Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Express VPN Router

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can talk me through setting up Express VPN on a router? I currently use on Mac, iPhone, iPad etc but through Apple TV can only use Mediastreamer and there are many US TV apps that aren't accessible through Mediastreamer. We have a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 on NBN but happy to purchase another device/router if it's a better option. Just need to know where to start. Thank you in anticipation.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Express VPN Router

I don't believe it is possible to add a VPN at the router level of the Telstra Smart Modem 2 but I might be wrong.

A different modem/router is an option but you then you might lose the home phone and or 4 G backup capability. You could use a third party router in conjunction with the Smart Modem 2 to get the best  of all worlds but it depends on the router you choose and what you consider most important. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Instructions for setting up express VPN will depend on the router. The Telstra modem's don't have VPN settings. You will need to use a third party router that supports VPNs such as Netgear R7000 or Linksys WRT3200ACM

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Steve,

Thanks SO much for the reply. Home phone and 4G back up not concerns but happy to get a third party router for best solution - do you have any recommendations? Basically just want to be able to access US TV apps via Apple TV and I think VPN via router is the best option?

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

What sort of NBN service do you have, what is the NBN connection to the Smart Modem 2 at present?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more