MTBnut
Level 3: Gumshoe

DJA0231 - Telstra reboots my SmartModem overnight

Answered

My DJA0231 (latest firmware) provides reliable service on FTTN, but over the last few months I've noticed some unusual interruptions to service. If, for any reason, I reboot my modem, then at precisely 3:40am the next morning, the DSL link would drop out and restart o.k. within 2-3 minutes, giving me an entirely different public IP. This happens without restarting the modem. You can see the exact time in the modem log for 'xDSL link down' entry. This 3:40am link restart is highly repeatable after any time the modem is rebooted. No further dropouts would occur for the days/week/months until the next unscheduled reboot.

Telstra have noted the unscheduled reboots, and thinking they are unintentional dropouts, have SMS'd me and say they will reconfigure my NBN service to improve reliability. It appears they have done this by replacing the xDSL dropouts with a Telstra initiated reboot of the whole modem, once again at 3:40am the next day. This happened for the first time this morning, and I'm hoping it won't happen again tomorrow in an endless 24hr groundhog day cycle.

Sometimes the modem will reboot when NBNCo are doing scheduled maintenance upgrades overnight, and then the process above repeats the next day.

Is there anyone with inside knowledge to confirm that Telstra is indeed initiating these reboots?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Stimpy
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: DJA0231 - Telstra reboots my SmartModem overnight

This is a known issue to do with how upload shaping is applied, will be fixed in about 2 weeks time. The resynch in the early hours of the morning should only happen once per speed tier change but instead it is happing every time the Smart Modem is rebooted.

View solution in original post

Stimpy
Accepted Solution

The resynch is triggering a request for a new IP. That it is resynching a second time in the early hours of the morning to apply upload shaping on every reboot is modem firmware related.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

You could try two tests:

(a) disconnect all connected LAN devices and shutdown the WiFi in the evening, then check the next day if the modem restart occurred as you have described.

(b) use a different modem to see if the issue occurs with it.

Stimpy
Accepted Solution

This is a known issue to do with how upload shaping is applied, will be fixed in about 2 weeks time. The resynch in the early hours of the morning should only happen once per speed tier change but instead it is happing every time the Smart Modem is rebooted.

MTBnut

That makes a lot more sense.  After the initial couple of reboots this week and subsequent resynch, my modem has stabilised. I'd assumed the dsl dropouts were Telstra assigning me to different public IP's (1.159.xxx.xxx, 124.187.xxx.xxx, and lately 139.168.xxx.xxx) but couldn't understand why it was necessary to drop the link to do so.  I'm not too familiar with the NBN-Telstra network architecture, but am guessing that it is Telstra that assigns my IP and also initiates resynching at my nearest POI.  Do you know if the upcoming resynch fix will be within Tesltra equipment, or is it modem firmware related? My firmware is 18.1.c.0585-MR7.1-RA

Stimpy
Accepted Solution

The resynch is triggering a request for a new IP. That it is resynching a second time in the early hours of the morning to apply upload shaping on every reboot is modem firmware related.

MTBnut

Thanks.  From that, I take it that the resynching issue will require Telstra to roll out updated firmware.  I assume from then on, any reboot will not be followed by another resynch early next morning.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more