jim6111
Level 1: Cadet

DJA0231 Gen2 WIFI Booster Without lan cable connection?

Answered

Hi, I have two Gen 2 DJA0231 modems and a Telstra WIFI Range Extender, I need to extend my WIFI range further.  Can I use one DJA0231 as the main modem and the other as a WIFI Range extender without connecting them by LAN Cable? Then pick up the range extender to give me the reach I need?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: DJA0231 Gen2 WIFI Booster Without lan cable connection?

The suggestion from @cf4 to use the Smt Wi-Fi Booster option is worth considering. I have 3 boosters, one of them is connected by Wi-Fi because it is close and covers an extrernal area. The other two are set up on Etherenet over power links to give good wif-fi performance in a couple of areas of the house. I used high quality, 2000 Mbs links and it was a bit tricky getting the two boosters to work properly bu on master EoP unit at the modem and one slave at each booster fixed that. I actually have a small switch at one booster location to provide a few copper links for audio and printers. On the WI=Fi connected one I run a small switch of the booster ethernet port for copper connection in the shed of the outdoor area. It is workable and manageable for my needs and avoids long network cables if that is a stumbling block for you..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
jim6111

I should mention that both modems are Technicolor

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

With the standard Telstra Firmware you can't use the DJA0231 as a Wi-Fi range extender. It can only be used as a Wi-Fi access point connected by LAN cable to main modem. The Telstra firmware hides a lot of the modem's settings. There is custom firmware that will unhide all the settings including settings that allow modem to be used as an Wi-Fi range extender. It is not an easy process to install custom firmware. To find more information search for Technicolor custom firmware on Whirlpool.

It would be simpler to use a Telstra Wi-Fi booster costing $298 or 70,000 Telstra plus points. You get up to three extra booster if one does not provide the coverage required for your premises.

Smart Wi-Fi Booster from Telstra

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

The suggestion from @cf4 to use the Smt Wi-Fi Booster option is worth considering. I have 3 boosters, one of them is connected by Wi-Fi because it is close and covers an extrernal area. The other two are set up on Etherenet over power links to give good wif-fi performance in a couple of areas of the house. I used high quality, 2000 Mbs links and it was a bit tricky getting the two boosters to work properly bu on master EoP unit at the modem and one slave at each booster fixed that. I actually have a small switch at one booster location to provide a few copper links for audio and printers. On the WI=Fi connected one I run a small switch of the booster ethernet port for copper connection in the shed of the outdoor area. It is workable and manageable for my needs and avoids long network cables if that is a stumbling block for you..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

View solution in original post

jim6111

Thanks cf4, I thought so.

jim6111

Eureka, I forgot all about Ethernet over power.  Thanks 

SteveW_52

Just make sure you get quality EoP devices - the ones I have in place are rated at 2000mbps..

Stevo 52

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more