Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Anthony_Thai
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Discussion: Arcadyan Firmware Update Notes

Wake up this morning and the modem firmware updated to 0.14.12r, which seems to have fixed the issues -

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

That's great news. I am still on 0.13.01r - interesting to see what the new version brings - hopefully addressing other known issues with some fixes. Thanks for your feedback. 

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

I'd seen reports of the FW update, and posted here about it, wondering if there was any change log info. Not holding my breath for it to actually happen, I always seem to be months behind in the roll out.. Smiley Frustrated

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SammyY
Level 6: Bloodhound

I couldn't sleep and caught my modem updating.

11.05.2021 04:38:22 TR069: Firmware LH1000_0.14.12r_build01_Netduma-c63deed_R0A_debug.w.ArcSigned download successfully.

So 0.14.12r now...

I wish we had warning when this happened, and some advice on whether saved config from prior firmwares were still valid. One minor gripe I have is that at some point the firmware started enforcing stronger password rules. More major gripes are that guest networks still aren't reliable (some addresses unreachable), and there is less control than I'd like over DNS config.

Other than those things my connection has been stable, but ever since companies decided they should decide for you when you upgrade, I can't help but feel like I'm one bad update away from disaster at all times. I guess I'm a dinosaur.

jayonaise
Support Team
Support Team

TELSTRA provided modems are updated automatically, on reboot, or overnight if Telstra pushes out an urgent update.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mkrtich

@SteveW_52  My Arcadyan LH:1000 updated to 0.14.12r early this morning, so maybe yours is on the same cycle. I could not see any visible difference in GUI screens, so assume all improvements are under the bonnet to fix some previously identified issues. Hopefully we may see reports from others who can confirm if those issues have been corrected. 

SteveW_52

Not for me ..  still on the previous FW.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
TwoS1

A firmware update should not need you to reload your personal settings - I have only ever had to do this after a reset to factory defaults.

Having said that, a config file produced under a previous version I believe should be usable as it is really only your individual settings. Personally, while I have a copy of my config file, I tend to load my settings manually after a factory reset when trying to fix an issue, as it seems the issue can also be reloaded? In theory this should not be, but a number of other posts here and on Whirlpool suggest it might be so.

As regards the stronger password rules, this has been the case for many previous versions. The unofficial user manual floating around mentions this, and that looks like it was produced at version 0.08.06r

Anyhow, my modem was updated to ver 0.14.12r at about 05:00 this morning.

My issues as mentioned previously with the random display of connected ethernet devices was not apparent - only because no wired devices were showing up anywhere at all

I did a factory reset, and some connected ethernet devices showed up, but not all.

After manually changing my settings, I did a power refresh of the modem. Once again NO ethernet connected devices were displayed and the "wired fields" were all blank. I am seriously thinking I may have hardware problems with my router

Jonesey3000
Level 1: Cadet

I agree, a change log would be great. If anyone has a link to what was changed in the 0.14.12r update I would love to get it.

My LH1000 updated to 0.14.12r early morning on the 08/05. Since updating to this latest firmware I have lost access to the 2.4Ghz on an old legacy device.

I have also had 3 or 4 Wi-Fi drop outs on both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. It comes back up after about 30 secs, but causes loss of internet connection for home laptops etc. Not good when in the middle of a Teams meeting.

I haven't noticed any changes to the GUI though.

Mkrtich

@TwoS1 Thanks for sharing your experiences. On your Home Screen map, have you selected Hide non-connected Devices, then Unselected it  to see if that makes any difference and also undertaken a Refresh circle button to the right. On the Device folio next to the Home screen tab, do your Ethernet devices show up correctly there. My modem has consistent entries on both screens. 

I am a bit skeptical about the Config file too for the reason you mention but also because I have been unable to view the Encoded contents which I expected to be Latin ASCII characters derived from their binaries. When I opened it up in Notepad, all I see are Chinese Characters - a great security bonus to stop inquisitive minds Smiley Happy. I tried the same process with Notepad++, WordPad and Libre Office Writer - three editors show non Chinese Characters of what one could call gibberish ( letters, numbers and symbols)  which a Decoder program which converts ASCII to English text, such as base64.org,  does not handle. It may indicate a corruption in the Config file. 

