Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
commentkcore
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: Discussion: Arcadyan Firmware Update Notes

@commentkcore wrote:

So this is for my mother's device. It used to be that I could do a number of refreshes, and get some sort of moving snapshot... but now, I can hit that refresh, either at the browser level, or within the page, and I see nothing. Zero devices at all.

I do have a mesh network setup, so no wireless clients, but it used to work even with that. It's very frustrating.

OK. I just noticed... it does work.. .but it seems to only show devices for the short period after they join the network, perhaps after a lease renewal too... they disappear pretty quickly after that.

wallyz

I figured a fix for this.  I spent a week with Telstra support trying to get my 2.4ghz devices back online.

The problem is with the Channel Width setting under WIFI->2.4GHZ.

This seems to be set to Auto(20/40).  Which is clearly in contradiction to the industry leader accepted standard practices of 20mhz.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202068

Channel width

Set to 20 MHz for the 2.4 GHz band
      Set to Auto or all widths (20 MHz, 40 MHz, 80 MHz) for the 5 GHz band

Channel width specifies how large of a "pipe" is available to transfer data. Wider channels are faster but more susceptible to interference and more likely to interfere with other devices.

• 20 MHz for the 2.4 GHz band helps to avoid performance and reliability issues, especially near other Wi-Fi networks and 2.4 GHz devices, including bluetooth devices.
  • Auto or all channel widths for the 5 GHz band ensures the best performance and compatibility with all devices. Wireless interference is less of a concern in the 5 GHz band.

OK so when I changed my Channel Width setting back to the industry recommendation of 20mhz all my 2.4ghz devices came back into life instantaneously.

There is one thing to keep in mind.  After making this change I found the setting would revert back to the default Auto(20/40) after several minutes which would immediately drop all 2.4ghz clients.

To make the setting stick after you change it you must Restart the router through the Management->System Reset tab.

This seems to have stopped the setting reverting back.

EladB1

>>>Unfortunately it is not possible to rollback the firmware.

I didn't realise you were answering my question.

FYI, in software engineering, a rollback means reverting to an older version, not porting different firmware...which is what I was asking.

Anyway I take that as a NO to my initial question, which is a big pity since I've been lead to believe that the LH1000 and DJA0231 have identical internal hardware...and by that I don't just mean the white plastic boxes !

Despite what some people have said, I've found Technicolor firmware to be superior to the Arcadyan stuff !

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

My apology I  should off typed swapped.  

The modems might have identical DSL, cellular and WiFi chips but they have a different motherboard.

I think @SteveW_52 was referring to the hardware being more reliable not the firmware.

In my opinion the DJA0231 is the better modem expecially if the connection is a DSL connection. But the DJA0231 does seem to have more 2.4 GHz WiFi hardware failures.

wallyz

It appears there is nothing you can do to get the Arcadyan software to respect your setting choice for the Channel Width.  So now I am spending most of my day keeping an eye on it and changing it back constantly.

cf4

That's strange I have set mine to 20 MHz due to an older device that has lower speed when modem's 2.4 GHz Bandwidth set to auto and it  stays on 20 MHz. Doe the modem communicate with maintenance server just before setting changes.

Look for TR069 events just before the channel width change event in the modem's log.

This was supposed to be fixed in firmware 0.13.01r

"Manual Wi-Fi Settings Override Fix

Our modem’s software that monitors Wi-Fi stability and adjusts settings to improve the Wi-Fi experience was found to also be unintentionally overriding manual adjustments set by the user. For example, manual Wi-Fi channel selection was being overwritten. This issue should now be resolved."

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

As @cf4 suggested, I was referring to hardware aspects of the two models..

