Jokevin
Level 1: Cadet

Email rec'd from Telstra with instructions re Quick Fix to stay connected with Telstra smart modem

We received an email from Telstra with instructions about a quick fix that was needed to stay connected with our Telstra smart modem. This is to do with the modem switching over to 4G in the event of an outage. We have followed the instructions but the mobile signal light on the modem is still off. The solution on the webpage is to contact Telstra support but I'm still waiting for someone to respond. Is there anything I should be trying in the meantime?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Email rec'd from Telstra with instructions re Quick Fix to stay connected with Telstra smart mod

Have you unplugged the incoming connection cord from the modem?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jokevin

Re: Email rec'd from Telstra with instructions re Quick Fix to stay connected with Telstra smart mod

I'll try that. The instructions were that the modem was just to be turned off at the modem but it's worth trying unplugging it totally. Thanks.

cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

There are a couple of things you could try.

1. Try removing and reinserting the SIM. On Gen 2 modems SIM is located on back of modem. Insert the edge with cut off corner in first and side with metal contacts facing ethernet ports. On gen 1 modems SIM card is located on bottom of modem. Insert end with cut off corner in first with cut off corner side near back of modem.
  2. Factory reset modem by pressing reset button for at least 10 seconds. Reset button is on back of modem near LAN port 2 on the Gen 2 modems and the Gen 1 modems have reset button on front of modem under power button.
Jokevin

Telstra chat have advised that the email instructions are to be disregarded!

Apparently the mobile back up light on the modem will only work if/when there's an outage. Why would their instructions say to contact them if the mobile signal light is still off if that's not correct? Looks like we'll just have to wait until there's an outage to see if the fix has been done correctly!  

cf4

The mobile mode light only turns green during an outage but Mobile signal should be either green orange or red.

You can test if working by disconnecting the modem's WAN or DSL port(Depending on which port is used for internet connection) and waiting 5 minutes for Mobile Mode light to turn green (Gen 2 modems) or online light to turn purple (Gen 1 modems).

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more