Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

DJA0231 Firmware not updating?

Hi there,

I have a Smart gen 2 DJA0231 modem which is stuck on Firmware 18.1.c.0347-950-RC.

Is there a reason why my unit is not receiving any updates?

Can I request an update be pushed to my device? FWIW, I am not using the device with another ISP - could that be the reason why? 

Thank you @343GuiltySpark 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: DJA0231 Firmware not updating?

I have the same problem.  I purchased the same modem from a Telstra shop last Wednesday 15th July, plugged it in and got it set up properly on Telstra FTTN.  My firmware is identical to that above.  From technical documents on this modem (found elsewhere in crowdsupport) it appears this firmware was released 13th June 2019.

My modem has been up for a number of days now, and still no update.

Is it possible that Telstra firmware updates only have a limited rollout window?  Meaning, if you miss a possibly limited time that firmware is available, you have to wait until the next version is pushed out?  Can you make a special request for an update?

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

There is no time period on firmware updates. When the modem is first connected it should download and install all the firmware updates  this can involve the modem rebooting several times as it installs the updates. Is the modem on 4G backup which would be indicated by light on front of modem being blue? If on 4G backup this might prevent updates being downloaded.

Highlighted

Thanks @cf4 . When I first connected the modem it did a few reboots which I assumed was firmware updates.  This all took about 20-30 minutes.  When it gave me a stable connection, I logged in to the modem and saw the mobile section was doing an update.  When this finished it said SIM not detected and the Mobile Signal LED was off, so I did a manual reboot, and the modem connected up with ALL LED's green except Mobile Mode LED is off.  So at no time has the modem been running off 4G backup.

Uptime now is 4 days with no problems.

Modem is DJA0231TLS Rev009 with firmware 18.1.c.0347-950-RC and hardware version VCNT-A

I have been on Telstra FTTN for almost 3 years and was replacing a Gateway Max 2 that was giving me other issues.

I have heard a rumor that an unnamed ISP was recently updating customers modems over the NBN which resulted in loss of connectivity.  Maybe that ISP has pulled firmware updates?  Total speculation of course.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Highlighted

@MTBnut Suggest you try factory resetting modem and if that doesn't work contact support and request they push an update to your modem. Support will be very reluctant to update the firmware. Most probably don't know how to do it and you might have to politely insist they escalate the fault to some one who can push the update to your modem. They might refer you to platinum support who charge a fee for service but as it is a fault with modem you should not have to pay.

Highlighted

Thanks @cf4 

I contacted support first.  Had to do it by messaging as they are not taking voice calls.  They checked my modem details and responded by saying "we cannot update to latest firmware, as that may effect the services".  When I pushed for further technical explanation they said "as of now there is no latest firmware updates, but soon updates are to be released most probably by next month" and they requested I wait.

I can only try and read between the lines and guess they are having issues that are waiting to be resolved.  I found the unofficial manual you wrote for this modem and found it very helpful.

I forgot to add that for the last week, the modem has been operating with no faults at all.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - firmware updates appear to occur sometimes in silent mode, you don't know they have occurred until you log in to check the status, other times you may be lucky by Restarting the modem a few times, then sometimes a Factory Reset gets an unexpected positive outcome. It appears there are many versions of the Technicolor firmware which get posted on the forum and from my experience it is more likely a randomised event which occurs when the modem initiates communication to the Telstra Control site for a check up - you can view these activities in the Event Log TR069 line entries. 

I acquired an unused DJA0231 on 11 May 2020 and configured it as a second modem which sits behind an Arcadyan LH:1000 to create two separate networks  - it came with 18.1.c 0215-950RA. I Restarted it a few times and it went to 18.1.c 0347-950RA. I then Factory Reset it once and it did not update, then another Factory Reset and it went to 18.1.037-950RC where it stayed until 6 June 2020. On that day it did what I call a leapfrog update, bypassing other versions posted on the forum 18.1.c 0384-950RB, 18.1.c 0429-950RA, 18.1.c 0443-950RA and went straight to 18.1.c 0462-950 RA. On the 7th June 2020 it auto updated itself to 18.1.c 0462-950 RB where it is currently at. There is a newer version 18.1c 0514-950-RA which has yet to present itself. 