For most of my adult life I have been involved in telecommunications and ICT and for almost all that time I have chased the 'best' firmware for devices and spent countless hours tweaking modems and routers - I have found issues in almost all cases, one FW version is fine, the next has issue, the one after that is crap and needed reflashing..  I have got a bit tired of that and I am quite happy with either of the Smart Modem 2 types. They aren't perfect, and they have issues and frustratingly can't be managed firmware wise (especially not rolled back to previous versions or prevented from the updating at Telstra behest)..  but I am OK, with it, I guess I am not as fussy these days and have other strategies in place (multiple internet services being the main one).. my biggest concerns are for my very non technical customers who have no idea about the smoke and mirrors. They also have trouble dealing with the Telstra online/phone support and rely on me to be the intermediary..  so for them, the most reliable devices are the main need. I am tending to install the LH1000's now, those users never go near the GUI anyway..  so as long as it is working it is all good.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

I have never had any problem with the LH1000's staying locked on 20MHz bandwith for the 2.4GHz band. My own personal one has been set like that since I first set it up (must getting close to 2 years) and I also haven't had too many issues with the firmware updates causing problems so far - but maybe I don't spend as much time poking aroundf in the GUI's these days??  There are things I know don't work great in the GUI, but I am a bit ambivalent towards what is says incorrectly, provided the devices actually work, and work they do - for my purposes anyway. That said, I have a preference for copper connections if I can get them  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
wallyz

Well if Telstra are listen another setting that is not been honored correctly is the :

Local Network -> Local Device IP Address.

The problem with this one is it does change the IP to what ever value specified however the DHCP server doesn't seem to know and keeps sending the wrong IP as the gateway under certain circumstances.

My testing showed that changing the IP to:

Local IP 192.168.100.2

DHCP Range 192.168.100.3 - 192.168.100.XXX

Results in clients receiving 192.168.100.1 as the gateway address by DHCP.

There is also a difference between what WiFi clients and cabled clients receive for the gateway (so be thorough and test all client connection types).

It appears to assume the router will be at *.*.*.1

cf4

Changed my LH1000 Local IP address to 192.168.178.2 and both WiFi and ethernet devices are showing 192.168.178.2 as the gateway IP address.

wallyz

@cf4 wrote:

Changed my LH1000 Local IP address to 192.168.178.2 and both WiFi and ethernet devices are showing 192.168.178.2 as the gateway IP address.

What firmware version are you on?

cf4

0.14.12r

SteveW_52

I am on 0.14.12r as well and don't have the problem you describe..  I set my modem to 192.168.XX.254 and it has never shown anything but that, as a Gateway IP on a connected device..

I can't help but wonder if your modem is not quite right..  have you tried a factory reset to see if the problem gets resolved as you set it backup again? You can save the settings and reload them after the reset, but I wouldn't recommend that given the problems you are having?

Stevo 52
wallyz

Me too, I'm on the same version, and I had to resort to manual IP setup for the cabled clients.

When using DHCP they were consistently being given a good IP address but could never connect to the internet.

It didn't take long to find the default gateway was incorrect.

I don't know what to say now!!!

wallyz

@SteveW_52 wrote:

I have never had any problem with the LH1000's staying locked on 20MHz bandwith for the 2.4GHz band. My own personal one has been set like that since I first set it up (must getting close to 2 years) and I also haven't had too many issues with the firmware updates causing problems so far - but maybe I don't spend as much time poking aroundf in the GUI's these days??  There are things I know don't work great in the GUI, but I am a bit ambivalent towards what is says incorrectly, provided the devices actually work, and work they do - for my purposes anyway. That said, I have a preference for copper connections if I can get them  Smiley Happy

I had no issue with what ever setting was in there prior to the 14.12r update.

After that update I spent a week troubleshooting until finally trying the channel width.

In addition the 13.01.r fix that fixes the ...

Manual Wi-Fi Settings Override Fix

Our modem’s software that monitors Wi-Fi stability and adjusts settings to improve the Wi-Fi experience was found to also be unintentionally overriding manual adjustments set by the user. For example, manual Wi-Fi channel selection was being overwritten. This issue should now be resolved.

Seems to have crept back in on the 14.12r firmware, because that is what I'm running and I still have the problem of continually resetting that setting.

[EDIT] I think that is a slightly different setting.  I think they are talking the channel and not channel width.

I

cf4

The channel setting was only used as an example of one of several manual settings that the monitoring software was overriding.

Is it possible that there might be another DHCP server on your network?

