Bikenski
Level 2: Rookie

Connecting Nighhawk M5 to existing Telstra Gateway Max

Answered

I've just purchased a Netgear Nighthawk M5 Mobile Router. When using it at home, I need to connect it to several ethernet-connected devices. I also have a (fast, reliable, cheapish) cable internet connection which will soon be made obsolete because of the nbn :-( .

The cable internet uses a Netgear Telstra Gateway Max modem /WiFi router (model C6300BD-1TLAUS). I have 3 ethernet cables plugged into this for printers, etc.

Can I utilise the Gateway Max as a router for the Nighthawk M5 once the old fibre cable is disconnected?

If so, what configuration changes are required, if any, to the Gateway Max. Do I just plug the M5 into the red WAN ethernet port on the Gateway Max?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting Nighhawk M5 to existing Telstra Gateway Max

Hi - you should be able to re-use the CG6300 as a network switch connecting the M5 LAN Port to the CG6300 LAN Port but there are some preparatory steps to undertake. I did this with my Arcadyan Modem last week for an experiment. It's quite an underrated robust modem - worthy credentials in WiFi as well. 

Unfortunately with the CG6300, when you activate Bridge Mode or WAN BackUp which usually Disables the Coax WAN and swaps it over to the WAN port, the Ethernet WAN port remains Disabled - courtesy of custom Telstra firmware. It is still a good idea to set the modem up with WAN BackUp - WAN Enabled,  otherwise you will get an annoying flashing green LED on the WAN LED when the modem is converted to be an Access Point. Using an Ethernet connected PC for programming set up.

1. Firstly ensure IP addressing is different between the two modems e.g. if M5 is 192.168.1.1, make or leave CG6300 on 192.168.0.1 to allow you to access the CG6300 later on if required - these are default schemes.

2. If you are using the CG6300 near to the M5, you need to make a choice as to which Wi-Fi Network to use or if they are distanced apart you may wish to make the WiFi SSIDs and passwords the same. 

3. Disable DHCP Server in CG6300 - modem will reboot. I think from memory I did not Enable Bridge Mode, leaving NAT ON as NAT is not used as the WAN port is disabled.

4. Go into PC Adapter settings and change the IP assignment from being Automatic to be manually assigned.

Use something like 192.168.0.10 for PC IP, 255:255:255:0 for Netmask and 192.168.0.1 for Gateway, Apply and Reboot the PC. 

5. Log into CG6300 192.168.0.1 and Enable WAN Backup to get rid of flashing WAN LED and Save. Modem Reboots.  

6. Connect LAN to LAN cable and you should have Internet leaving you with 3 LAN ports for use. 

7. You only need to manually assign 192.168.0.10 to your PC if you want to change a setting in that modem sometime in the future. Return the PC to auto IP assignment from the M5 DHCP server for normal operation and Reboot the PC. 

Not sure which Hotspot had an issue with its LAN port last week on Crowd Support - it may have been ZTE and not Netgear. In the former case, insertion of cable into the LAN of the Hotspot restarted the Hotspot - a firmware bug. Hoping all works for you on the M5.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The cable gateway can be used as a router connected to Nighthawk M5 via its red WAN port. The only setting required is to enable the WAN port. To enable WAN port.

Connect PC to LAN port of Netgear C6300D and log in to C6300BD ( http://192.168.0.1 )
Password is password
Go to the 'WAN Setup'
Then a drop down menu will come down and one option is 'WAN backup
Once you click that the screen will give you an option to 'Enable - Wan Mode'
Select that option.
Router will reboot

Note you will have two separate networks using C6300BD as router. To have one network should configure C6300BD as switch which is more complicated..

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Hi - you should be able to re-use the CG6300 as a network switch connecting the M5 LAN Port to the CG6300 LAN Port but there are some preparatory steps to undertake. I did this with my Arcadyan Modem last week for an experiment. It's quite an underrated robust modem - worthy credentials in WiFi as well. 

