AnthonyJA
Level 2: Rookie

Conten Sharing / DLNA on DJA0231

Hi everyone.

I have a Seagate 2TB drive attached to the Gen2 Smart Modem via USB 3. On the home page of the modem settings, I can see the device is recognised as a connected USB

device:

But when I try to enable it in Content Sharing, it says there are no drives attached:

Drive is NTFS formatted.

Content Sharing and DLNA are enabled. I've also enabled SMB 1.0 in windows 10 as well.

I've been finding mixed responses across this forum about the supported capacity of this modem.

Some say 2 TB, some say 3TB (both those responses came from the same moderator, which is frankly baffling). I even saw one post say there are known issues with this device for partitions over 1TB? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I'd really like to not have to reformat it and transfer everything all over again, if I can at all help it.

Thanks for tuning in!

AJA

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Conten Sharing / DLNA on DJA0231

The Modem according to online help supports attached drives up to 2 TB. The modem also supports NTFS formatted drives. I have successfully attached a 8 TB NTFS formatted drive.

"DLNA Specifications

To use the DLNA feature, make sure you have the following:

A device that’s contains proper media files that can be recognized by Modem Supported files types (see below); for example, a USB Hard disk.

A device that’s compatible with Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA); for example, a PC running Windows with the DLNA client software installed , like XBMC http://kodi.tv/download/ .

A local network connection between the Modem and the DLNA-compatible device.

Supported file types (media profiles):

Image: JPEG, PNG

Audio: mp3 pcm wav tts

Video: mpg tts wma wmv mp4 3gp adts(mpeg-2) ifo.

Supported file system on HD

As Modem, below file system are supported:

FAT16

FAT32

NTFs

EXT2/3/4

HFS/HFS+

Note : the modem doesn't support hard disk which size is bigger than 2 Tera size (2T)."

AnthonyJA

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I can confirm that all of the above is as it should be. 

- The drive is 2TB

- NTFS formatted

- Drive contains media files with corresponding filetypes as outlined above

All is as it should be. The problem seems to be the modem can detect the drive, but doesn't recognise the partition. If it recocnised the partition, the drive table would be populated with data, which it's not (refer to the pics in my previous post).

I DID, however, format the drive with a 2048k cluster-size, instead of the default. 64k cluster sizes on a drive with an average file size of 500MB+ is just senseless and just reduces read times. 

Is it possible for cluster-sizes to have an impact on the modem's ability to recognise the partition on the drive?

NB. Althlough the disc is 2TB in size, the actual available space is actually 1.8TB, which is under the alleged 2TB cap.

Thanks again.

AJA
AnthonyJA

Under great pain, I just formatted the drive to NTFS at the default cluster size. I copied a handful of files of varying types. (Mp3, Mp4, Avi, Mkv, etc) and the issue persists. The device can detect the drive, but not the partition, it seems. The hard disk information table under advanced settings still remains blank and states 'Currently there are no connected devices'.

It did, however, recognise a 1GB FAT32 thumbdrive immediately. So I'm at a loss. I cannot format a 2TB drive to FAT32, so it needs to be able to recognise a file system larger than 32GB. 

The firmware is version 18.1.c.0462-950-RB. I'll assume this is the latest as the modem was only delivered yesterday.

Is there something I'm missing? Or should I be asking for a replacement?

AJA
cf4

Is the disc configured as a BIOS with MBR or as a UEFI disc with an EFI partition?

When you reformatted the disc did you do a quick format?

AnthonyJA

Hi CF4,

It's an out-of-the-box external hard drive. It's just a straight-up partition. No boot or MBR, no UEFI. It's not necessary for a storage device. It was formatted via quick-format, yes. But most drives are these days. Even the 1GB stick that worked perfectly fine was QF'd at some point as well.

AJA
cf4

Hard disks even if the have only one partition have an MBR (Master boot record) or EFI partition.

The reason I asked if the disk was quick formatted was that wen you quick format you don't wipe what was on the disk. For example ti check whether the cluster size had any effect I quick formatted a disc from default cluster size to 2048kb cluster size and then copy some files to it. On the PC I could see the new files but not the old files. When disk was connected to modem's USB port a few of the old files were visible but non of the new files were visible. So the cluster size might be why your disk is not mounting properly.

DanMc1976
Level 1: Cadet

The reason for the size difference is due to hard drive manufacturers define 1KB as 1000bytes and a computer defines 1KB as 2¹⁰bytes so which technically is 1KiB but i guess people just got so used to the decimal version t that either no-one knew or cared until they buy a hard drive. Your 2TB drive is 2 trillion bytes or 2,000,000,000,000 bytes while the computer is  not going to recognise 1 terabyte as anything less than 2⁴⁰ or 1,099,511,627,776. 

2TB in the computers eyes is 1099511627776 × 2=2199023255552bytes. The same conversion can be reversed of course 1000000000000 ÷ 1.099511627776 =

909494701773bytes or 909.49GB per TB or about 9.15% ripped off from the promised capacity
It's stupid and I don't really understand why it is so apart from people use decimal and computers use binary. At 8 bits to a byte your 1Kb or 1024 bits fits 128 bytes.  it's the same with all forms of memory,  ROM, RAM internal hard drive, external hard drive, flash drive. Always the same, even CD and DVD ROM so if your ever shrinking a movie to fit on a CD that says it's 800Mb, shrink your movie to 700Mb and be glad you didn't have to figure all this out on your own. If you want to try and make sense of why this is,
https://convertermaniacs.com/terabyte-to-byte/convert-2-tb-to-bytes.html 
https://www.shmoop.com/computer-science/boolean-logic/

AnthonyJA

Thanks for your help.

I formatted the disc with the default cluster size and still the modem does not recognise any partitions. 

Under the list of connected devices, the USB device does show up.

But under the list of drives in content sharing, it still shows that there are no drives attached.

Should I format this disk in a different manner? If so, can you recommend a method or tool to do the trick?

Cheers

AJA
cf4

The only other thing I can suggest is to use the windows Disk management tool to delete all partitions on the drive and then recreate the partition and format the drive with default cluster size.

The modem uses Linux as operating tool and the only tool that you could try using is Gparted, the disk management tool used by Linux. Download the live ISO from site below. Create a live USB or CD from ISO and then boot PC from USB or CD.

https://gparted.org/ 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more