@Jonesey3000  - In your 2.4Ghz WiFi page settings, are Band Steering and Protected Management Frames Disabled and SAVED. Some Legacy devices have issues with these two features Enabled. Bandsteering will limit power to the 2.4Ghz band in order to favour the 5Ghz band although it shows as 100%.

We may see a change log from Telstra appear in this thread in the future.

Anthony_Thai

Just another cosmetic issue for the router web interface I think - the Wi-Fi status indicates it's off, but it is green at the back of the router itself, and Wi-Fi connections are ok.

TwoS1

Thanks for response Mkrtich

While I currently have 3 (4 when I turn on desktop PC) active devices connected by ethernet, the home screen and device tab (both in basic and advanced views) have no ethernet devices shown at all and only wifi devices are shown. The devices tab under advanced / local devices also does not show any ethernet devices (except the router itself at the top).

Tried playing around with hidden devices and refresh buttons - no difference.

All the connected devices are working OK, but the SM2 does not seem to be seeing them as connected.

As no one one else seems to be seeing this issue, it makes me suspect even more strongly that I have a faulty router - just not looking forward to trying to convince support that I need a replacement.

Looks like the traffic monitor problems still not addressed.

Mkrtich

Yes, I have had that on occasions in firmware versions prior to 0.13.01r  - it seems to correct itself after a while. Currently, my Arcadyan shows Green on the rear WiFi and Pair LEDs and green at the bottom of the log-in radio button.

TwoS1

Re the Wi Fi status on the login page - just looked at my router's login page, and mine is still showing "green"

Trying to recall, but I think I have seen this before. I reckon I may have turned wifi off and then on again (not really sure) and it started working again.

I know a number of times that the mobile signal indicator on login page was "white", but was working on back of modem, and logging in to GUI said signal strength OK. Next time tried to login, signal indicator was working again.

Anthony_Thai

At the moment it doesn't affect the Wifi connections, I can still connect through it and achieve maximum speed. So I just put it as a cosmetic thing, an incorrect stat read from the actual status.

msnelling
Level 2: Rookie

Arcadyan Modem not displaying Devices connected to Ethernet ports

My Modem for some reason does not display the devices connected to the Ethernet ports.

It use to, but seems like something changed and now the devices are not visible anymore.

- don't know where to add them back in

- have restarted the devices multiple times and the devices have not re-appeared

- the devices work on the internet (the PC i am using now to write this is connected to the modem)

based on the above troubleshooting, the problem seems to be with the modem

Modem details are -

Product Vendor
Arcadyan
Product Name
LH1000
Boot Version
1.0.38-116.118
Firmware Version
0.14.12r
Hardware Version
msnelling

Re: Arcadyan Modem not displaying Devices connected to Ethernet ports

further information - the devices that use to be accessible from the external internet (port forwarding etc) is no longer working, the devices are no longer accessible at all

example, cannot access the NAS drive I have in the premises from another site as the device is no longer visible from the modem

Dowser

On the face of it, your modem could be faulty.

You have already done some troubleshooting, but in addition I suggest that you look at the Telstra Smart Troubleshooter page

It states therein

Run automated tests to resolve your query online, and if we can't fix it, skip the queue to talk to someone directly.

msnelling

After reading some responses, I restarted the modem and did a factory reset... guess what, the devices now appear again in the device list on the modem

the problem was the modem, suspect that the issue was the firmware update (mine got updated to 0.14.12r) and other people have had similar issues with devices not appearing on their device list in the modem

so might have fixed it with the reset to factory option... now to configure back my config

msnelling

I had to do a factory reset to get my devices to re-appear on the modem device list - once 0.14.12r was loaded, the devices disappeared from my modem

since the factory reset, the devices are back on the modem device list - it was something with the firmware update

TwoS1

Thanks msnelling

As I mentioned above - my situation was

. updated to 0.14.12r overnight - no wired devices listed at all anywhere in the GUI, even tho they were accessible and worked OK

. Did factory reset of modem - ethernet devices now showing, but active status still hit and miss as I have always had.