Each time I have experienced an update, I had the  modem directly connected to the Internet via the NBN HFC, temporarily turning off the Arcadyan. I have also seen an Arcadyan update its firmware when it was in 4G Back Up mode. Its a pain from a re-programming point of view, but I think the Factory Reset has been the most successful way from my experience - I usually do it from with the modem's GUI screen rather than the paperclip method. 

As a matter of interest, where are you seeing the Revision state of the modem showing Rev 009 - I can't see that on my screens?

Highlighted

@Mkrtich  Hardware revision info is located on the box the modem's box.

Highlighted

Thanks. Mine is also a Rev 009. 

Highlighted

Thanks for your help @Mkrtich I performed a factory reset via the modem GUI as you do.  Modem did  2 reboots and was finished and stable after 10 minutes.  Unfortunately, no firmware update occurred and still remains at 18.1.c.0347-950-RC.  Although I wish to have the latest firmware, I can detect no problems with the normal operation of the modem.  The only non-factory configuration I use is a DynDNS service, and a couple of static leases on my local LAN.

It could be possible that from what Telstra support told me yesterday, firmware updates are temporarily suspended until the next one possibly next month.  I regularly check each day to see if an update has occurred overnight.  I can't find anywhere on Telstra sites an official changelog for modem updates.

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

I set up a DJA0231Gen2 on ADSL yesterday 22 July.  It has updated its firmware to 18.c.1.0.0514-950-RB automatically.  It also is Rev.009 hardware.

The update appears to have taken place overnight.

Highlighted

Thanks for posting your version. Will add that to my records of known firmware releases. They certainly are happening on a very regular basis, which hopefully should be a good thing.  

Highlighted

MTBnut - The only time I have seen a firmware version suspended is when there was something wrong with that release i.e. having caused problems with early recipients of the software, it became suspended and replaced with a later version. I don't think that applies to your version as there have been many versions released since it was original in field. At one stage, updates were successive, so it surprised me when mine leap-frogged - it had a lot of action like yours, so perhaps successive build ups were occurring during the prolonged period. There are probably maybe 1 million Telstra modems of various makes and models in the field, so it may take a while for all modems to get whatever auto refresh applies to them. 

Perhaps try keep doing a Factory Reset once a week to see if it kick starts the upgrade. 

Highlighted

Hi @Mkrtich.  It looks like the factory reset yesterday did the trick.  My modem updated to 18.1.c.0514-950-RB overnight (at 00:30 this morning to be precise).  Interesting how it didn't update immediately after the factory reset, but waited until the next 12am-6am window.  This is the same firmware that @Vitara received yesterday.

This may have nothing to do with it, but I noticed that for the week prior to the factory reset, my public (WAN) IP was in the range 101.xxx.xxx.xxx whereas after the factory reset reboot, my public IP was in the range 110.xxx.xxx.xxx.  The 110 range gives me about 10-15% faster download speeds than the 101 range.  This may indicate different hardware in the Telstra POI exchange.  Whether Telstra are not making updates available from the 101 range, I'll never guess.  I'm on a Telstra NBN50 plan using FTTN and get reliable download speeds of 46Mbps (101 range) and 53Mbps (110 range).  If I power the modem off for 2 minutes or more, it will boot to the 101 range, but if I do either a soft restart, or factory reset, it will boot to the 110 range.  This must have something to do with Telstra's DHCP servers.

After what Telstra NBN tech support told me last Wednesday about no new firmware being available, I'm not exactly filled with confidence about their help centre staff.

Highlighted

Well that is great news! Congratulations. Interesting observation regarding the different WAN IP addresses. I have also found in the Event Logs that some upgrades occurred just after midnight as well some times. It seems that if your modem is substantially behind the current version, catch up downloads of successive versions may be done in background, triggered from Factory Reset attempts, but not activated until the final one kicks in and you are elevated to whatever the current one is at the time. All supposition. Hopefully all is well. 

Highlighted

Must be good karma in the air - my DJA0231 updated to 18,1,c 514-950 RB as well last night automatically all by itself whilst connected as a secondary modem behind the Arcadyan LH:1000. Handy to know that works as well. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more