Could there also be another Gen 1 or Gen Smart modem on your network. If there are two Smart modems one a Technicolor and the other the LH1000 the Technicolor tends to become the master WiFi controller even when the LH1000 is the primary modem. This results in the Technicolor modem overriding any manual WiFi settings in the LH1000. 

wallyz

@cf4 wrote:

The channel setting was only used as an example of one of several manual settings that the monitoring software was overriding.

Is it possible that there might be another DHCP server on your network?

Could there also be another Gen 1 or Gen Smart modem on your network. If there are two Smart modems one a Technicolor and the other the LH1000 the Technicolor tends to become the master WiFi controller even when the LH1000 is the primary modem. This results in the Technicolor modem overriding any manual WiFi settings in the LH1000. 

Definitely not!.  I have one Wifi Router (the Smart Modem Gen 2) and nothing else. 

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - just to clarify, the Telstra Gen 2 modems do not have identical hardware inside. They do use the same WiFi chipsets for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and that is about it; their SoCs are different Broadcom models. Both case versions contain two full size PCB's and the major components are different. The Arcadyan model is made by the same company who manufacture ASUS Modems and Routers and follows their economical style of construction e.g. low profile heat sinks. The Technicolor is built to a more heavy duty construction and uses giant high profile heat sinks in comparison. Each model uses their own version of an operating system - Technicolor with Open WRT and the Arcadyan, I am not sure of but I suspect it to be derived from a version ASUS WRT (not published). Hopefully someone can confirm.

I have edited the CrowdSupport Wiki article this morning to show the major hardware differences.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/broadband-nbn/comparison-between-technicolor-dja0231-and-arca... 

Mkrtich

Hi - interesting occurrence. Per chance , is your NBN service on a HFC delivery network to your home. That IP address 192.168.100.1 is reserved and used by the black NBN Arris CM8200B modem. After installation by the NBN technician, it is not accessible by customers, which is disappointing as the Arris modem has a lot of health statistics. 

Does the same thing happen when you use another address e.g. starting with 192.168.50.2?

EladB1

Great, thanks for that !

wallyz

@Mkrtich wrote:

Hi - interesting occurrence. Per chance , is your NBN service on a HFC delivery network to your home. That IP address 192.168.100.1 is reserved and used by the black NBN Arris CM8200B modem. After installation by the NBN technician, it is not accessible by customers, which is disappointing as the Arris modem has a lot of health statistics. 

Does the same thing happen when you use another address e.g. starting with 192.168.50.2?

No.

However it is also reserved for the Telstra Gateway Max when operating in bridged mode. 

BronzeFox
Level 1: Cadet

Finally plugged a phone into my modem (lockdown & kids at home has increased demand for calls with friends), and frustrated with the telephony “misc” call control options:

1) “Do not disturb” times cannot span midnight so I can chose to not be disturbed by calls in the evening, or in the morning, but not both. For example, if I try to set DND to start at 21:00 and end at 07:00 I get the error “End time should be greater than start time!”

2) Rather than a blocklist of numbers to ignore, I’d like an option to deny all incoming calls by default, and register the numbers I’d like to accept calls from.

Any chance of getting these items addressed in a future firmware update?

I know some of this functionality is available from the Telstra Call Guardian phones but I specifically do not want a cordless phone and the Call Guardian 302 seems to be disconnected.

wallyz

Since the 14.12r update I have been unable to connect any 2.4GHZ devices (my LG watch, my PS3, PSvita, 2 x Nokia 2.3, etc) to the Arcadyan.

I can resolve the issue temporarily by changing the Channel Width setting from Auto 20/40mhz to 20mhz but the optimizer keeps disrespecting and dishonoring my setting and changing it back after about 30 minutes at which time I lose all my 2.4 ghz devices again.

Is there a way I can disable the optimizer?  This is beyond a usable product at the moment!

Mkrtich

Hi - your modem may have suffered a corruption in its upgrade to the latest firmware and it may be worth requesting Telstra to provide a replacement. I leave mine on Auto(20/40Mhz) and have had no issues since my original 0.07.05r firmware in late 2019. My understanding is that it will only dynamically use the additional 20Mhz extension bandwidth if it is available and adjust downwards if other devices wish to connect.  

