Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Eero Mesh Network setup with Telstra Cable Internet (Technicolor DJA0231 + Netgear Modem)

Hi there,

I currently run Cable internet using the Technicolor DJA0231 and Netgear Modem, with 

approx. 15 wifi devices & 3 wired devices to the Technicolor modem.

I have just bought 2 x Amazon Eero wifi routers, with the intention of setting up a mesh network.

I am trying to work out the optimal setup here, and based on the research on the forum, I understand the general gist is to:

1. Set the Technicolor modem to "bridged" mode and disable wifi;

2. Hard-wire the main Eero wifi router to any of the LAN ports on the technicolor modem.

3. I will then hard-wire the second Eero wifi router into the main Eero router.

Is this correct?

Are there any other specific instructions and/or settings that I should be also adjusting to ensure an optimal setup?

And lastly, I presume it would be OK to still have the 3 x wired devices still connected to the Technicolor modem?

Thanks in advance all,

Harry

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Eero Mesh Network setup with Telstra Cable Internet (Technicolor DJA0231 + Netgear Modem)

Best to connect the Main Eero to the Netgear Cable adapter an connect the DJA0231 configured as an Access point as per section 34 in document linked in this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

You can turn off the WiFi on the DJA0231 and use it as a switch.

If you place the DJA0231 in front off the Eero in Bridge mode you can only connect one device to it. You will only be able to use one LAN port.

Highlighted

Re: Eero Mesh Network setup with Telstra Cable Internet (Technicolor DJA0231 + Netgear Modem)

Thanks cf4, that's very helpful.

A few points of clarity if you don't mind:

1. I presume I'd still set the DJA0231 in bridge mode?

2. Would I connect the main Eero to the WAN port on the DJA0231, or would any port be ok?

3. I presume it'd be ok to then patch the second Error into any of the LAN ports on the DJA0231?

Many thanks for your help.

Highlighted

You don't need to Bridge the DJA0231 but if you don't Bridge you will have to connect to main Eero to a LAN port on the DJA0231 leaving you with only three LAN ports. The benefits of nog Bridging is you still have access to the GUI of the DJA0231. If you Bridge you want have access to the DJA0231 GUI but can connect it to main Eero by WAN port leaving 4 spare LAN ports.

The second Eero would connect to a LAN port on the DJA0231.

Highlighted

Hi cf4,

I'm just going through the process now and have hit a couple of hurdles. I'm hoping you can help.

1. I set the DJA0231 to ''bridge'' mode and connected it (via WAN port) to one of the ports on the Eero. I now can't get into the web interface to disable WIFI (as it's still broadcasting SSID). The light remains green on the DJA0231. How can I access the web console to disable WIFI?

2. I've connected the Netgear modem directly to the Eero via cable. The eero doesn't seem to be picking up an internet connection. I can't see anywhere in the Eero platform to enter a user/pass. Is this an authentication issue? I'm half wondering whether it's related to the DJA0231 being connected...

I really appreciate your help and expertise with this.... was hoping I wouldn't need more help!

Highlighted

With DJA0231 in Bridge mode you can't access its GUI, you can Turn the DJA0230 WiFi off by pressing the WiFi button on the front of the modem. The WiFi light should turn off.

This is the way I would connect.

Netgear Cable Adapter--------Eero Router------- (WAN) DJA0230

Settings in DJA0230

IPv6 off (Advanced > Local Network > IPv6 state)

Bridged (Advanced > Local Network and scroll down to Network Mode)

On a cable connection you don't need a username and password.

Edit

Have just noticed that the Eero has the same LAN IP address as the DJA0230 (192.168.0.1) so suggest you do a factory reset of the DJA0231 and change its IP address to 192.168.0.2. See section 23 for how to do this. You will need to to change DHCP start address to 192.168.0.3 to enable you to do this.

Settings in DJA0230

IPv6 off (Advanced > Local Network > IPv6 state)

LAN IP address 192.168.0.2

Bridged (Advanced > Local Network and scroll down to Network Mode)

Highlighted

Hi cf4,

I just wanted to thank you for your guidance. I've now got it set up how you suggested and it's all working like a charm.

Regards

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more