Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Extender for Telstra Business Smart Modem v7610

I needed a range extender for the Telstra Business Smart Modem (the V7610) and bought the Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster Gen 2.

Apparently this was a mistake. The Telstra business modem appears to be a generation behind the Telstra consumer modem and I couldn't get it to connect wirelessly to the Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster Gen 2 (a wired connection worked, but that doesn't solve my networking problem). This leads to two questions:

1. Is there a way to connect the two devices wirelessly that I haven't discovered?
  2. If I have to use a different wifi extender, is there a recommended device? (The Netgear EX7700 looks like it might work, but seems to be out of stock everywhere.)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Extender for Telstra Business Smart Modem v7610

Hi - your modem was designed for business applications.* If you are not using the V7610 for Telstra Business DOT services and keen to keep the Booster, you may wish to consider buying a new/unused or used for short periods Telstra Smart Modem Gen from Gumtree, eBay or Cash Converters. Some people have unrealistic pricing on them, but you should be able to source one for under $50 - people have changed carriers, others have ended up with two or more for various reasons. 

* you should have been asked about your existing modem before Telstra was sold to you. It is compatible to Gen 1.1 and Gen 2 Modems only. 

The Netgear EX7700 is a good wireless Repeater, however if feasible, your best connection to a remote repeater is with an Ethernet cable. Wireless solutions operate at half the potential speed due to the repeater having to receive data from devices connected to it and then sending that data back to the host sharing the radio link between the two actions. It may not be an issue in home environments. My neighbour has a previous version to the one your are considering, the  EX6200 and is happy with his.  

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply. Ethernet cabling is not an option. I tried using a Powerline system to get Ethernet over the electrical cabling, but that didn't work (I have used it successfully in other contexts, but the wiring configuration is apparently not suitable in this case).

I mainly need the connection in order to network a mono printer with few users, so speed isn't a big issue. The EX6200 may be the way to go.

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you only need a extender to provide a Ethernet connection for a printer a much cheaper solution is TP-Link TL-WA850RE. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/177857011

Highlighted

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up ordering this one:

https://www.binglee.com.au/netgear-ex6250-ac1750-wifi-mesh-extender

I mainly need the extender in order to provide an Ethernet connection for a printer, but there is a large area to be covered by wifi, so the greater capabilities of the EX6250 may come in handy.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more