Is Protected Management Frames (PMF) disabled in the 2.4 GHz Radio page only (leave it ON in the 5Ghz)  - the modem's PMF implementation setting is suppose to accommodate legacy or newer low level 2.4 Ghz only devices which don't support PMF in 2.4 Ghz , however we have seen postings where once  PMF was disabled, it allowed 2.4Ghz devices to connect. Same applies with WPA+WPA2 Encryption change. 

Given you had no problems with 0.13.01r, perhaps the PMF implementation rules have changed to Strict adherence or your modem has a corruption/fault - not sure if Telstra will remotely reload 0.14.12r firmware for you on request. 

wallyz

Mkrtich.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried disabling PMF setting and the results are only temporary.  It works for a short while only. It appears the optimizer is doing what ever it wants with no regard to many of the settings.  So changing any setting causes the router to partially reset and work for a short while until the optimizer breaks things again.  Changing a setting every 20-60mins to make the router work again is not acceptable.

wallyz

Mkrtich

So I agree with you that the Auto(20/40mhz) setting should not affect anything and now I'm telling you the PMF setting should not affect anything either.  Why? Because it's not a setting that is at fault.  What ever settings we choose will make the device work for a short time.  The problem is not the settings it's the optimizer breaking something.

I've spent man hour weeks troubleshooting every setting on this device and my conclusion is that it is not the settings.  Because anyway way you set them on or off fixes the issue for a short time.  I can get the device to work by changing the device from Auto(20/40) and without saving change it back to Auto(20/40) and then saving and the device starts working for a short time (so effectively I made no change).  It's simply changing a setting and overriding the optimizer that is temporarily fixing the problem.

So let me repeat my original question is there a way I can disable the optimizer?

Mkrtich

@wallyz Not to my knowledge or experience. It appears to me that one of the core features of your modem i.e. Wi-Fi, is unusable and Telstra either need to reload its firmware remotely or replace the modem - suggest you ask to be transferred to a Telstra Platinum support agent who will remote into your modem and determine if that will fix the problem. Usually, this would do this at nil charge if the modem is found to be at fault or they may supply you with a free replacement.

If Wi-Fi Doctor is the cause of the problem, there is no way of disabling it as a user as it is a Telstra Artificial Intelligence Cloud Driven service which applies to both Technicolor and Arcadyan versions of the Gen 2 modems.

If the prospect of dealing with the Call Centre frustrates you, Gumtree usually has new unused ones for sale under $50. If you acquire one of these, suggest you leave it on for the first 15-20 minutes before you use it. That hopefully will allow it to self auto update firmware before usage in order to minimise the possibility of a corruption. 

TImMcMahon

Did the 0.14.12r update for Smart Modem Gen 2 fix a security vulnerability CVE-2021-20090 so that people can't access the modem without authentication?

https://www.tenable.com/security/research/tra-2021-13

vnt

ScHwAnG

Critical vulnerability in Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (LH1000)

Hi,

As per disclosure CVE-2021-20090, Tenable has confirmed there exists a remotely exploitable critical vulnerability in the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (LH1000): https://www.tenable.com/security/research/tra-2021-13.

Can you confirm what firmware release resolves these vulnerabilities, and if they are not resolved, when the firmware will be made available?

Monty4k

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2's vulnerability cve

Is the vulnerability CVE-2021-20090 fixed with this Firmware update 0.14.12.r? Vulnerability is discussed here https://borncity.com/win/2021/08/02/authentifizierungsschwachstelle-cve-2021-20090-bei-arcadyan-basi...

BurboP

Hi ashliem,

Despite the Firmware Updates page indicating that the latest firmware for the Arcadyan LH1000 is v0.14.12r, my modem and others are still running with v0.13.01r.

The v0.13.01r firmware on the Arcadyan LH1000 has been cited as vulnerable to an 'Authentication Bypass Issue'.  See https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/120908/hacking/cve-2021-20090-iot-attacks.html . 

