (my air conditioner works the same way).

I don't know what the correct IP address at home would be nor how to check. I was relying on the straight plug and play like the air conditioner connection. Device name and DNS no idea but happy to try.

SteveW_52

You home network will be in the 192.168.0.1 ~ 192.168.0.254 range unless you changed it. Where is the server for it? So the device and your phone will be different at home, than at work.. 

You can access the modem GUI at 192.168.0.1  username is admin and P/W is Telstra unless you changed them..

Stevo 52
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

If the light on the front of your modem is blue, it will also not work as it will mean that you are on 4G backup and the modem will be using an IPv6 address to connect to the internet. You would need to get your modem reconnected to the NBN connection in that case.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

@Jupiter   I don't think the OP has an issue with his service or modem at home. The references to the 'green light' are for the indicator on MyQ device I think..

Stevo 52
Jupiter

Yes, but the indicator on the MyQ is indicating that it can't connect to the server. Most people wouldn't notice that their home broadband service has switch to LTE backup mode until some things stop working (usually due to the IPv6/IPv4 compatibility issue), the same problem has been noted with Ring Doorbells and their video feed.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

I agree @Jupiter   but the OP has also been trying the MyQ on two networks, so I expect there is an IP setting difference that is the problem - there is no explanation yet, of how the MyQ has been setup to work on the 'work' network...

I have asked the question already as to where the server is, but no response.

The IPv4/v6 issue is easily fixed...  and if that was the case there would be other issues noted as well I think.

Stevo 52
Tigertheliger

Thank you both for your feedback above. Yes it is just on the device being connected. It goes blue at start up and then flashes green. I do not run a server at home - just NBN distributed. Sorry I missed this response before.

At work at a different physical location there is a server - but a totally different system and set up and the wall connection (cat 5) just gets internet presence but not server access. I can VPN to the server remotely.

It was just interesting it could get on the internet via the work connection.

I will try the modem GUI now....

Tigertheliger

Stevo 52,

One other clarification. I did not set it up at work - I was just able to get the solid green light to come on which to me meant it connected somehow to the internet and maybe back to the MyQ server????

BTW at the GUI interface, where are the settings I need to look at to adjust?

Can confirm "Your home network will be in the 192.168.0.1 ~ 192.168.0.254 range"

SteveW_52

Which make/model of the Telstra Smart Modem 2 do you have (label on the bottom or can be seen in the GUI)?

If you get to the GUI, go to advanced then Network..

Does your handet connect to the same network at home..

What indicators are showing on the modem? Any other issues with the home network?

What is the address for the MyQ server?

Where does the VPN come in? at work, at home?

Stevo 52
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - your MyQ Gateway seems to have trouble getting a connection to the Internet via its LAN port to one of LAN ports of the Telstra Modem which I assume is Internet enabled. Is there a factory reset hole in the MyQ Gateway ? Do all of your modem's LAN ports work for other Ethernet connected devices - in case one or all of the modem's LAN ports have become faulty.

The solid green light indicates that the MyQ Gateway is a registered client of and has an allocated IP address from the Telstra modem and can access the Internet, allowing you to then register the MyQ Gateway in the MyQ Cloud Server through your mobile Phone's MyQ App. Once that is done, you can then use your mobile phone App to control the pairing process between the MyQ Gateway to the Garage Door Controller or Wall Unit.

I suspect the communication between the Garage Door Controller and the Gateway may be a non-WiFi radio frequency, like your traditional garage remote control units with the mobile phone App being used as means of registering the unique pairing information into your MyQ Account.

You mentioned a switch - is it an unmanaged switch or a managed switch with different IP addressing than the modem. Maybe a MyQ factory reset if possible would allow a fresh start.

Tigertheliger

Hi does DJA0230 or Version Egyptian Blue (20.3.c) make sense? Make/ model

Should I be changing the IPv4 or IPv6? Sorry none of this is familiar to me.

I have the handset port but no handset connected.

All other home network items are fine.

I don't know MyQ server address.

The VPN is only to remote connect at work.

Sorry Stevo 52 I don't think I am much help.

Tigertheliger

Hi and thank you for your message. I have tried the factory reset already with no joy as well as restarting the modem. The switch is unmanaged but I have taken it out of the equation by going direct into the router LAN ports and still no joy...

