MeandIn
Level 2: Rookie

Does a modem have a shelf life?

I have a Telstra smart modem, gen 2. Never had an issue until it threw my sons PlayStation off. And has never reconnected. No big deal. Now its thrown my Telstra T box off. So i replaced the T box thinking it may be this. No, wasn't the box. Doesn't find the internet now. I now have to Factory reset my modem every few days. Nightly sometimes. And it doesn't always work. My Telstra phone doesn't connect to the home internet, It cant find my network. It isn't on a private setting either. Today my son informed me he'd used a lot of his data as his phone keeps losing the home internet. It is getting increasingly frustrating as i have unlimited but keep getting thrown off. 

Does the modem need replacing? Its the only thing i can think of now.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Does a modem have a shelf life?

Modems don't have a shelf life but they do develop faults and sometimes they get a firmware update that introduces new functions or bugs that can cause some devices to lose there internet connection.

As a first step I would check that both WiFi bands are transmitting at above -40 dbm close to modem. You can do this by installing a WiFi analyzer on an Android phone or a PC that has dual band WiFi.

Also check front light on modem is green. If front light is blue mode is on 4G back due to a fault on the link.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Do all the devices you mention, connect over Wi-Fi?

What make/model of the Smart Modem 2 is it? and is the single light on the front showing Green or Blue?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
MeandIn

Light is green. 

MeandIn

My phone connects to other WIFI without an issue. PlayStation also does. 

Light is green. 

SteveW_52

By default, the Smart Modem 2 devices are set with Band Styeering enabled. This uses a common name and password for both the Wi-Fi bands - 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, to allow the connecting devices to use whichever band suits them. However both models of modem have a history of the 2.4 GHz band failing (which is why @cf4 suggested using an analyser app to see if they are both operating). Without an analyser, you can open the modem interface at 192.168.0.1 and then log in using username: admin & password: Telstra

Once you are in the GUI, go to the Wi-Fi area and on the 2.4 GHz tap uncheck (disable) Band Steering, then save. Now, when you try to connect (the original Wi-Fi password will still work) there should be two Wi-Fi networks showing - one is the original name (2.4 GHz) and the other is the original name with -5G added on the end (5 GHz). If you can only see the 5G one, then the 2.4 band has probably failed. If you report that to Telstra, via the My Testra app | Get Help page - Blue chat icon, they will replace the modem.

Many low cost, older devices only have the 2.4 GHz band, so if that is not available then you can't connect by Wi-Fi. Connecting by cable will still work OK if the sevices are close enough.

Stevo 52
MeandIn

Thanks. Disabled 24 and it connected. It lasted for 3 days and has now repeated itself. ie lost and cant see my internet. Looks like a factory reset again. Then Telstra to replace the modem.

Thanks anyway

SteveW_52

@MeandIn   I hope you mean you disabled band steering?  If the problem has returned then it could be that you modem has updated the firmware (Telstra manage that and at their own time/date) so check the Band Steering setting again.

Stevo 52

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more