draego
Level 3: Gumshoe

Connecting Telstra Smart Modem directly to NTD.

Answered

My Gen2 Telstra Smart Modem has been on back up connection since a power outage (storm). No WAN/DSL light on back of modem. All other lights Green. Steps taken: Rebooted Modem /  Reset Modem /  Ethernet Cables replaced.    NTD data port is not showing green or orange lights. When I connect the modem directly to the NTD ethernet cable I still get no WAN/DSL connection light on the modem. Data light on NTD board is not on. Network light and others are green. Does this indicate that I am not getting a data connection to my house ? TIA for any advice.

Jas
Old ex govt IT
They used to call me .... Now I need the help !!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting Telstra Smart Modem directly to NTD.

OK, no lights with a direct connection NTD Link 1 to Modem, that is an NBN fault I think.

Try connecting the modem to link 2, just in case that is how it is provisioned..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
SteveW_52

The NTD should be connected from NTD to WAN port..  no indicators means that NBN internet is not present.

So yes, there is a fault and your modem has switched to 4G Backup to give you at least some connectivity.. 

The NBN Internet may come back by itself..  check outages https://outages.telstra.com/#/ to see if it is something affecting your location. If there is nothing there, then contact Telstra to advise them of the problem - use the My Telstra app, Get Help and then click on the blue message icon to start a chat with them - be warned (if you haven't been there before) it can take a lot of time and patience to deal with the Codi Consultants...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

If you have a FTTC NBN connection it is likely that the NTD box or the DPU unit in the street is faulty. This is a common fault on FTTC type connections after a thunderstorm.

draego

Thx Stevo - been on the phone with them already - they want me to pay for a sparky to come out & check internal data cabling.  I figure if I can't get a connection from the the Ethernet cable in the NTD - its not my wiring ?

Jas
Old ex govt IT
draego

Thanks CF - I have FTTP in a Telstra Smart Community on a Velocity Plan.

Jas
Old ex govt IT
SteveW_52

If you are able to, plug an ethernet cable in to the NTD port and then into a PC/laptop then see if you can browse the internet..  I suspect you won't be able to, but if you try it and prove it isn't working, then the NBN service is not working, so it is an NBN issue that Telstra have to manage.

What cabling and outlets do you have in the premises?

What I would expect that the NBN internet comes into the NTD, then there is a cable from the NTD to the modem WAN port..  is there any other cable associated with the NBN Internet service itself? 

Stevo 52
draego

Cheers Stevo

There is a dumb (not powered) network hub in the garage that connects the ethernet from the NTD to cabling connecting the port the loungeroom.  Original owner probably put that in for scalability & additional ports in the house down the track.

It surprises me the help desk always suggest its internal cabling..... In my experience its very rare for CAT5 or 6 to just fail, usually it has to be badly twisted or under some sort of other physical load.

Nothing else was failed & safety switch was not triggered, power dropped for about 1-2 seconds.

Re Test NTD straight into Laptop - I will need to connect the Modem to the loungeroom port via one of the network port (yellow)  won't I as the WAN/DSL port (red) won't act as a network port ?

Jas
Old ex govt IT
SteveW_52

Are you able to do a quick sketch of how the NTD, modem, switch and then devices connect? Can you provide the make model of the hub/switch please. Photos might help to understand how it is set up..

Try to prove it, by bypassing the cabling and (unpowered? do you mean unmanaged?) hub/switch and connect straight from the NTD to a laptop or to the modem and see if that gets things working.. for the modem, at this stage you only need to connect the NTD to the WAN (red port)  if you are trying to connect via a LAN port, that could be part of the issue. You use a LAN port to connect devices but the NTD MUST connect to the WAN port.

With cabling arrangements it is always best to break it down to a simple arrangement with the fewest components as possible before routing things through unknown facility (in-wall) cabling and switches/hubs.. 

A non-powered hub is probably not the best thing for you to use (if that is what it really is), it should at least be a quality, powered, unmanaged Gigabit switch doing the distribution to other outlets..

In what you have described, there could well be a cable issue..  what you should do is go nbn comnnection to NTD (direct), then from NTD to modem WAN ort, then fro LAN ports to the garage/switch for distribution..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Something like this..

Stevo 52
draego

The dumb Switch/Hub (Not Powered) is between the NTD and the modem mate 

NBN (FTTP) > NTD > Hub (Garage) > Port (Lounge) > Telstra Gen2 Smart Modem > Devices & WiFi.

Jas
Old ex govt IT
draego

"Try to prove it, by bypassing the cabling and (unpowered? do you mean unmanaged?) hub/switch and connect straight from the NTD to a laptop or to the modem and see if that gets things working.. for the modem, at this stage you only need to connect the NTD to the WAN (red port)  if you are trying to connect via a LAN port, that could be part of the issue. You use a LAN port to connect devices but the NTD MUST connect to the WAN port."

Did this - Modem WAN connected directly to NTD Ethernet Cable > did not detect WAN/DSL connection .

Jas
Old ex govt IT
draego

NTDHUB

Jas
Old ex govt IT
cf4

Have you tried connecting modem's WAN port using a Ethernet patch cable directly to the top port on the NTD labeled Link 1 Modem?

draego

no WAN/DSL connection lights on Modem or Lights on NTD Line 1.

Appreciate you help.

Jas
Old ex govt IT
SteveW_52

What you refer to as a HUB is actually a patch panel. Each port on that panel will go to an outlet on the wall - simple point to point connections.

It is made more confusing by the telephone cabling also being connected.

As @cf4 suggests, most importantly connect a cable between that Link 1 port and the modem red WAN port..  relocate the modem temporarily if you can..  that should show activity on the on the ports and the modem should come up to a steady green indicator, showing you have internet.

Then, where the cable is plugged in to the Link port..  trace out where the cable goes to if you can, I suspect it will go the the patch panel port marked Data in on the cable termination side..  the blue patch cable on the connector side then goes to the Lounge 1 port, the other end of which is an wall plate connection in the lounge I guess, There is also a second connection to the Lounge - are both those lounge connections on the same wall plate? or are there two seperate outlets? Once you have checked the modem to Link 1 connection is working and the modem light goes green as it should, relocate the modem and try connecting modem red WAN port to the outlet in lounge - you may have to swap the cable in Lounge 1 to Lounge 2 unless you are sure that labelling is correct, which I wouldn't be confident of.

Facility (wall) cabling can be damaged - screws/nails/rats etc.. so if the modem works in the garage, but not in the lounge, that is what has happened. Did an NBN tech attend your premises at all? and did you opt for Self Installation?

Stevo 52
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

OK, no lights with a direct connection NTD Link 1 to Modem, that is an NBN fault I think.

Try connecting the modem to link 2, just in case that is how it is provisioned..

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

draego

Cheers Steve.    Will retry with the 'help' desk.

Jas
Old ex govt IT
draego

did try that - same result.

Jas
Old ex govt IT

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more