Mkrtich

As the MyQ unit gets a solid green LED on your work network, it implies it is OK but the behaviour seems to indicate a problem with the LAN ports on the modem or the MyQ Ethernet connect cable. Does a PC connected to the LAN ports with the same MyQ cable that came with the unit successfully access the Internet? For testing, the LAN ports are structured in pairs, if ports 1 and 2 don't work, do 3 and 4 work?

SteveW_52

Reading a couple of other posts as well as yours..

The modem model is understood..

PDP should be IPv4IPv6 (both) but would only apply to the 4G Backup service. What colour is the 'Online' indicator?

What is the model number of the MyQ?

With the MyQ unit on your home network, have you tried the MyQ in every modem LAN port?

Have you tried another ethernet cable from the MyQ to the modem?

With the VPN, do you only use that AT work, not at home to access Work?

I don't have a MyQ and can't find a user guide or installion guide - did one come with the unit and are you sure there is no mention of a server address or site name? I would have expected it to be provided..  I guess it is preset for the device and the App?

Stevo 52
Jupiter

2802CEN.qxd (purplepatchdoors.com.au) <- MyQ Gateway manual

SteveW_52

Have you tried a factory reset on the modem?   The reset button is below the power button and needs a paer clip or similar to press it for about 10 sec's 

Stevo 52
Tigertheliger

Yes Stevo 52, I have tried the factory reset. No joy there either. 

SteveW_52

Have you checked any of the other suggestions and answered the questions asked? It is hard to provide remote assistance if you don't provide some details..

Stevo 52
Jupiter

Is the light on the front of the modem blue or green?

If it's blue, it's on the LTE backup. If it's green, it's on the NBN connection.

That will give us a starting point and let us eliminate some of the causes of the problem.

SteveW_52

@Jupiter   the OP has advised  "DJA0230 or Version Egyptian Blue (20.3.c)"

So the 'Online' light would on the top of that model modem, and would be purple colour if in 4G mode..

Those sort of questions are the ones I have asked the OP to actually answer, to help clarify the issue.

Stevo 52
Jupiter

Good point. I missed the model number.

Tigertheliger

No mate all green

Tigertheliger

Hi Guys, not sure what questions i have missed. Sorry i thought the trail shared so if I hit reply to one and it missed everyone, my bad.

Tigertheliger

Hi Stevo 52.

I believe I have answered them all and undertaken all suggestions. Factory resent, switch versus port on modem, different modem ports.

Here is a doozy. Chamberlain shipped me a new device.

I plugged the new device into the modem port and got a solid green light. Great I thought and stupidly instead of the trying to configure with the App, moved the device closer to the garage door and plugged into a LAN connection that goes through the switch. Bliniking green light again. Ok so it must be the switch. Went back to the modem port and green blinking light again and no connection. Did a factory reset and same again.

So I am dumbfounded. Can it be that the new model must go straight into the modem and that's it or a switch connection fries it or something? I would think a hard factory reset would have done just that.

It is extremely frustrating but again i can't help but feel it is something in the modem / router somehow...

Tigertheliger

Do you see my replies to Stevo 52?

Tigertheliger

BTW really appreciated the efforts to date

Mkrtich

Mysterious behaviour. So it seems the modem is OK. When you plugged in the MyQ direct to the modem and got a solid green LED , I assume that meant the MyQ got an IP address and may have done a test to see if it could access the Internet.

After the failed connection through the unmanaged switch, then failed first reconnection to the modem and failed second connection to the modem after MyQ factory reset, does the MyQ actually get allocated an IP address within the modem's GUI screen LAN tile but can't access the Internet? 

If your data patch cable was a crossover type instead of a straight through connection, I would not have expected any damage to the MyQ, just a failed connection, so puzzling that a factory reset to the MyQ didn't allow you to start afresh? What is the brand and model of the unmanaged switch?

SteveW_52

That's odd behaviour.. 