. Manually reset my settings (SSID names, passwords, static leases etc. Power reset of modem, and wired devices "disappeared" and again not showing at all anymore.

I will try another factory reset when I can find a suitable time (I guess this is what support would tell me to do anyhow), and see what happens this time - stay tuned

OutOfSight
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: Arcadyan LH1000 RAM Memory Leakage?

cf4 thanks for your comments.
Clearly the Arcadyan has problems and is a step down from Technicolor, even though the serviceability of my previous Technicolor units (or their power supplies) was well below par (I had three successive models over about 5 years). At least the Arcadyan unit itself has to date provided a bit more service-reliability (after a shaky start a couple of years ago). I note its limitations in your unofficial user manual.
To Telstra: I am not at all impressed by your electronic equipment. It has created so much e-waste for me over the years and it's "criminal" that you cannot even supply replacement power supplies (my Arcadyan is currently running off my old Technicolor power supply because of failure). This required jury-rigging the plug to fit that awkward underside socket of the Arcadyan. Likewise I had to source a new power supply through e-bay for your T502 DECT phone, that is otherwise perfectly serviceable). This required changing the output plug (soldering old and new cables together). Telstra, you have the worst of retail business models; no after-sales support!
It's interesting that Arcadyan file transfers are one third the speed of Technicolor, even without the other problems I've experienced.
Fortunately I've not experienced the other problems that others have had.
I've not had the spin down problems noticed by others, in fact the WD-Elements drive has been very good in that respect, although it has been a bit slow on wake up sometimes.
I don't have any port forwarding rules so my speed problems shouldn't be related to that. Because of past problems with modems that have needed 'regular' factory resets, I've never tried to customise any of my modems, other than setting up network static IP addresses.
Nor have I experienced any unexplained disk wiping. I have read some of those posts. Scary!
But, when I first started using the WD Elements drive on one of the older Technicolor modems some years back, I did have some Master File Table problems that needed 'chkdsk' to fix, and some files disappeared as a result. That's why I switched from NTFS to FAT32 on that drive and its back-up drive, and have not had problems since.
I guess in the absence of comments from anyone else, the current problems I am having are entirely my own.
I have now received a Synology NAS I ordered and that has speeded things back to what I would consider normal. However the Arcadyan still fought back, creating IP addressing conflicts with a wireless printer (the subject of another post?) and it still sporadically, and quite randomly, loses the network path to the mapped drive on the NAS, even though I've set it up on a static IP address! I suspect that may in part be a problem with the network adaptor on one of my computers. Not sure yet.
Again, thanks cf4 (and for the manual).

It seems no comment from Telstra?

OutOfSight

Arcadyan LH1000 IP address conflict.

I notice that cf4 in his updated versions of his unofficial manual, highlights the discovered deficiencies and limitations of the Arcadyan LH1000 modem/router, and its erroneous diagnostics in charts and tables.

This also seems to extend to its reporting network IPv4 addresses.

Currently my wi-fi 'attached' printer is on a static address (192.168.0.2) because of previous band-steering issues with using a dynamic address.

I have just attached an Ethernet-connected Network Attached Storage. It installed fine but on the second day (after a reboot), the NAS could not be accessed. The NAS appeared in the Arcadyan devices table but as "not active" (red status). I then noticed that the Arcadyan had allocated it the same IPv4 address (192.168.0.3) as my printer (that is on a static 'lease').

Problem was/is, the printer is actually on a static address of 192.168.0.2 and has been working fine like this for years. So why had the Arcadyan reallocated a device static address and then allocated a dynamic address for another device to the same?

Puzzling because the printer itself also reports the address as 192.168.0.2.

So, (1) the Arcadyan "Menu/Advanced/Local Network/Local Network/ Static leases" table shows an IP address of 192.168.0.2 for the printer;

But (2) "Menu/Advanced/Local Network/Devices" devices table lists the printer with an IPv4 address of 192.168.0.3!