Unfortunately with the CG6300, when you activate Bridge Mode or WAN BackUp which usually Disables the Coax WAN and swaps it over to the WAN port, the Ethernet WAN port remains Disabled - courtesy of custom Telstra firmware. It is still a good idea to set the modem up with WAN BackUp - WAN Enabled,  otherwise you will get an annoying flashing green LED on the WAN LED when the modem is converted to be an Access Point. Using an Ethernet connected PC for programming set up.

1. Firstly ensure IP addressing is different between the two modems e.g. if M5 is 192.168.1.1, make or leave CG6300 on 192.168.0.1 to allow you to access the CG6300 later on if required - these are default schemes.

2. If you are using the CG6300 near to the M5, you need to make a choice as to which Wi-Fi Network to use or if they are distanced apart you may wish to make the WiFi SSIDs and passwords the same. 

3. Disable DHCP Server in CG6300 - modem will reboot. I think from memory I did not Enable Bridge Mode, leaving NAT ON as NAT is not used as the WAN port is disabled.

4. Go into PC Adapter settings and change the IP assignment from being Automatic to be manually assigned.

Use something like 192.168.0.10 for PC IP, 255:255:255:0 for Netmask and 192.168.0.1 for Gateway, Apply and Reboot the PC. 

5. Log into CG6300 192.168.0.1 and Enable WAN Backup to get rid of flashing WAN LED and Save. Modem Reboots.  

6. Connect LAN to LAN cable and you should have Internet leaving you with 3 LAN ports for use. 

7. You only need to manually assign 192.168.0.10 to your PC if you want to change a setting in that modem sometime in the future. Return the PC to auto IP assignment from the M5 DHCP server for normal operation and Reboot the PC. 

Not sure which Hotspot had an issue with its LAN port last week on Crowd Support - it may have been ZTE and not Netgear. In the former case, insertion of cable into the LAN of the Hotspot restarted the Hotspot - a firmware bug. Hoping all works for you on the M5.

View solution in original post

Mkrtich

@cf4 - apologies, I didn't see your post as I was typing my reply. I am not sure if it was the Arcadyan blocking the WAN or not, but I also couldn't get the WAN to work through a Huawei 4G modem. Surprisingly, last year I had the WAN working on one of my CG6300s when connected to the Arris HFC modem. I was gifted the second one last week by a friend who upgraded to NBN so had a fresh attempt to experiment again as last year's attempt to get the WAN port to work failed. 

The firmware on both of my CG6300s is Software Version 5510_V10415 with Software Version Linux 2.6.30.V1.04.15. Last week, I  came across an old Crowd Support post where early versions of the CG6300 may have the WAN Back Up Enabled in firmware - perhaps later versions had that function locked down? Let me know if I have missed something obvious and if my reply needs an Edit. Cheers.    

Bikenski

Thank you. This option worked.

I attempted cf4's suggestion first with no success. Because I had already Enabled WAN Backup when trying cf4's suggestion, I was able to skip your point 5.

Thanks once again for your expert assistance.

Bikenski

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, this did not work for me. However, Mkrtich's did and I appear to be up and running with my new mobile broadband.

Mkrtich

Following consultations with @cf4 , I have come to the conclusion that the primary modem's Firewall must determine the outcome of either configuration LAN--WAN (separate subnet +DHCP ON)  or LAN--LAN (separate subnet to allow future GUI access + DHCP OFF). In the case of the Arcdayan LH:10000, its Firewall has been known to cause unexpected issues even between wireless and wired LAN devices, so I have incorrectly associated the problem to be with the CG6300, when indeed it is with the LH:1000. So both methods will work subject to how the primary modem's firewall treats the attempted connection. 

I am typing this post connected on a PC connected to a CG6300 which has its WAN port linked to a Technicolor DJA0231 LAN port on a HFC NBN service. All works fine. Why the LAN--WAN connection didn't work with the Nighthawk M5 remains a mystery. The takeout from this post is that there are two ways to link modems and if one method doesn't work, try the other. The advantage of a LAN-WAN link is that you will have 4 available LAN ports for use instead of 3 LAN ports with a LAN--LAN link. Thanks for the tip cf4. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more