1. Have you reconnected the MyQ to your work network at all, what happened?

2. How long are you leavinf the MyQ device connected to the modem?

3. If you leave the MyQ connected to the modem and then power cycle the modem (not factory reset) what happens?

4. As @Mkrtich suggested, can you check in the Local Network | Devices area of the modem GUI to see if the MyQ device is being assigned an IP address (this might be tricky if the device isn't showing as 'MyQ', but connecting and disconnecting it a few times while whatching the device list might show up - note that the device list might not show in real time, with devices taking a while to update their state. If you need instructions on how to get to the device list, just ask.)?

5. Are there other devices on the managed switch? Are they working OK?

6. I assume you have a cable between the modem and the switch? Can you test that at all? Connect that cable directly to a device (laptop) and see if you can connect, search run a speedtest etc.?

7. Connect the cable to the switch again and connect the same test device to the switch and test again.

Not sure why the MyQ device would connect once and show OK, then not reconnect. There might be a setting in the modem that is causing that, it will need further checking if the problem persists.

Everyone accessing this thread (from you original post) will see all the responses. But for some reason, I was not alerted to your posts of 7 hours ago...

Stevo 52
cf4

When the MyQ is connected to modem or switch does it appear in the list of connected devices on modem's home page? The speed, IPv4 and IPv6 address should also be displayed.

Is the IPv4 address of the MyQ in the same subnet as modem (192.168.0.xx)

Tigertheliger

Hi Mkrtich - none of the ports make it work.

Tigertheliger

Yes very strange indeed. And I took my previous MyQ to work and it went solid green on the LAN ethernet cable connection after about 5 seconds. The green light flashed, flashed faster and went solid. No such jot at home.

The unmanaged switch is a TP Link Tl-SG1016PE.

I agree I see no reason for damage to the MyQ

Tigertheliger

Hi Stevo, my comments in CAPITALS

That's odd behaviour.. 

1. Have you reconnected the MyQ to your work network at all, what happened? YES THE LIGHT FLASHED, FLASHED FASTER AND WENT SOLID. BUT THE WORK NETWORK IS NOWHERE NEAR MY HOME NETWORK (PHYSICALLY) BY THE UNIT COULD GET ACCESS TO SOMETHING

2. How long are you leavinf the MyQ device connected to the modem? OVERNIGHT

3. If you leave the MyQ connected to the modem and then power cycle the modem (not factory reset) what happens? NO DIFFERENCE. HAVE TRIED.

4. As @Mkrtich suggested, can you check in the Local Network | Devices area of the modem GUI to see if the MyQ device is being assigned an IP address (this might be tricky if the device isn't showing as 'MyQ', but connecting and disconnecting it a few times while whatching the device list might show up - note that the device list might not show in real time, with devices taking a while to update their state. If you need instructions on how to get to the device list, just ask.)? I CAN SEE THE DEVICE LIST BUT NOT IDENTIFY IF IT IS ON THERE ON NOT. MY NEXT ACTION WILL BE TO TRY THIS WITH MONITORING FROM MY LAPTOP

5. Are there other devices on the managed switch? Are they working OK? YES. ALTHOUGH MY COMNAV WASN'T ABLE TO CONNECT TO THE APP. AIR CON WORKS FINE AND A SIMILAR SET UP

6. I assume you have a cable between the modem and the switch? Can you test that at all? Connect that cable directly to a device (laptop) and see if you can connect, search run a speedtest etc.? CORRECT THE SUPPLIED ONE. BOTH MYQ'S DO THE SAME THING THOUGH SO DOUBT THE CABLE

7. Connect the cable to the switch again and connect the same test device to the switch and test again. OK

Not sure why the MyQ device would connect once and show OK, then not reconnect. There might be a setting in the modem that is causing that, it will need further checking if the problem persists. THAT IS MY SUSPICION OR CAN DEVICES COMPETE FOR AN ADDRESS

Everyone accessing this thread (from you original post) will see all the responses. But for some reason, I was not alerted to your posts of 7 hours ago... OK NO WORRIES

cf4

The blinking green light on the MyQ gateway indicates it is connected to modem and has a valid local IP address from modem but it can't access the internet. This might be due to Telstra Broadband protect blocking the internet site the MyQ gateway uses. To by pass broadband protect you could try changing both the modem's IPv4 and IPv6 DNS (Advanced > Local Network). After saving the changes disconnect the MyQ gateway and then reconnect the MyQ gateway.