[Meanwhile, "Menu/Advanced/Local Network/Local Network Global Information Local Device IP address is shown as 192.168.0.1 and DHCP Settings indicate the DHCP Start address as 192.168.0.2 and the DHCP End address as 192.168.0.254.]

Interestingly, the above devices table (per (2) above) does not seem to show any device present, or from the past, ever having a 192.168.0.2 address. 

So, working through the problem I set up the NAS with a static IP address of 192.168.0.3 and then, after deleting, also tried it as 192.168.0.2. Both were no go. So, I then gave the NAS a static IP address almost as far away as possible: 192.168.0.253. This fixed the problem.

The printer is still on static address 192.168.0.2 but apparently operates as 192.168.0.3.

I've not been game to change these settings again to play with them. No time at the moment!

And, just to confuse things further, one of my computers that had a dynamic address of 192.168.0.5 (or thereabouts) has now been given a dynamic IP address of 192.168.0.254 (with its original dynamic address -and all the other addresses in between -still unused). Do static addresses have to be at the beginning of the list? Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Arcadyan LH1000 IP address conflict.

What version is the firmware on your devices. There have been lots of reports that modem's with firmware 0.13.01r have been missreporting the IP addresses of devices, and devices on Ethernet are shown as disconnected when they are actually connected.

There has just been an update to firmware 0.14.15r that appears to have fixed the wrong IP address being displayed in modem's GUI but has reports there are no devices connected to the Ethernet ports even when devices are connected.

I have set about 16 static address on my modem and have not noticed any miss reporting of IP addresses or devices having same IP address. All static IP have been set between 10 and 200. My modem is still on firmware version 0.13.01r.

TwoS1

Did a second Factory reset this afternoon  and manually updated my settings again - Ethernet devices are now showing, but my long running issues seem to be still happening - ie connected devices may or may not be shown as active (and changeable), different windows reporting different devices as active etc.

I have not done a subsequent power refresh this time, as last time it totally killed display of ethernet devices.

As modem is basically working good, I will probably just run with it and ignore my "funnies" - not worth the hassle of trying to get it fixed by support.

Mkrtich

Hi - prior to reading about reserving an IP range for Static addresses two years ago, I manually assigned my three Static IP addresses to be in the over 192.168.0.200 and above range only. After reading the article about reservering a sub range, I thought it was a good idea to reserve a range for Static devices, so I changed  the DHCP range of the modem to 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.254 allowing for any future Static IP addresses to be allocated from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.9. I haven't had the need to use the reserved range as yet and the modem has allocated other devices to the over 200 range, so it appears the modem tolerates a mixture of Static and Dynamic IP addresses co-existing. 

When you referred to a Reboot, did you mean the modem or the NAS?

I moved your post to here as it is more likely to be read by Telstra technical staff who participate in the forum and hopefully gets picked up for investigation.

OutOfSight

Thanks for your comments cf4 and Mkrtich
In answer to your questions...

My current firmware is 0.13.01r. So, perhaps some of my issues may be sorted out soon with a firmware update?
When I referred to a reboot, it was, in the end for both the NAS and the modem.
I set the NAS to shut down from midnight to 6 am (therefore -I assume, on this first night of operation -it rebooted at 6 am). But when I tried to access the NAS around 9 am, I could find the NAS on a Windows network "MS-Explorer" window (to bring up the web-based entry point for the NAS control-panel) but -repeatedly -not the drive (error message). Nor could I access it though a mapped drive window I had set up (error message). So I rebooted both the NAS and the Arcadyan and did more reboots of both after this (and also the computer I was working with) as I tried to work through the problem.

Since going into this I have also noticed the following inaccuracy in the modem menu:
The "Menu/Home" page of my Arcadyan (for both Basic and Advanced menus) shows three tabs: "Home", "Devices", "Boost Your Wi-Fi".
I note that in cf4's manual, images of both the "Basic" and "Advanced" home pages show the three tabs as "Home", "Wi-Fi Devices", "Boost Your Wi-Fi".
My "Basic Menu/Home/Devices" tab gives a list of all connected devices (ie. including Ethernet); but
My "Advanced Menu/Home/Devices" tab gives a list of only Wi-Fi connected devices (ie. excluding Ethernet).
Thus my device and cf4's manual are both 50% right, but for different reasons!
Interesting what you find out when you have problems!
Cheers.

