Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Does the Telstra Smart Modem (4G backup) work with the Telstra Smart Antenna?

Answered

Hi, my only home Internet access is via the Telstra Smart Modem 4G SIM. However, I'm only receiving speeds of around 0.14Mbps to 0.24Mps download speeds despite promising a max speed of 6 Mbps. Prior to some houses being erected nearby my speeds were sitting around the 4Mbps speeds.

I live in a blackspot and therefore I've just purchased the Telstra Smart Antenna in the hope that it would boost the speeds. The booster is showing 2-3 bars pretty consistently so I thought that this would resolve the issues, however, it hasn't made a lick of difference.

Now I'm trying to work out whether I return the Smart Antenna within the given window of 14 days. Can anyone advise whether the Smart Modem does in fact work with the Smart Antenna?

Any help would be appreciated. Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Does the Telstra Smart Modem (4G backup) work with the Telstra Smart Antenna?

Is the Smart Antennae the new 4G one or the old Smart Antennae. The old Smart Antennae is designed for 3G only will not work on a 4G which is what the Smart Modem uses. To check if the Antennae has improved the reception log into the modem http://192.168.0.1 and check the received signal (Advanced > Mobile > Diagnostics. See section 25 of document attached to this post

The low speeds could be due to the 4G backup on your modem being throttled. If the backup is used for an extended period of time the speed gets throttled to 256 Kbps. If the usage is due to a fault the throttling can be removed by contacting support.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Does the Telstra Smart Modem (4G backup) work with the Telstra Smart Antenna?

Is the Smart Antennae the new 4G one or the old Smart Antennae. The old Smart Antennae is designed for 3G only will not work on a 4G which is what the Smart Modem uses. To check if the Antennae has improved the reception log into the modem http://192.168.0.1 and check the received signal (Advanced > Mobile > Diagnostics. See section 25 of document attached to this post

The low speeds could be due to the 4G backup on your modem being throttled. If the backup is used for an extended period of time the speed gets throttled to 256 Kbps. If the usage is due to a fault the throttling can be removed by contacting support.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

It does sound like the speeds that you are getting are due to your service being throttled.

The Smart Antenna is not really meant to be used with the new smart modem. Plugging an external antenna into the Smart Modem would work far better (and be a lot cheaper).

Has your mobile phone reception in your house improved since getting the Smart Antenna? If not, it is not going to be doing anything for your modem either.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thx cf4,

Yes the Smart Antenna is the new 4G one. It hasn't really improved the speed of our connection though.

As this is our only Internet Connection in the home at the moment (extended) we are fully reliant on the 4G backup. Long story but had to go through the Ombudsman in order to just get the Smart Modem .

It does sound like the throttling may in fact be the issue. Do you know whether the throttling can be 'turned off' completely by Telstra or would re-occur? Technically we don't actually have an account with Telstra despite the fact that the modem was provided by Telstra.

Highlighted

Thx Jupiter. Yes it sounds like the throttling may be the issue and that the Smart Antenna is not required. Would be nice to get back my $960!
Highlighted

I can't see any technical reason why the throttling could not be turned off permanently. Perhaps @Yastiandrie or @343GuiltySpark would be able to give a more definite answer

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Personally I dont see why it wouldnt work as the 4G signal is being repeated. However if you are throttled it wont make any difference.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

If you don't have an account with Telstra, who is your provider?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

It's a very long story Jupiter but in short....

I'm living in a new development (house) which has an NBN pit out the front but NBN records are out of date and therefore do not recognise that in fact we have the pit (with cable) out the front (even though the neighbour is connected to the NBN via the same pit).

As we have chosen to use Telstra as our phone provider, Telstra is required to provide us with a phone line (fixed line), however as the Telstra lines do not run down our street (NBN enabled) Telstra could not provide us with phone or data. It also seems that Telstra has no influence with the NBN Co. in order to rectify NBN's records.

After a long and protracted process involving the Ombudsman, Telstra have eventually chosen to provide me with a Smart Modem so that I can have access to the Internet (whilst the NBN sort themselves out) free of charge. Therefore technically this Smart Modem is not attached to an actual account (although I do have 2 x post-paid mobile phone accounts).

Does any of this make any sense? ; )

It's been complete madness!

Highlighted

Ok. Makes more sense, but there will be an account attached to the service, otherwise it wouldn't function (it may have had credit applied to it by Telstra to zero the amount of money you owe though).

It definitely sounds like the service has been throttled (there is no mechanism available to avoid this). You need to call 1800 834 273 and get the consultant to submit the webform to unthrottle the service (which will take a day or 2 to be actioned). It will get throttled again, so when that happens, you will need to call back again.
Highlighted

OMG! I've called them 3 times since Monday and the complaints manager is never available. I'm not sure what's the point of documenting a complaint and providing a reference number if there's no intent to resolve anything!
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Cheezel,

I'm very sorry to hear you've had a little difficultly chatting to your chase manager recently, may I please ask for your SR reference number? I'm happy to contact them directly for you and requests a contact for you as soon as possible.

-Zoe 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Zoe,

After an hour on the phone I've been told that I'll receive a call within the hour from the case manager. I'm not holding my breath. My ref is SR1 - 1661120921038.

THx
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thank you, I can see this SR was only created on the 3rd, we generally ask for 3-5 business days for contact to be made by your case manager. They will review your account and get back to you soon. Please let us know how this goes. -Zoe 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

HI Zoe,

after a couple more hours last night a web form has been filled in and I've been told I'll need to wait another couple of days. No promises that they can resolve the issue though was the advice.

I'll keep you posted. - Cheezel
Highlighted

Many thanks guys. It seems that the throttling was the issue. Wouldn't have been able to resolve it without your help. Legends!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more