MTBnut
Level 4: Private Eye

DJA0231 New firmware has broken Log Export function

My Smart Modem DJA0231 was updated to the latest firmware last night 20.3.c.0389-MR20-RA.  All went o,k, except I have discovered that in Diagnostics->Log Viewer->Export All, the log.txt file written only contains about the first 1 minute of logs since reboot.  The log.txt file is about 213kb in length no matter when you export it.  Previously, Export All wrote a sliding window of logs of about 4-5 days and was about 4600kb in length.

Hard rebooting of the modem does not fix the problem.

Anyone else seen this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: DJA0231 New firmware has broken Log Export function

Have you power cycled the modem since the update?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
MTBnut

Yes I power cycled the modem a few hours after the update. That is what I meant above by saying I'd done a hard reboot. 

SteveW_52

Have you tried a factory reset? Hopefully you have saved any setting changes you have made.

I haven't seen that update on any of my DJA0231 devices yet.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - a power reset will clear the Log Events file on the Technicolor DJA0231 and also wipe any custom modem settings that a user may have done - that would explain why you have limited events showing. It also has no ability to SAVE the modem configuration as a file and to reload it.

The Arcdayan version keeps log events after power resets - I have seen them up to maybe three months worth and any power resets are indicated by the date cycling back to 2012 during the install process and then reverting back to current date. You can also SAVE the modem configuration as a file and to reload it.

MTBnut

Thanks.  I've had many firmware updates in the 18 months I've had this DJA0231 and the Log Export function has always behaved the same way until now.

Whether a soft reboot initiated by the firmware update, or a manual reboot by cycling the power, this always clears the event log.  Custom setting are always unaffected...they will only be wiped by a factory reset.  You are correct, there doesn't appear to be any way to save custom settings.  That is why I am loathe to do a factory reset unless absolutely necessary.  I have static leases, DynDNS, and other special WiFi settings that I don't want to go through the pain of setting up again.

Following any reboot the event log begins to fill up from zero to a maximum length of about 4 days worth of events.  During that 4 days any Export All action will save a Log.txt file to my PC that increases in length each time you save it.  The first entry in the log is the modem CPU boot entry, and the last entry is current at the time of export.  After 4 days (within a few hours) the log appears to have filled its internal buffer and contains only the last 4 days of events - a sliding window that is current at the time of export.  Subsequent Export All actions then produce only the last 4 days of events in the Log.txt file.

This latest firmware still clears the log during a reboot, but is only exporting the first 50 seconds of log events beginning at CPU boot, and ending at the same point every time you export the log.  So the length and content of the log file is the same every time I export it.  It doesn't grow in length as it should.  I am wondering if the 4 day log buffer is still filling behind the scenes, but the Export function won't export all of it.  I won't know anything more until 4 days have elapsed since my last reboot (28 hours ago), and PERHAPS the 50-second snapshot begins to advance.

This all smells strongly of a firmware bug in the log export function.  I don't know of any other way to make Telstra software developers aware of this. 

Mkrtich

Thanks for your feedback. I will connect a DJA0231 to my home network and check its log files on a regular basis for a week or so and report back - I only bring it out for occasional experiments and tests. I am not sure if the Netduma Game Optimiser OS takes up significant memory space if inactivated or if it is a compressed file and is only a factor when activated or decompressed if applicable. Strangely, according to Whirlpool posts,  the DJA0230 predecessor, has twice the memory of the current model. 

MTBnut

Now that my DJA0231 has been going 4 days since last boot, I've been able to get a better idea of how the Log Export All function is working with this new firmware.  In steady-state conditions, the buffer now contains about the last 36 hours of events, instead of 4 days as previously.  The problem still exists that the Export All function only writes 213kb to the log.txt file, not the entire buffer contents as it used to.  This amounts to about 100 minutes of events in steady-state conditions, and about the first 60 seconds of events during modem bootup.  213kb in 100 minutes extrapolates to about 4600kb in 36 hours, which is the size of the file that Export All previously produced.

So, if 4600kb is the size of the allocated buffer (as it used to be) and it fills up in 36 hours, as opposed to 4 days previously, you can only assume that the events log has become much more verbose.  In fact, you can see this when you compare current log files with previous firmware version log files.

I still can't understand why Export All doesn't write the entire buffer as it used to.  It's either a firmware bug, or an obscure idea from Telstra developers.

Mkrtich

Thanks for your observations - I have just noticed my firmware is not as up to date as yours - it is still on  20.3.c.0389-MR19-RB which may explain the behaviour you are experiencing. I didn't realise there was a new firmware release until I read another OP this morning which stated that the new version now has a QoS function visible. I will leave the modem connected and see if it updates this week. It has been on for 53 hours so far. 