Given that situation I am wondering WHY the Support lines indicate that my modem is running the correct version, even though others on Crowd Support have indicated that their modems auto-updated to v0.14.12r.  Platinum Support even stated that they had no record of v0.14.12r ?????   I can only assume that v0.14.12r was 'pulled' from distribution for some reason.  Its a pity that status is not indicated within the Firmware Notes pages.

I assume Telstra is keen to ensure that its customers are not vulnerable to the security issue mentioned above, therefore can you please indicate when a new version of the firmware will be deployed.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
BurboP
Mkrtich

Hi @BurboP - Ashliem is working in another role within Telstra so may not see your post. My Arcadyan upgraded to 0.14.12r on the 11th May 2021 - over three months ago. I am not aware of it being rolled back and understand that it is at a mainstream general release status. 

How Telstra manages its upgrade rollout remains a mystery to most of us. I have read a post where it stated that 5,000 modems per night are done in batches ( I did the maths as to how long 1,000,000 + modems would take to do!),  I have experienced immediate updates when connecting new modems, I have experienced sporadic updates after waiting three months, I have experienced updates after resetting or factory resetting modem 5 times in a row. Nothing is consistent. In stark contrast with Optus whereby if you power reset the modem it will generally update straight away if it is out of date.

@Gamgees - would you please refer the above post to Product Management for a response - two issues

1. Does 0.14.12r address the current CVE which identified 0.13.01r as vulnerable. People are concerned about the current CVE that pin points 0.13.01r as vulnerable to Bypass of the Authentication Challenge for Remote Access and although it seems to impact those users who have set up controlled remote access only , it still raises concerns for people in general. 

3. Can users confidently contact Telstra to get them to manually upgrade their firmware when the Telstra ACS fails to update their firmware. The Platinum support interaction quoted above in regards to 0.13.01r as current appears inconsistent to realities experienced in the field. Thanks.

BurboP

Hi @Mkrtich 

Thank you for the explanations and escalation.  Your summary of the two issues are exactly right.

In a past life I was involved with desktop software distribution within Telstra. Knowing how a deployment was progressing was very important, as well as being able to identify missed targets so that corrective actions could be undertaken.

Again thanks for your input.

Regards
BurboP
BurboP

Hi @Mkrtich 

As reported elsewhere my LH1000 updated to v0.13.01r but still refuses to update to v0.14.12r, so it looks like the issues above that you referred to @Gamgees, may have fallen on deaf ears.

I escalated my initial Support call Platinum Support without any further investigation than received by Level 1 support.  I then escalated to a Complaint Manager (based overseas) who arranged a replacement modem, but is still on the case.  This replacement modem ran v0.09xxx firmware out-of-box and was progressively updated to v0.13.01r over a period of approx 6 hours, but again it too refuses to update to v0.14.12r.  At no time has any Telstra person indicated that a 'push' deployment is possible, as they all say it is automatic.

Based on that experience, it seems that v0.14.12r is no longer being flagged as the latest version.  That means that we remain exposed to the current CVE.

Regards
BurboP
JohnDodson

Sorry to ask this here, but it seems manual updates are a real problem...

Is there a way I can get a firmware update for the M35H

wifi boosters that I have on a non internet connected network?

I've tried putting them on a connected network & they just twiddle their

thumbs waiting for a response from a server that's probably gone away!

Even the last known good firmware would be better than I have

(1.01.27-01) I expect.

Mkrtich

Hi - I have found with experience that Telstra's communication protocols make these matters take a while to be reviewed and approved by a committee before a statement is issued. I have read posts where Telstra Platinum Support manually update problem modems remotely and I have also read posts where they can roll it back to stabilise a significant problem unit it fixed in the next version or patch; sometimes the fix has been to send the Technicolor version of the Gen 2 modem to the customer. 

I have also witnessed a Gen 2 modem do successive updates, some times three to four, one after another, then it rests and does later ones some time in the future. I have also experienced what I call 'leap-frog' updates where it goes from the existing version to one that is two versions ahead. It may be that the Telstra Upgrade Server has some limit on the number of levels it upgrades - pure supposition.

