Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

connecting printer to TG587n V3

Answered

Hi, im new to this so i apologise.

I have a canno pixma MG2260 printer that i would like to connect somehow to my modem and be able to print from 2 different laptops and a desktop computer (if possible) my modem is a TG587n V3

how do i go abut doing this? the printer has a usb cable only and im running vista and 1 laptops running windows 7

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: connecting printer to TG587n V3

@jas98 wrote:

I have a canno pixma MG2260 printer that i would like to connect somehow to my modem and be able to print from 2 different laptops and a desktop computer (if possible) my modem is a TG587n V3

how do i go abut doing this? the printer has a usb cable only and im running vista and 1 laptops running windows 7

thanks

jas98,

here are some instructions that will assist you with the set up of the your printer on the TG587nV3.

BigPond FAQ for printer set up

Regards

Chi

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@jas98 wrote:

thanks

jas98,

here are some instructions that will assist you with the set up of the your printer on the TG587nV3.

BigPond FAQ for printer set up

Regards

Chi

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

THANKS, worked perfectly. Do you know if its the same to do this on a older TG587n? the white modems?

cheers

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The TG582n gateway - ADSL Standard HNG supplied previously does have the same capabilities.

Regards,

Chi

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi guys.

Great to see  the support for the TG587n V3

I have just received mine and it works really well except for the printer setup.

I have read and carefully followed the 10 steps in the printer installation guide given by Chi. (thanks)

I have a HP CP1215 which is connected to the 587 by a USB cable. I know that the printer works perfectly as a direct USB connect to a computer.

However despite having had it work ONCE, it has since continually refused to print. When I hover over the newly installed printer icon, I continually find an offline printer with a queue of print jobs to be done.

I have repeated the process many times on 2 different computers on the network.....always with the same result.

It looks to me as if the 587 may be detecting the USB printer, but the network cannot see it through the 587. Clearly with the USB printer connection, the printer does not have a TCPIP address.

Is anyone able to help me with some faultfinding techniques that may allow me to determine the problem. I have read on some English sites that the 587 does not have a print server capability. Clearly by the above setup guide it can be a print server. Also by my getting it to print documents ONCE only, indicates that it can be done.

The mystery to me is why the printer continually reports OFFLINE.

Help anybody please!

Thanks

Highlighted

hmmm seems im haveing same problem now aswell...it worked fine the first time now its saying offline etc....how do i fix this?????

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

All,

I have just seen the update on this thread.  I will see if I can find a USB printer to replicate the issue you are outlining.

I am less familiar with the Canon printer, but the newer Printers from memory have a 'Power Saving' mode, which may be turning USB functionality.  

Are you able to advise if the Canon has such feature and is activated by default?

Chi

Highlighted

Hi, thanks.

Not that im aware of it worked fine the first time i set it up but now wont

so if the printer turns off but i turn it back on, this will effect the modem's connectiveity?

cheers

Highlighted

anyone have a solution?

Highlighted

Yeah, im having exactly the same issue with mine.  Dont know why this thread is listed as "Solved"?!  Who has a solution?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The instructions provided by Chi resolved the initial issue experienced by the originator of this thread. Hence why it was marked as solved.

Can you check to see if there are any firmware or software updates for your printer?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Hi

I am trying to do this too but can no longer access the help page, can you help?

Thanks

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi PolarGoatMoose,

It looks like that FAQ no longer exists so I have asked for a new one to be created to answer this. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

In the interim, it should be pretty straight forward. Make sure that you install the printer drivers on any computers and download any compatible app for the printer on any Smart  Phone or tablet. 

Connect your printer to the modem via LAN cable or WiFi and this should then allow you to print from those devices.

If this is a newer printer, you shouldn't have any further compatibility issues but older printers may have limitations, so if you have further difficulties the next step is to refer to the user guide from the manufacturer.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I've managed to dig up the original article (that was linked to above) and am posting it here.  Please be aware that it is quite dated now, but you can still use it as a guide.  

The print sharing feature is not supported by our free Technical Support services. For further help you can contact our Telstra Platinum service are a great solution to help you set up your network and answer any of those tricky situations you may come up against.

---

How do I set up multiple computers to share a printer using the Thomson TG782T, Technicolor TG587n or TG582n Home Network Gateway Home Network Gateway?

The Technicolour Home Network gateways allow you to share your printer with multiple computers. This means you can print documents from any computer connected in the home to a single printer (The gateway supports most common printers.)

printsharing-top.jpg

To do this, you will need to perform the following steps on each computer. Note: All the computers need to be connected to the gateway.

Step 1 of 10
You will need to first install the printer drivers on the computer if you have not done so already. Follow the following instructions to install the driver:

• Plug in the printer to the computer directly.
  • Follow the instructions to install the printer driver on the computer. The printer driver software should have been provided by your printer manufacturer.

Step 2 of 10
Plug in the printer into the USB port on the side of the Thomson gateway. Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Printers.

printer1-stp2.jpg

Step 3 of 10
Click on Add a printer

printer2-stp3.jpg

Step 4 of 10

Select Add a local printer and click Next.

