Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Deco M5 / Smart Modem - Ethernet Backhaul Problem

Answered

Hi - looking for assistance with an install problem please.

I bought the Deco M5 mesh system and have it set up and working over wifi. Have wired from the Smart Modem LAN port into Deco unit which is set up in Access Point mode. All wifi is turned off on the Smart Modem.

Am keen to get the mesh working via Ethernet backhaul as I have wired points throughout the house. I can’t seem to make that happen through the Smart Modem. As soon as any additional cable is plugged into the back of the Smart Modem the internet is lost. 

Any tips would be appreciated- thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Deco M5 / Smart Modem - Ethernet Backhaul Problem

What model Telstra modem do you have (DJA0231, LH1000, DJA0230.......)?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Yes the satellite Deco's can't connect directly to modem but must connect to another deco as indicated in the diagram.

You could try factory resetting all the Deco's and then connect them to modem land ports before setting them up.

Another option is to buy a switch for about $39 or use an old router configured as switch connected to second Ethernet port of first deco.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

What model Telstra modem do you have (DJA0231, LH1000, DJA0230.......)?

Highlighted

It is the DJA0231

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Were the ethernet connections on the modem/router working beforehand?

What model of Smart Modem do you have and have you power cycled that yet?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

@SteveW_52 wrote:

Were the ethernet connections on the modem/router working beforehand?

What model of Smart Modem do you have and have you power cycled that yet?

All connections were fine before, not now though ... 

Just did a power cycle again and when that happens the deco network falls over. It is the DJA 0231

Highlighted

So with the ethernet ports, does plugging any device in to the modem ports kill the internet, or is it just the Deco's?  

Do you have an un-managed switch on hand that you can plug into the router, then connect the Deco's to the switch?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Highlighted

Are my correct in assuming the Deco was connected to the Smart modem using WiFi? If it was reset the smart modem and deco and then try setting Deco to access point mode and connect to LAN port on Smart modem without connecting to Smart modem using WiFi.

If on the other hand you are trying to connect several Deco's to the modem directly I don't think that is possible. Only one can be connected directly to modem the others have to be connected in series as per link below.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

Highlighted

It appears to be just the Decos .... I just connected my sonos bridge directly to the modem and all is ok. Connected through another port to the Telstra TV too. 

I don’t have a switch to test unfortunately... is there a setting in the modem that could be amiss ?

Highlighted

@cf4 wrote:

Are my correct in assuming the Deco was connected to the Smart modem using WiFi? If it was reset the smart modem and deco and then try setting Deco to access point mode and connect to LAN port on Smart modem without connecting to Smart modem using WiFi.

If on the other hand you are trying to connect several Deco's to the modem directly I don't think that is possible. Only one can be connected directly to modem the others have to be connected in series as per link below.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

I’m trying to achieve what is shown in the Ethernet backhaul example in the link. Are you saying there needs to be a direct cable connection between the decos and not through the router ?

Highlighted

No, I don't think there is anything amiss with the router.. I think the issue is with the Deco/s.

Did you note cf4's suggestion? i.e. only connecting the one 'main' Deco unit to the router? the other ones connect in a daisychain off the 'main' one..

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Correct...

The Wi-Fi option is much the same, you extend from the main unit (which is connected to the router by cable and maybe wi-fi [but I have never done that - I love my copper Smiley Surprised]) to the others by connecting to the main unit wifi in a mesh arrangement..  

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Ok - seem to be making headway, thanks. 

On the back of the Deco I have connected one cable coming from the back of the modem. In the other I have a cable plugged directly into the port of the point in another room.

Does this mean I need to buy a switch so that I will be able to connect up the other Deco via the switch ?

Highlighted

I have only ever connected them daisychain style..  but if you have a switch on the outward facing side of a Deco slave, that could work..  it you have the other ecos cable ready, then the daisy chain would be preferred..

Stevo 52
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Yes the satellite Deco's can't connect directly to modem but must connect to another deco as indicated in the diagram.

You could try factory resetting all the Deco's and then connect them to modem land ports before setting them up.

Another option is to buy a switch for about $39 or use an old router configured as switch connected to second Ethernet port of first deco.

Highlighted

Thanks cf4 - this is what I’ve done and all is sorted !

Happy household and also gave me a couple of extra ports on the Telstra router to clip equipment into. Worth the hassle - appreciate the help of all for someone of limited IT skills 👍😀

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more