Mkrtich

Hi - well spotted. I think early versions of the LH:1000 only showed 'WiFi Devices' in the Home screen folio and had an empty column for Ethernet devices; Versions 0.00.11r (cf4 Manual) , 0.05.04r (one of my faulty modems - LAN ports not working) and 0.08.06r (cf4 Manual). I didn't print those after 0.08.06r until 0.12.15r.

I only have printouts of 0.12.15r, 0.13.01r and 0.14.12r home screens - all show 'Devices' as I don't have a Telstra Wi-Fi Booster. The missing Ethernet port information bug was supposed to be fixed initially in 0.12.15r but had to be re-addressed with additional bug fixes in 0.13.01r, per the Wiki URL Change Log entries for each firmware version at the top of this Discussion Thread (on Page 1/4). 

The confusion and omission of Ethernet entries seemed to crop up when a Telstra Wi-Fi Booster was deployed in 0.12.15r and 0.13.01r systems - do you have a Telstra Wi-Fi Booster or a third party Extender/Access Point  per chance? When a Telstra Booster is installed the Home Screen, two extra tabs are displayed as shown in the Change Logs.  

Hoping 0.14.12r fixes it. 

OutOfSight

Hi

No, I don't have a Wi-Fi Booster either, or a 3rd party extender.

Since my recent posts were moved over to this thread, I've now read back through it and wow, so I am not alone!

Because we are rural and near the limit of ADSL (and no current hope of non-satellite NBN -and some people around here who have NBN (FTT -usually distant -N or fixed wireless), wish they hadn't), we get drop-outs and other problems all the time so many of the issues noted in this thread we have experienced but have just accepted them. I am now much more aware!

This current issue all started when I became fed-up with an apparent long-term, progressive slowing down of file transfers/ renaming/ deletions to/from a USB drive attached to the modem; to the point of me giving up and getting an NAS (though I did notice and was disappointed by the lower speed of the Arcadyan over previous Technicolor units right from the start)!

At the same time I also had a Wi-Fi range problem that I now see that other people have experienced recently, and I too wondered whether a firmware update had done something. I'm still not sure whether it was the modem or a computer Wi-Fi adaptor but the problem seemed to be exacerbated by my Wi-Fi printer being between my computer's line of sight with the modem. So I moved my work space and things improved (but still didn't fix the underlying issue with the progressively poorer file transfer speed).

So although the USB drive issue is unresolved, it is no longer a problem (as I now have an NAS)

We will see how the static addressing issue pans out, though it is all good at the moment!

I've been playing with computers since the 1970's and the over-hyped capabilities of modern electronics really annoys me. We have not moved forwards in many respects. I do sometimes wonder whether we try to make things too smart.

So, will have to see how things develop.

Many thanks for your comments and pointers.

mondoprune

Parental Controls on the Arcadyan LH1000

Seems the only way to access Parental Controls with Telstra is request the Technicolor TG799
Gen 2 Smart modem as the Arcadyan LH1000 Smart modem doesn't work at all with the current Firmware 0.14.12r? Is this correct?
The Online Telstra Broadband Protect does not support the Family Safety Parental Controls either
it comes up with an error: "This site is inactive. Please contact the administrator."

Mkrtich

Thanks for your feedback. Most of my Arcadyan Auto Updates have occurred between 2.00 AM and 4.00 AM with exception of one that occurred mid morning. I have also experienced corruption of a Netgear modem whilst I was surfing the web and the update knocked out the previously working 5Ghz WiFi network.

Given the possibility of damage to USB Drives that have been left ON with reported Arcadyan modems during previous updates, it may pay to take pre-cautionary action by disconnecting the NAS at night time in case the next 0.14.12r update, which will reset the modem, does so when you are asleep, during any NAS write to disk auto data back up happening at the same time. 