I have two LH:1000 modems on 0.14.12r - one updated on 11-05-2021 2.42 AM and the other on 12-05-2021 at 4:05 AM - I am not aware of any status changes in regards to this platform. It is frustrating that we can't manually update the firmware ourselves but I have found on both Gen 2 modems that after waiting 6-8 weeks of general release, it eventually updates - it's like winning the lottery. 

Based on previous frequency of updates being pushed out which appears to be every three months or so, I am half expecting a 0.15.xx.r to come our way next few months. From my modem history file records

0.10.05r on 25-02-2020

0.11.08r on 26-06-2020

0.11.11r on 22-07-2020

0.12.09r on 18-09-2020

0.12.15r on 12-11-2020

0.13.01r on 28-01-2021

0.14.12r on 11-05-2021

Mkrtich

Hi - do you have the previous Disc version of the Telstra Wi-Fi Booster or the current Rectangular model M35H-MAP ? I don't recognise the version in your post. Will check. 

The Telstra Gen 2 modems act as the Manager for their EasyMesh Wi-Fi networks and treat the remote Boosters as Agents, so as I understand it, the modem will usually update the Booster if required. 

My Arcadyan shows the following when it updated on the 11 May 2021 - the WiFi Booster has been on that level since 12-11-2020. 

11.05.2021 02:44:56 TR069: Got agent software settings. Model:WE410443B-TA SWVersion:2.02.64_01 EligibleSWVersion: URL:http://fwstore.bdms.telstra.net/Arcadyan_LH1000_Boosters_2.02.64_01/WE410443B-TA_2.02.64_01_aldk_uIm...

Sometimes these Boosters misbehave - there is a very good video on YouTube showing you how to install the current WiFi Booster.

JohnDodson

Sadly I have a lot (4 pairs) of the older disc ones.

It seems that all the instructions for the old ones that were on the Telstra website

have disappeared, as has the firmware update location I used to use (5 years ago)

I think!

Although your link above says it's still around, just different & working out the

name of the file I'd need an interesting exercise in logical prediction (Guessing).

Telstra now say they are "not supported" - thanks telstra!

Pressing the "Check" (firmware update) on a "connected" device shows the

ubiquitous whirling dirvish for hours or until the connection to the device web interface

times out.

Misbehave is I think an understatement - but then it's predictable from the "telstra"

controller perspective & it's bug-list, just not a deterministic animal from the user

perspective.

Mkrtich

Hi - My understanding is that the Telstra WiFi Booster Gen 1 has a different Management Controller arrangement compared to the Gen 2 version. The first Disc that is wired to the modem is the Management Controller for the whole Mesh Network. It will activate its Manager and Agent modules to communicate with the Remote Boosters who will then be configured as Agents only.

I don't have any experience with the Gen 1 Booster - have you attempted to Power Reset or Factory Reset the first Disc in your network to see if an update happens or does the Telstra Home Dashboard App have a firmware update option to select. I take it you have two Wi-Fi networks each having the maximum of four Discs or you have excess spares.

I have suspected the hardware inside both types is the same - they have the same external knockouts and LED positions, just the exterior form factor is different.

The WE410443-TS code belongs to the Canadian Carrier Hughes-Telus - Disc version.

The WE410443B-TA code belongs to Telstra Australia Gen 2 model, perhaps the B signifying different firmware which removes the Management Controller from the software, making it totally dependent on the host Telstra Gen 1.1 or Gen 2 modem.

In December 2020, Spark NZ updated their Disc versions from FW: 1.00.04 to 1.00.08 and like Telstra have removed any information on the Disc version early this year as they now only show the Gen 2 version on their web sites. So you may have the last firmware version with your (1.01.27-01). 

As a matter of interest, are you linking your PC direct to the Booster or via the Primary Telstra Modem to view the Admin screens that relate to the Booster?

JohnDodson

The hardware versions are WE410443-TA-01.

The (usually linux/Mac never windows) PC I'm using to access them has 2 interfaces, one to the unrouted

network some are on.

When moved to the routed net (to try an update which failed) the devices can get "captured" by another

controller - so I usually turn them off in that case.

