Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

COnnection limit on Gen 2 LH1000 Arcadyan Modem

Ive been told by Telstra that they have placed an 8 device connection limit on these new smart modems.  Do you know if this is correct?  It certainly appears to be the case based on my usage of the device because it runs like an absolute dog once I start connecting more than a couple of devices to it.  Unfortunately the limit also includes wifi extenders and routers that you use within your network.  I cant fathom how telstra can believe that any modern household would only connect less than 8 devices to a home network.  

Any advice on this would be appreciated because after countless calls to customer support we are no closer to having a home internet connection that we can utilise.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: COnnection limit on Gen 2 LH1000 Arcadyan Modem

There is definitely not a 8 device limit on the number of connected devices. There is a limit of 10 port forwarding and 10 LAN static leases. The limit off how many device you can connect without effect the internet performance depends on the speed of the link and what you are trying to do. For example if the link that only has a download speed of 8 Mbps then only one device would be able to stream HD video at a time. You could have many more devices connected but providing only one devices is streaming video there will be no problems. If the link had a speed of 16 Mbps you could stream FHD video on two devices.

Have you done a speed test at a site such as .https://www.speedtest.net/ to check the speed of the link

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks,  Yes speedtest comes back with 24D 6U.  So although a bit less than what we pay for it is more than enough to handle our traffic.  The problem Ive faced is being able to connect more than 8 or 9 devices to the router.  For example if we have 8 wifi devices connected and then I connect a PC via ethernet cable Im unable to receive any connection via the ethernet cable.  I dont obtain a connection via the ethernet port until I either disconnect a couple of Wifi devices or alternatively turn off the Wifi radio on the router.  This same issue occurs when trying to connect wifi devices.

Im absolutely stumped as to why this is happening.  One idea Ive been considering is that  the router has been unable to draw sufficient power from the power outlet its plugged into.  The particular outlet exists on an electrical circuit thats currently carrying all of our households highly intensive electrical devices.  When I reduce the load on that circuit the routers radio signal seems to improve.  Nevertheless I never thought that a residential modem could possibly consume any noticeable level of energy (as compared to bigger and thirstier household whitegoods) so Ive written this off as a circumstantial event as I cant see any evidence to correlate the router performance to available current.  I assume this would be a fair assessment?  Or was this actually the potential cause of our problems?

Highlighted

I don't think the problem is due to lack of power to the modem. The modem only draws about 10.6 Watts (0.0106Kw) with no USB drive and 12.6 Watts (0.0126 Kw) with a hard drive attached to USB port. The extra power drain caused by extra devices connected to WiFi or LAN ports is insignificant.

There was problems with modems that had a early version of the firmware causing problems with connected devices. What version is the firmware in your modem? Current version is 0.10.05r. Firmware version is displayed on left hand side of modem's log in page.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

Hi - would you describe your network topology in more detail - you mentioned these, but are you using a Wi-Fi Extender and another Router in your network? Are your Wi-Fi devices concurrently connected to the Internet i.e. simultaneously at the same time and in use, or you just have 8 devices programmed into the modem capable of connecting to the Internet and maybe a few in use at the same time.   

The LAN ports on the modem are connected to their surface mounted isolation transformers in pairs, L1+ L2 and L3+L4 - if you are using L1or L2, do you get the same result if you use L3 or L4. The WAN port has its own isolation transformer. My son's Arcadyan had to be replaced as the WAN port and all LAN ports were faulty and the only Internet access he had was through the 4G LTE Back Up WAN.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more