If your are in what I would call the 'twilight zone' - poor ADSL speed and reliability, at the end limits of FTTN, poor Fixed Wireless and Satellite by neighbours, and you have reasonable data connectivity with your mobile phone, then 4GX Mobile Network may be worth researching. Telstra has some worthy solutions that may provide you with equivalent or greater outcomes to NBN services subject to your location.

This map will allow you to see how far away you are from the near cell towers. Google Earth also has a measuring ruler that you can apply between two endpoints and even a side elevation trace of the topology to see if you have line of sight. https://www.rfnsa.com.au/?first=1 

In a metro area, a humble 4G CAT 6 modem without external antennae may result in equivalent or better NBN service - e.g. download speeds of 15Mbps, 20Mbps, 50 Mbps and 80 Mbps subject to time of day and other variables. Telstra Netgear M2 4GX Mobile Router (CAT20) and Telstra Netgear Orbi 4GX Router including Satellite WiFi (CAT 18) are worthy contenders for further investigations due their Channel Aggregation capabilities providing greater speeds. 

Both these solutions are approximately $100/month (equipment and service) over 24 months with a 400 GB/month allowance. 

Telstra also has Mobile Data 5G options using other Hotspots. Cell towers that have been 5G enabled by Telstra will also show up on the map if applicable in your area. In addition, for stationary in home applications, Telstra 5G Home Broadband, using the Arcadyan AW:1000 modem,  is also available but is currently in restricted trial availability mode. Recently Telstra announced that they are aggressively building out the 5G Networks and the existing 500 GB/ month download allowance has been doubled to 1000 GB/month without price increase, so I assume Telstra may be in the process of increasing the trial footprints to those that are struggling to have good NBN experiences. Whirlpool.net.au has a Discussion group on the Telstra 5G AW:1000 unit - some outstanding results with specialised External antennae.

I don't have experience with the Netgear Orbi 4GX but it presents as a worthy solution for research on the web and YouTube for reviews as it includes a Satellite WiFi unit, meaning you can locate the main unit at the strongest receive signal position in home and then also extend your coverage inside with the Satellite. 

Mkrtich

Re: Parental Controls on the Arcadyan LH1000

Hi - did the feature work for you in the previous Arcadyan LH:1000 firmware version 0.13.01r or has the TG799 recently been replaced by the Arcadyan. If you haven't configured the Parental Control in Arcadyan before, Section 6 of @cf4 's Unofficial Manual may be of assistance.

If you are still experiencing trouble after following the guide, I will move your post to the Arcadyan Discussion Group in case there is a software issue that can be noted by others who may be able to help.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BVq7jGm44RtQIbfGwSVvyj98i27qj1s9/view?usp=sharing 

mondoprune

thanks i did see the manual and followed it although i didn't quite understand the statement "Time of day rules only effect internet access they don’t prevent devices connecting to modem’s WI-FI" So parental controls (time of day rules) can't be done on any WIFI channels?

I am only new to Telstra never used any Smart modems before, I have only read about the TG799. My Arcadyan LH:1000 is the only one i've used with current Firmware.

Mkrtich

I think that means that after Allow, Block rule times or URL blocks are Saved and hopefully they work

, that the WiFi networks are still functioning, which allows you to access a printer or hard disk connected to the modem. In theory, it also allows inquisitive young minds who may know the modem password to access the GUI screens and remove or edit the rules, so a good security practice is important. Keep in mind that a Factory Reset will also remove any custom settings made.

mondoprune

anyone with any suggestions i keep trying to get the Arcadyan LH1000 parental contols -Host MAC Start Time Stop Time Mode Day of weeks - allow or block to work but it aint happeneing!

cf4

Are you trying to set up controls for a IOS device? A recent firmware update to these devices added extra security by radomising  there MAC address. On some other devices the MAC address can be change. This results in time of day rule set up for a particular MAC address not working when the device changes its MAC address.

Mkrtich

Hi - you might have to dust off that T799  - you are not alone. Smiley Happy I just set a 5 minute Block rule in Parent Control on a test Arcadyan with 0.14.12r ( secondary modem behind my primary Arcdayan modem) and it doesn't work for me as well. Even did a Power Reset to check the settings were indeed saved. You may have discovered a software bug. 

