chezie
Level 2: Rookie

D-Link DWM-222 No service

Hi,

Currently my main internet service is down so I got a D-Link DWM-222 as well as a Telstra SIM. I have updated the firmware on the device as well as sign up for a data plan over 48 hours ago but the device is still getting 'No service' according to the D-Link software.

I've never used a setup like this before, any help would be appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: D-Link DWM-222 No service

What was your original NBN service? Did it include a Telstra Smart Modem 2 (which has 4G backup built in)?

Does your mobile device run on the Telstra network and as the situation is now, does it do data directly (without wi-fi to the modem)?

It can take a while for Telstra to provision SIM's lately. Is the SIM prepaid (needs activating) or Post paid?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
chezie

Original service is a non-Telstra ISP, the device is to do data directly (wireless wan not wireless lan) and the SIM is prepaid.

SteveW_52

Does your mobile device (handset) work on the Telstra network? I am trying to establish if you have coverage where you are, and whether the 'bands' Telstra use there are compatible with the DLink device.

Also, unplug the DLink and remove the SIM..  leave it off for an hour or so, then plug it back in. The disconnection from the network might be needed to ensure the SIM is de-registered before trying to re-register... 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
chezie

oh, yes the mobile tether is with Telstra. I'll try removing the SIM and report back. Thanks!

chezie

ok having done that it is now stuck 'Network searching...'

SteveW_52

It might take a while to find the appropriate channel..

You could look here for a manual and/or firmware just in case..

http://support.dlink.com.au/Download/download.aspx?product=DWM-222

Stevo 52
chezie

yep already had updated the firmware, it is currently still 'Network searching...'

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - I haven't had any experience with a Data SIM, so when you activated the SIM, did you get some sort of on-line confirmation from Telstra that it was successful?  To prove your D-Link works, can your withdraw the new Telstra Data SIM and insert your mobile phone SIM to see if it connects. The DWM-222 supports all Telstra Bands B1(3G -2100Mhz), 4G B3(1800Mhz), B7 (2600Mhz) and B28(700Mhz) and I assume there may be a setting which Automatically selects the best band which could be adjusted to force connection onto B28 which should be the strongest signal for extended coverage if you are a long way from the cell tower.

You may have to call Telstra for them to investigate in case the SIM is at fault. 

SteveW_52

And you have definitely activated the SIM? and as @Mkrtich asks, you received a confirmation?

I can't say I have tried it, but you could put that new data SIM into your phone and see if that works - registers correctly (though no voice calls obviously)?

Stevo 52
TropicalSuze
Level 1: Cadet

I have the same problem. It says “network searching”. Weirdly, it shows full bars of coverage so it has connected in some way, but not fully. Did you get a resolution?

Mkrtich

Hi - I activated a Data SIM with another carrier last week for testing in a different modem. You are seeing the four bars on your DWM-222 as that is the 4G LTE Radio Receiver which indicates reception signal is strong independent of transmission. The Transmitter has to dial a number *99# to connect to the Network - this may be transparent or not shown on your screen; it is then through connected to an Access Point, which should be viewable in your Settings screens. I don't know if D-Link auto fills in the APN or if you have to type it in. Is there a default Telstra APN shown in the GUI screen and if so, it may be not applicable to your service and that is why you may be seeing Searching for a Network. 

The Telstra Access Point Name may be telstra.internet - is there a drop down choice to select or type in another Access Point Name (APN). Suggest you contact Telstra to find out if another APN is required. I changed my default APN changed with the assistance of the carrier's agent to get higher data speed connection. I don't know if Telstra has to do the change on Data SIMs at their Network level or if you can do it yourself.   

Difficult to know if this information is up to date.

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/mobiles_apn 

Mkrtich

Correction - according to press announcement dated 2019, Telstra has moved 3G services off B1 and uses that 2100 Mhz frequency for 4G only now. 

Just checking, when you see Searching or No Network at the bottom of your D-Link Connection Manager Screen , are you then selecting the Green Tick Connect rectangle in the centre of the screen to make the connection and nothing connects.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more