Tigertheliger

OK thank you. When you say change both the modem's IPv4 and IPv6 DNS, what am I changing them from and to?

cf4

There is a drop down list. Default for Ipv4 is Telstra for DNS 1 and blank for DNS 2. IPv6 DNS by default are both blank. When blank or set to Telstra the modem uses the DNS displayed in the modem's internet settings which are allocated to the modem by the central server. Selecting an DNS from drop down list will overide these DNS servers.  You could try Google for both IPv4 and IPv6. 

Tigertheliger

Diagnostics help
xDSL
Ping & Traceroute
Connection
Network
Log viewer
Ports State
Type supported

Connected

(100 Mbps)

Connected

(10 Mbps)

Connected

(100 Mbps)

Connected

(1000 Mbps)

Connected

(1000 Mbps)

Network Statistics
Interface Rx Bytes Tx Bytes Rx Packets Tx Packets Rx Errors Tx Errors
Port 1 11020130 87779056 54233 541998 0 0
Port 2 5664 267459 77 1916 0 0
Port 3 23339845 6911801240 270531 4809434 0 0
Port 4 90165 270005 710 1958 0 0
Port 5 12498800756 2269067683 9899948 3954628 0 0
WiFi-2.4Ghz 2074364922 2748081579 2748095 3965815 70 79432
WiFi-5Ghz 120551247 284188413 284391 923305 1 5039

So this is the best cut and paste I could do from the diagnostics tab. It shows a 10MBPS connection existing but still won't go solid green. I checked by pulling the cable out of the modem and the port goes to empty. So the modem sees it there. I tried the DNS for IPv4 and IPv6 with Google on all (except Telstra for the IPv4 DNS1)

cf4

You need to change all the DNS settings to google. If you leave the first IPv4 DNS on Telstra the modem by default will try the Telstra DNS first.

Tigertheliger

Thank you for the clarification there. When I tried to save other than Telstra it didn't go through as saved - but let me try again!

Mkrtich

Hi - hope you are getting closer to solving this mystery. Would you clarify which version and model number of the MyQ you have? You have called it a Merlin MyQ Wireless Garage Door Opener made by Chamberlain - does it actually also have an ability to connect to the modem with a 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi option like this one or is it only via Ethernet? Further - if so, are you using Ethernet via the TP Link Switch because Wi-Fi does not reach the Garage area.

https://support.chamberlaingroup.com/s/article/Recommended-router-settings-for-the-MyQ-Wi-Fi-product... 

In this guide, Chamberlain suggest you allow Port 8883 to be open for Inbound and Outbound connections to the remote MyQ Server. Maybe that also applies with a LAN cable connection?

I would have thought UPnP may have taken care of that and I have never seen a 10 Mbps link on a port when an Ethernet device is connected with a patch lead to a modem or router - the last time I saw that was with coax cabling IBM Ethernet in the 1980s . The low end devices usually have a 10/100 LAN adapter and link at a nominal 100 Mbps and would fall back to 10 Mbps if the distance between the devices was excessive i.e. in the over 50-100 metre range or the quality of cable suspect. Maybe Chamberlain have put in a very low end Adapter maxing out at 10 Mbps?

Tigertheliger

Hi I had no luck with this approach and my poor configuration skills ended up crashing the Internet system at home. I had to get it reset with help from Telstra (took over an hour). I have had discussion with a technician at Chamberlain and it looks like the 10MB rate could be the problem for autodetection of the unit. Then for whatever reason, I tried it in Port 1 on the Telstra Smart Gateway last night and it got online and configured. Still not sure why but going to keep discussing with Chamberlain to try and find ongoing resolution. Thanks for your help again! Cheers  

Tigertheliger

Hi I had no luck with this approach and my poor configuration skills ended up crashing the Internet system at home. I had to get it reset with help from Telstra (took over an hour). I have had discussion with a technician at Chamberlain and it looks like the 10MB rate could be the problem for autodetection of the unit. Then for whatever reason, I tried it in Port 1 on the Telstra Smart Gateway last night and it got online and configured. Still not sure why but going to keep discussing with Chamberlain to try and find ongoing resolution. Thanks for your help again! Cheers  

Mkrtich

Thanks for updating us all on this very mysterious chain of events. Sometimes firmware updates cause unexpected havoc for users. I hope it stays connected. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more