Checked the Time Server clock and Linux PC Clock - all OK. Can't think of anything else at the moment. 

The MAC Address Randomisation applies to IOS 14 and Android 10 and above respectively. On the iPhone it is set ON as Default and designed to protect users from being tracked when they roam into other external public and private WiFi  Networks. When in your own home network, the function can be Disabled in the WiFi Info screen and then your device shows it's real MAC address to the modem. 

I think it is best to report the issue to Telstra so that it can be escalated for investigation and possible fix.

In the interim, it may be possible to set up the TG799 as an Access Point interconnected to the Arcadyan. I don't have experience with the TG799 but I would think it would follow the same procedures as more current modems. Let us know if you wish to pursue that option and need any assistance - @cf4 's Unofficial Manual covers the process very well.

Mkrtich

Well this is embarrassing and apologies to the software programmers. Last night, not paying attention to the screen details, I ticked the box on the right of Tuesday (which is actually Wednesday)  and not to the left of Tuesday, which would explain why it didn't work for my test.

This morning, I 'Factory Reset' the modem first and set a 5 minute Block for the Linux PC, following a post by @IC71  and responses from @cf4 where that worked for the person in April 2020 when the modem was on 0.10.05r firmware. Other  peculiarities picked up from that post is that, with that firmware, is that you could only set one time for the same MAC on the same day and URL Blocking was not consistently applied to some sites. Not sure if that is still the case. 

Parent Control works on my 0.14.12r modem now and frees up the PC at the End Time. Maybe try a Factory Reset in case that sets up Parent Control properly in the firmware of your modem.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/parental-controls-setup-on-arcadyan-lh1000/td... 

OutOfSight

Hi,

Thanks for your advice of Saturday, but...

We are pretty well stuck with what we have got. That is, slow ADSL (1.5 to 4.0 mb/s, with minimal mobile phone reception (due to topography), to the extent that the Arcadyn 'mobile signal' light (LED) shows at best, red, often not at all. When our internet is 'down', it is down! 

As we live in the wet tropics, satellite has a poor reputation owing to signal degrade during heavy rain and our cloudy wet season. We have similar issues with the digital TV signals at times, particularly with higher frequencies. 

Cheers.

chris-_-

Arcadyan LH1000 Wifi Calling Problem

I am up to 6 days with telstra chat to no avail, still getting level 1 troubleshooting...

My notes so far:
router: Arcadyan LH1000
firmware:0.14.12r
connection: ADSL
3G/4G/LTE: No service in my area

Problem:
no wifi-calling on any phone
wifi calling worked fine for years until last month.

Troubleshooting:
1. there are 4 phones on the premises. There is no 3G/4G reception at the premesis. All phones work via 4G mobile network where 3G/4G is available. All phones work with WIFICalling through all other internet connections.
2. internet works fine, all devices
3. waiting for contact by expert since last week
4. ADSL connection/line test OK
5. telstra side account settings refreshed
6. power cycled phones many times
7. power cycled router many times
8. reset network settings, all phones, many times
9. removed/reinserted SIM, all phones, many times
10. flight mode on/off, all phones, many times
11. all phone firmware updated
12. factory reset router, no change
13. changed ipv6 to ipv4v6, no change
14. Checked username/password
15. Reset Router, no change
16. Took router to a location with 3G/4G/LTE coverage. LTE and IPv6 works fine. No wifi calling.
problem is either tesltra side account config, or maybe something with the recent firmware.

17. Reset ADSL password to refresh telstra-side account settings, no change

We live in a remote area and rely on wifi-calling, so it's really been driving me crazy!

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Jupiter

Re: Arcadyan LH1000 Wifi Calling Problem

Has the speed on your ADSL service reduced at all? VoWiFi requires at least a 5Mbps D/L connection to work properly from memory.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
chris-_-

Thanks for your response!

Connection speed is about the same it's always been, ~6Mbps.

I thought VoWiFi only needed 120kbps per call...