My Primary telstra modem is Gen2 the Disc's would be Gen 1 they don't (hopefully) connect/get controlled

by the Primary modem.

Access to them (Discs) is/was direct to their IP (when there are 2 connecting to either IP results in a connection to the "controller" & actions seem to act on both.

So how I access individual access screens depends - I found that powering them individually "wired" & resetting each in turn was the only way to get them to play nicely if they misbehave.

Maybe now they are old & vulnerable!

Mkrtich

Thanks for providing your configuration details. May I ask, have you ever had a TG799, TG800, F@ST5355 or a Technicolor DJA2130 modem previously as your primary modem and later replaced it with a Gen 2 modem - I take it that is what you mean by a routed network.

My understanding is that the Gen 2 Boosters are not formally compatible with the Gen 1 Wi-Fi Boosters per the Telstra FAQ, so wondering if that was the case, the reason being is there are two different Mesh networks at play - Smart Mesh ( proprietary Arcadyan - dedicated Booster as Manager Controller only) and EasyMesh (WiFi Alliance Certified made by Arcadyan - embedded Manager Controller in modem). The software is different for both types.

Taking that further, a Mesh Network can only have one Manager Controller on the same LAN - you would have two types of Mesh in your setup and maybe there is a conflict between both Management Controllers that arises randomly. I know from experiments with Gen 2 modems when activating them in either Access Point mode or different subnets, unexpected thing can occur. I have had unexplained MAC address swap over exchange between the modems, Phone port transferred to secondary modem, SOS on inactive Phone port, different LED colours and the secondary modem shows up as a Booster on the network map. I suspect one of the modems somehow has to determine who is the boss Manager Controller. Open source software is never mature on modems and strange things happen. 

Do you have any of the aforementioned modems from previous times to test if they stabilise your configuration?  

JohnDodson

All those modems are gone now. There is only 1 gen2 modem

Yes, the routed net is the one on the Gen2 modem - I have no Gen2 boosters, just Gen1.

As long as the routed net boosters are off when I connect the non routed boosters to the routed net to try to

update them all is fine - if one of each of the pairs are wired on the same net trouble ensues, they can inherit the other's config - obviously a case of the "declared master" knowing best - but I've not had

that problem since originally installing them in 2 physical locations on the same net years ago.

Recently I got some "spares" & in testing them had the problem of them inheriting the WLAN SSID from whence they came, they are now "fixed" but I still wonder about the firmware version.

TwoS1

My update history is pretty close to what you experienced Mkrtich

ie

0.10.05 on 12/3/20

0.11.11 on 14/7/20

0.12.09 on 12/9/20

0.12.15 on 9/11/20

0.13.01 on 29/1/21

0.14.12 on 11/5/21

I did not see 0.11.08, probably because I was having TR069 connection problems around that time.

I would not be surprised that another update is imminent - I gather the Techno variants had an update only fairly recently, mainly to get rid of the Telstra Air, so I assume that will happen for the Arc ones as well.

So at version 0.14.12r, and still experiencing the random incorrect and changing display of active ethernet devices as mentioned before.In the log get a fair few disconnect/connect entries for the port that PC connects to, and have had a few disconnects for security camera hub port. Also recently had a few WAN port 0 disconnects.

The time before last when I did a reset to factory defaults, I followed up with a reboot of the modem, which resulted in all ethernet connected devices disappearing completely (whether active or not) from all screens.

I did another factory reset, but this time did not follow up with a reboot.

Unfortunately the other morning about 04:20 had a restart (may have been power flick as lightning etc at the time, but no other clocks etc in house reset?).

Once again all reference to ethernet devices has disappeared.

Whether in Basic or Advanced view, Home screen or Devices tab , or Local Network / Devices, they are all blank as far as ethernet devices are concerned (Wi-Fi devices fine and updating correctly). Ethernet devices are working OK, just nothing is shown in GUI.

Time for another reset to factory defaults I guess, just have to find a suitable time what with people working from home during the day, and streaming at night etc.

