Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Connecting router to smart modem

Hi all,

I want to connect a Netgear R6020 router as a booster to my Smart modem via ethernet. The smart modem is in one part of the house and reception is patchy in others. In order to get internet to my smart TV I have run ethernet from the LAN port on the smart modem. My intention is to use that ethernet cable to connect smart modem to R6020 router and to run wireless capability from both smart modem and R6020 and then connect TV to the R6020 via ethernet. This setup should give me wireless to all parts of the house.

Questions:

Which port do I connect to on smart modem (Red WAN or one of the yellow LAN ports)? R6020 has blue WAN so I'm guessing blue to red but....?

Do I need to change any settings on the smart modem to enable/recognize  the R6020?

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Connecting router to smart modem

If you are leaving the Smart Modem in service, then the Netgear WAN port would be connected to a Yellow LAN port on the SM2.

The Netgear should work OK, but there may be some clashes with Wi-Fi networks and IP addressing - it might be a simple fix, but it depends on how the Netgear is set up.

Do you have a home phone and 4G backup as part of your service from Telstra?

If you are just extending Wi-Fi, with no special requirements, then one solution might be a Telstra Smart Wi-Fi booster (these aren't really a 'booster', just a Wi-Fi Access Point [AP] ) instead of the Netgear - these work pretty seamlessly with the Smart modems and don't need any configuration, they are assimilated into the SM2 network. There are some deals from Telstra on the Wi-Fi guarantee promotion - free SM2 and free additional Booster

If the Netgear is preferred, then there are options - just setting it up as an AP being one of those.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Thanks Stevo.

Home phone yes but never connected. Backup maybe but I don't use it. I can reconfigure IPs if needed especially at the netgear end, I prefer to leave the telstra side untouched if possible.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

The beauty of the 4G backup is that it is there if you ever need when the main internet service is down for any reason, not something you need to activate otherwise, but I do recommend trying it once a month or so to prove it is working.

The Netgear will pick up an IP from the  SM2, so you might just need to turn the DHCP off on the Netgear and make some change to the Netgear Wi-Fi, i.e. set it up as an AP.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Should not need to make any changes on Telstra modem. Set up Netgear as access point as per link below.

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode-after-setting-it-up

The only setting you might want to change in Telstra modem is to assign a static lease to Netgear modem (Advanced > local network > static leases).

On netgear should change WiFi SSID and password to match that of Telstra modem.

Highlighted

Thanks cf4 will give it a go.

Highlighted

@Jousting 

One thing the AP instructions fail to mention is that if you choose a static address it has to be within the address range of the main modem/router (192.168.0.xx) and must not be the same as the main modem/router or any device connected to main modem/router. Although the AP instructions recommends a static address unless you are confident in checking that an IP address is in use already recommend you use dynamic setting. If you do use a static address you can check the LAN IP address of all devices connected to Telstra modem by logging into modem and going to either Advanced > Devices (Technicolor) or Go to Advanced > Local Network > Devices (Arcadyan).

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more