Mkrtich

@MTBnut - Something has definitely changed with the DJA0231 over the past two firmware versions. My test modem is one version behind with 20.3.c.0389-MR19-RB and I had it connected for 4 days 20 Hours and 55 mins but I only see 19 Hours and 45 minutes in my Log Viewer Export File, confirming your 4 day limit observation. I don't remember it being so limited on 18.1.c versions prior to that but I haven't been tracking duration - I usually SAVE a text file when the modem upgrades and not focused on the duration periods.

The Whirlpool Technicolor Discussion forum posts also indicate the DJA0230 with same current 20.3.c.0389-MR20-RA firmware has significantly decreased RAM size availability and it has nearly twice the RAM of the DJA0231. It seems to be variable with that user reporting 14 MB free sometimes and 126 MB free other times. 

I was out most of yesterday, so the majority of entries where made when system was idle. The only entry I picked up in the log that related to memory was this one. 

[Add 'memfree' with value '31932' to auxiliary data] I don't know if that relates to the modem's Log file, as a client, or an instruction to Telstra's nginx Server - it showed heaps of entries with [daemon.err.nginx Post without CSRF token] which I take it was not required for reporting back to the nginx Server, maybe?

Other interesting observation, I turned OFF WiFi and 4G LTE but had outgoing WiFi Doctor reports from the modem back to the cloud URL [ https://coll-telstraproduct.telstra.wifi-doctor.org/ sending 1590 bytes] 

Mkrtich

Hi - my test modem updated to 20.3.c.0389-MR20-RA this morning at 1.14:37:02. The Modem tile showed it was up 3 hours 54 mins and 4 seconds, so as usual, I logged in to the GUI screen at 04.46:44 expecting to see log entries showing the the events prior to the update, the update showing all software number entries for the modem and the EasyMesh MAP software and then the after update records but all I got to see was 45 seconds of log entries finishing at 1.14:37:47. No software level entries or the auto Restart lines that the modem does which kicks the time lines into 2018 whilst it is doing the update.

So definitely a bug or change. I have Restarted the modem from the GUI screen and will leave it on streaming view to see what happens, then check out the log this evening. I have also picked up a few interesting entries which relate to QoS and I will copy you into that thread Reply. 

Mkrtich

Just a follow up on my experiences with the DJA0231 and the DJA0230 Log Viewer/Export All function. I have come to the conclusion that the modem's CPU and memory management does not prioritise this function, (or treats it with contempt) consequently I see varying results that indicate over writing of events which are absent from view. 

DJA0231 -

[i] After 26-11-2021 update to 20.3.c.0389-MR20-RA,  log(10).txt showed 23 minutes - 1060 lines when modem uptime was 15 hours 10 mins.

[ii] On 27-11-2021, after a 24 hour observation period, log(11).txt showed 8 hours and 20 mins of events with 10672 lines prefixed with 47 seconds of entries dated 12-11-2021 (?) and 2023 lines.  

Gave up with DJA0231 and connected DJA0230 to obtain and update to 20.3.c.0389-MR20-RA. It supposed to have twice the memory of the DJA0231 but it also appears afflicted with the same symptoms.

[i] On 28-11-2021, after a 24 hour observation period, log(12).txt showed 6 hours and 40 mins of events with 18612 lines. 

[ii]  On 29-11-2021, after a 25 hour observation period, log(13).txt showed 25 hours of events with 32068 lines. 

[iii] On 30-11-2021, after a 24 hour observation period, log(14).txt showed 9 hours of events with 29070 lines. 

Both modems only had one PC connected with occasional web surfing during the day - so majority of time they were idle. Readings were taken before 5 am every day. The DJA0230 is still on previous firmware level 20.3.c.0329-MR19-RB

MTBnut

I suspect you are right about the de-prioritising of the event logging.

What about the size of your log( ).txt files from the upgraded DJA0231?  I found they used to be about 4600kb on the old firmware, but are now only 213kb, containing much less info than they used to. 

Mkrtich

Yes, same pattern. It appears that memory allocations have changed in this firmware, perhaps in readiness for activation of new features in forthcoming future software. Also as you mention, showing less worthwhile events in the data records.

DJA0231 20.3.c.0389-MR20-RA : log(10).txt - 259.4 kB  , log(11).txt - 966.1 kB

DJA0230 20.3.c.0329-MR19-RB:  log (12).txt - 4.4MB , log(13).txt - 4.5 MB and log(13).txt - 4.5 MB. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more