I have noticed that wifi calling uses IMS service for geolocation through the router, and I notice the phones seem to hang when trying to enable wifi-calling through this router.

Perhaps it needs a port open?

Dowser

I came across a thread regarding a change to the settings of a Netgear router to get WiFi Calling to work.  It might give you ideas (even though it was for the Verizon network).

chris-_-

Thanks for your reply!

I read through the thread and tried their suggestions. No luck yet!

18. Forwarded DNS 53 and IPSEC 50, no change
19. changed to google DNS, no change
20. Tested VPN to my work, so IPSEC 500 & 4500 are open
21. Reset ADSL password to help refresh Telstra account settings, no change
22. Connected to WiFi while GPS was enabled to provide location services geolocation
23. Changed 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi bands, no change

Dowser

Does that include the mentioned “Disabling SIP ALG and changing the channel on the router”?.

What mobile devices are you using?.

And, how did you test “All phones work with WIFICalling through all other internet connections”?.

chris-_-

The LH1000 Aracdyan is really limited for settings, there's no option to change SIP alg.

For the past month I've used wifi calling at work, but it doesn't work at home. 

chris-_-

Devices - Samsung S7, Samsung S9, Samsung S10, iPhone 6, Samsung Xcover Pro

Dowser

I would consider testing a different ADSL modem to test if the modem or your Telstra internet service is causing the problem.

Mkrtich

Hi - you have done a lot of professional trouble shooting. Have you always had the Arcadyan modem and if so did it recently upgrade to 0.14.12r firmware which was released early this month - if so did it work on 0.13.01r or is it a new modem that replaced a previous working modem?

1. Is the PSTN telephone line service working and the Phone LED on the back of the modem - general interest. 

2. Outgoing VoWiFi calls from your mobiles fail - do Incoming calls made from your home telephone line or other originating sources to your mobile phone also fail. 

3. Are there any traces of failures in the Modem's Log file. If it has upgraded to 0.14.12r around the time your problem began, there may be line entries that show these events. I find it best to export the text file and Open it up in a Spreadsheet for easier reading and highlighting. You may be able to convince Telstra to send you another modem with evidence.

4. I also found an article which explains how VoWiFi works on a Carrier's Data Network which covers and confirms some of the additional tests you had undertaken and @Dowser 's suggestions. 

https://www.networkcomputing.com/networking/your-network-optimized-wifi-calling 

chris-_-

Hi Mkrtich,

Trying my best! It's been a few decades since I worked in IT doing commercial breakfix...

Always had the same Arcadyan LH1000, I've always suspected it was a firmware update that caused it, but unfortunately the factory reset has cleared the log. Yes it's now on 0.14.12r.

I'm glad I decided to post on here, rather than continuing to try and trick the Telstra techs over help chat to do something useful (been getting a lot of "excellent, you're internet connection is now working, is there anything else we can help you with today?")...

I did order a router early last week as I could see where this was all headed - a netgear r7000, hopefully it'll arrive soon and I can test it directly and also with the LH1000 in bridge mode.

1. PSTN is working fine, green LED is lit on the modem.

2. Yes the phones don't display the VoWiFi icon, so no incoming/outgoing via WiFi.

3. Unfortunately lost with factory reset last week, but with the incredibly restricted access to settings, I can only assume there's a hidden setting in there that was changed that probably only affects ADSL users with no cellular coverage. Possibly NAT Acceleration, IPsec passthrough, QoS, Certificate Fragmentation, DNS@53, VPN@500,4500, IPSEC@50. I can ping all the Telstra VoWiFi DNS hosts (*.mcc505.pub.3gppnetwork.org) plus I disabled all firewalls with no success, so there's not really much more I can think of to try with the adjustments I have available. I did see somewhere there's a possibility for a custom firmware for the LH1000, which would be great to be able to adjust the settings and disable TR069 access and bar pushed firmware updates, but honestly I don't have the time to start a new firmware modding project!

4. Thank you for the additional information, I'll spend a few more hours on it today.

I've woken to a message from tech support chat to restart the router - hopefully they've pushed some changes out!

Thanks again.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more