This reboot also seemed to trigger an increase in Wi-Fi Booster disconnect/connect entries in log file - soundbar had a couple of sessions where it went into a disconnect/connect loop. Seems to have settled down now, just getting "normal" Wi-Fi Booster messages when someone with a smart watch comes or goes

Mkrtich

Hi - thanks for providing your feedback.  I can't remember in  your previous posts if you have attempted to request Telstra to supply you with a replacement modem after speaking with Platinum Support. I would think with those anomalies that the firmware has been corrupted beyond any remedial factory reset process. One would expect that a replacement modem provided by Telstra or sourced from Gumtree upgraded to 0.14.12r would not have the same symptoms - sometimes certain Wi-Fi enabled devices cause unexpected outcomes and modem peculiarities to occur.

One would also be optimistic about the next firmware hopefully overwriting the corrupted firmware successfully and not regenerate the problems currently being experienced but acknowledge the frustration of living with these imperfections in the interim period. 

TwoS1

At this stage Mkritch I have not tried to get a replacement.

As the SM2 is working basically,. I have a feeling that it would be a bit of a frustrating exercise trying to convince the help desk it should be replaced. Also if they did agree to replace it, I would rather push for a Techno version - it seems this is not possible, and you just get sent what is in the warehouse at the time.

As an aside, I had been seriously considering getting an aftermarket router to replace the SM2. Recently their were some very good deals on the Asus RT-AX86u. If I had found out about them before they finished, I believe I would have jumped - unfortunately prices have gone back up to normal. Bit of a moot point anyhow as stock seems to be almost non existent.

At this stage I will just carry on with the SM2 (and do a factory reset when able to), and hold out till the next firmware update. If there are still issues then, I may have to go down the route of trying for a replacement.

cheers

JohnDodson

Isn't it sad that most telstra customers think this way...

I have a feeling that it would be a bit of a frustrating exercise trying to convince the help desk

it should be replaced.

But worse that it's so true!

I recently have had incredibly frustrating calls/chats to telstra - they just don't read previous notes &

pass you on.

Is there a forum for telstra performance discussion?

Meanwhile does anyone know if an index to the firmware update site exists?

So you can do a manual update without guessing the update version.

That might answer one of my previous questions. The site suggested by Mkrtich,

http://fwstore.bdms.telstra.net/

where his modem last updated from is forbidden unless you specify an image that is there.

Mkrtich

Hi - have you successfully manually updated the WiFi Boosters Gen 1 in the past?

Based on historical Telstra policy, I would be surprised that Telstra would support that function on their equipment even if there is a menu option to select within the GUI screen - unaware. Alternatively and hypothetically, even if you had the link to the fwstore showing within the Booster's Event Log text file dump to guide you to the correct area and were able to download the next version, if it exists, unless you have root access to the core system and Linux skills, I can't see how you would be able to update it without a working screen option, hence the first sentence.

I haven't seen the Booster's GUI screens and don't know if it supports a TFTP Server for manual firmware updates which can only happen if the Booster is put into a ready state to accept the firmware. I also think your configuration being outside the design elements of the Gen 2 modem and the Gen 1 Boosters not being matched correctly may explain a disinterest from official Telstra support.  

TwoS1

Just an update

Did a reset to factory defaults, and then manually input my personal settings.

Ethernet devices now visible again, albeit with the old issue of active devices not being shown as such correctly and randomly. Seemed to be more TR069 sessions than I remember with previous resets (some of which failed at connection).

Regarding a firmware update, reports over on Whirlpool seem to indicate that the release of 0.15.16r has started.

JohnDodson

Ah - don't you love telstra policy? driven by management that don't have a technical bone in their body & in the false belief that it improves the share price.

The booster's gui screen (web page) does give a manual update option to do a firmware update, sadly it seems

telstra either don't want that happening for marketing or technical (unlikely that could really be justified or  that

there is even a technical reason) reasons.

I've managed to send an email to telstra CC'd to andy.penn@team.telstra.com which seems to have had the desired effect of getting some attention on my many problems with telstra. (this is just one of a long list)

I also hear they will be moving all  helpdesk services back to australia which might be good news.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more