Step 5 of 10
Select Create a new port and choose Standard TCP/IP Port from the drop down menu.

printer3-stp5.jpg

Step 6 of 10
Type in 192.168.1.253 in the Hostname or IP address field. Click Next. It will try and detect the TCP/IP port but will not be able to find it and prompt for more information.

printer4-stp6.jpg

Step 7 of 10
Select Custom and click on the Settings button.

printer5-stp7.jpg

Step 8 of 10
Select LPR and type in TG782 printer in the Queue Name field. It will then search for the printer driver.

printer6-stp8.jpg

Step 9 of 10
Select your printer manufacturer and model. Click Next.

printer7-stp10.jpg

Step 10 of 10
Type in a printer name and click Next. This should complete the installation process. You should now be able to print using the shared printer.

If you would like to enable another computer to print to the shared printer, repeat the above steps with the other computer.

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi

Will this process work with the TG799 modem as well? I just upgraded from the TG587 which printed great but unfortunately has limited wifi range compared to the TG799 (Gateway Max). There is absolutely no support anyway on how to connect printers to the TG799 - frustrating!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Snoop2, 

Both modems are from the same family so I would guess it is similar, especially if you are connecting the Printer to one of the modem's the USB ports.  A lot of this depends on the type of printer you are using and the instructions from the printers manufacture.

The print sharing feature is not supported by our free Technical Support services. For further help you can contact our Telstra Platinum Team.  They are able to help you set up your network and answer any of those tricky situations you may come up against.

- Ben 

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi Ben
Thanks for your reply. If they are from the same family then you would expect it would be a fairly simple exercise to follow the steps published above for the TG587! Sadly not so. I read on another forum that changes via Telnet are required to Gateway Max firmware to support printing capability.
I specifically asked if there were any issues connecting my printer to the Gateway Max when I ordered it from the Telstra T Store and was told it should be the same as the TG587. Clearly it isn't hence my expectation that Telstra would provide technical support (at no cost to me) to install it so it works as per advice on sale
thanks
Highlighted

Hi Guys,

Don't waste your time on TG799 T-Gateway Max Printer setup.

Telstra blocked the USB printer functionality on the modem as well as Telnet function on the modem.

I called UK support for the Technicolor supposebly UK customers using the USB function but telstra disabled LPD function on the Firmware thats why you can't use it.

If telstra would have enabled telnet function to manage modem, we could have login to modem and enable the LPD function for usb printing service but again it has been disabled.

So simply it is a firmware related issue due to the Telsta has blocked these functions.

Regards,

GOKHAN

Highlighted

Help,  IHave the same problem as jas98. My printeralso reads offline

Highlighted

Hi there,

our home network was running fine until recently.

All pc's printed to our Lexmark E250d printer that was connected to the side USB port of our TG587n modem router.

Then recently they all stopped being able to print.

They all get error messages when trying to print.

Suspecting that maybe it was a printer issue, I connected the printer directly to a PC via its USB port. It printed fine.

I then tried resetting the modem. But still now luck.

I then tried resetting the printer to its factory defaults. And still no luck.

I always get the message that there is an error with the print queue and that the printer needs trouble shooting.

I tried your suggested 10 steps to set up the printer many times, on more than one PC, but with no luck.

When I accessed the modem via Internet Explorer (typing the network address 10.0.0.138) I could see that the Lexmark printer was connected to the USB port. But it did not show an IP address associated with it.

I have tried telnetting to the modem, but get connection failed messages all the time. I have opened port 23 on my firewall, but still unable to telnet to the modem. Is the modem blocked to telnetting?

Has a problem recently occurred with the USB port of the modem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

frank1960

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jas98 and Frank1960,

I've done a bit of digging regarding this particular problem you guys are experiencing.  Most printers now days make use of Ethernet or WiFi to network with the modem rather than USB. With this in mind and the lack of demand for USB printer sharing, this feature has been withdrawn so we can progress the firmware. Hope this clears things up.

There are still ways to share your printer via USB through your operating system. This should get you started;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/share-printer#1TC=windows-7

Nick

Highlighted

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for your efforts and advice.

But what still confuses me is that everything was working fine for a long time, with all the connected PC's, bot ethernet and wifi connected. The printer worked well. Then all of a sudden it stopped for every PC.

I did not do any firmware upgrade on the modem. I only tried resetting it at one stage. But no firmware changes.

So how did the firmware all of a sudden change?

Best regards,

Frank

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Frank,

If this is a modem firmware upgrade that has been completed then these are normally pushed through automatically to the device when connected to the internet. You don't have to request them, as they will just be completed automatically. I do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused. 

Highlighted

Hi,

Since the printer can no longer be connected to the modem via USB, can you what set up is required using an Ethernet cable.

I require mac instructions if able. The previous instructions are not working.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: connecting printer to TG799 modem

What a piece of crap I tried every posible solution to get it to print, There are pages of complaints on this .

put my old modem back on all 5 pc find printer and print so is there a firmware update to fix this ??????

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more